• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much should a french lop eat?

k1984

Mama Doe
My french lop girl is now 11 weeks old and she is eating like a horse! What amount of pellets should I feed her per day? I don't want to be feeding too much! Luckily she's also clearing the daily piles of hay and seems very happy and healthy as she's growing quickly! I just want to maintain this and not to over/under feed her. I'm sure she'd clear absolutely any food I'd give her at the moment! :lol:

Thanks

I've found that with the standard suggested amount of pellets doesn't work for a French Lop. For a growing bunny I would say go for unlimited pellets (or as many as you can get away with without excess caecals) and loads of hay. My french lop cross eats two large handfuls of pellets daily, plus hay and readigrass. My other bunnies all have one or two pellets a day unless they have a medical condition that requires a different diet. So yeh, I wouldn't worry too much to be honest.

There's a sticky in health that might be worth reading about taking on babies and accidental litters.

For Frenchies I find it will go either one way or another, you will either have to feed her loads because she is big and she will be running aound everywhere or she will be a lazy so and so and pellets will be minimal. My old frenchie x girl had NO pellets, she was prone to being *ahem* large and so we cut out pellets all together to manage her weight.
At 11 weeks she is only young, I would give her a small handful a couple of times a day. Just monitor her weight and poops as she gets older and adjust acordingly.

Thanks for your replies. She is very active at the moment, guess with her still being such a baby, so I'll keep feeding her as I am doing and keep my eye on her. She seems very happy and healthy so I can't complain really. Just want to do my best by her. I :love: her!

Thanks again

i agree with sky-o my 6 year old frenchie gets 2 hand fulls of pellets a day along with unlimited hay and a few herbs and veggies. i find that he looses condition on just hay and veg alone, but every bun is different.
i also gave storm unlimited food as a baby. it's amazing how much they can eat. they have so much growing to do lol

DSCF1686.jpg

I eat alot :D

At 11 weeks I would feed unlimited pellets (good quality ones only!) as frenchies and giants grow so quickly in their first 6 months, so good nutrition is a must.

Once she reaches 6 months monitor her weight carefully - my frenchie is a big lazy lump and has always been large. She has an in-built food radar and can find any food absolutely anywhere:lol:

my Frenchie is 3 and she gets 70g of pellets a day, 3 small plates of veg and unlimited hay and readigrass and she still begs for food as if she is starving! Daisy is also a big lazy bun! Seems to be a running trend here with the frenchies!

I can't imagine her being a lazy lump! :roll: Thanks for the advice, glad to hear I'm doing things right! Can't wait to watch her grow! She's already a big girl at 11 weeks! :lol::love:

Love the pic btw! So gorgeous! :love:

I have three frenchie brothers. One is a huge fatty wallop, one is slim and athletic, and one is a perfect chunky monkey. And they all eat same amounts and exercise the same. At eleven weeks I would let her eat what she wants, then as she matures adjust accordingly. Mine have a teacup of science selective twice a day and unlimited hay. The thinner one is bonded to the fat one, so I give him an occasional barley ring to help him keep weight on.

Frenchies inhale food! :lol: I agree with what has already been said that at 11 weeks def let her eat up as she is still growing. Piccies please when you can!!

Hello!

My frenchie pair are 5 months and I am still basically free feeding.

My boy is a fat old lump and my girl is on the thin side. There's a whole kilo weigh difference between them!!

I was advised with French lops you can free fee up to 8 months, even

Thanks guys, that advice is brilliant! I'll do just that :thumb: I have been buying the bags of food from the pet shop. Think I'm gonna have to start getting the sacks! :shock:
With regards piccies - I'll try and sort some today :D:thumb:

Back