• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chewing stitches? and vetergesic?

MichG

Mama Doe
My Jasper had one of his front legs amputated on Wednesday and he is doing well without it... Except he keeps licking his wound. He has skin sutures and has nearly pulled 1 out already (surprise surprise!!) Vet has advised vetergesic as it is obviously sore for him (he is on metacam twice daily) and he keeps snapping at his partner. I am worried about vetergesic as it can cause gut slow down and sedate a little bit. Is there any way to stop him chewing? Would prefer not to have to use a lampshade collar if I can.

Well I can't help out with info but I just read it and sending loads a get well vibes there is a lady on here who has just nursed a bunny thru having a leg amputated her name is JJS maybe she could give you advice :love:

Could you put a babgrow on him and sew up the arm?
He might chew the babygrow so you could get a couple.

Could you put a babgrow on him and sew up the arm?
He might chew the babygrow so you could get a couple.
Genius idea!!! Gonna nip to Saisburys and have a look. Knowing him it will be off in 30seconds but is worth a try!

Genius idea!!! Gonna nip to Saisburys and have a look. Knowing him it will be off in 30seconds but is worth a try!

It wasn't my idea, someone else did it for a doe who'd been spayed. :wave:
My Sainsburys have baby clothes on sale for a couple of quid each so hopefully your do to.

Personally I'd want to give Vetergesic

I would not fancy coping with a limb amputation on just a NSAID as post op analgesia.

Pain/stress is more likely to cause gut slow down

Hope he heals soon xx

Well the baby gro didn't work, he managed to get out of it pretty easily, even though I modified a new born one (was far too big) and effectivly sewed him into it.

Jane, I never thought about it in the way and as soon as I saw youre message last night I gave him the vetergesic, he seems fine on it and was munching a mouthful of hay when I came down this morning.

Back