• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

That's poppy booked in for her spay... Ah it's tomorrow I'm Scared ):

Charmednm

Mama Doe
Tuesday at 9.10. I'm off work for a week so I've got the time to look after her, any advice would be great. I'm nervous :/

Last edited:
Doughnut was spayed last year, I took a few days off.

I was given metacam to give her and fibreplex. Had to put the metacam on her food after the first syringe feeding as it was too stressful.

She was given an injection so only needed to start the metacam the following morning. When she got home I was putting her in her hutch for rest and she'd jumped up on a ledge. Nearly had a heart attack as was worried about her stitches. Best to keep her in her hutch for 24 hours in the quiet.

I was worried as when I went down the following day she hadn't eaten anything and was told she needed to go back in if she hadn't eaten for 24 hours (by the following afternoon/evening). She started eating about noon so just less than 24 hours after the op, so don't panic like I did. She wasn't in any pain just more quiet.

I gave her a bowl of water as well as her bottle but she continued to use the bottle but some find it easier to use the bowl. She loves her pellets but they were the last thing she fancied. Get some of her favourite foods in and especially herbs as they seem to go for that first. Doughnut now loves rose leaves and I think most rabbits do so if she's already used to eating them, they are a good thing to try first.

Once she started eating her pellets again, I think it was a few days, I knew she was fine. She went back a week later to have her stitches out.

Hope this helps:D

Ensure she comes home with ~1 weeks worth of pain relief (metacam) and keep her on restricted movement for at least 3-4 days (modify her environment so she cant jump up on things) so she doesn't pull the wound. Keep an eye that she isn't pulling at the wound also, as she may have to go back for further attention if she does.

I was thinking of getting mine done together so they are both tired / dopey and don't annoy each other! Is that recommended or should I keep them completely separate after the op?

PS hope everything goes well for Poppy, keep us updated :D :)

I was thinking of getting mine done together so they are both tired / dopey and don't annoy each other! Is that recommended or should I keep them completely separate after the op?

PS hope everything goes well for Poppy, keep us updated :D :)

Are they both female?

if so, yes, have them spayed at the same time, then they can come home together and their bond *shouldn't* (not guaranteed) be broken and they'll get comfort from each other during recovery time.

Are they both female?

if so, yes, have them spayed at the same time, then they can come home together and their bond *shouldn't* (not guaranteed) be broken and they'll get comfort from each other during recovery time.

Yes they're both girls :) I know people think they can't bond fully because they're not spayed but I think they have quite a strong bond at the minute. They're very close and constantly clean / groom one another. It's so cute :love: I'm looking forward to getting them "done" though, the cancer risk scares me :(

Ave got my indoor bunny in a Ferplast 100 just now so I'm gonna move her and put poppy
In it for a couple of days so a can keep a good eye on her. She's my baby lol. Wee question she had phantom pregnancy and the nest she built is still up will it be okay to dismantle after she's spayed or will it still upset her :/

Not sure about the nest but you will be given metacam, if not insist you get some, from the vets. It's syringed fed so pop in her mouth. I just can't it with Doughnut, she wriggles too much and can't catch her, they make it look easy in the vets. My friend grew up with rabbits and she came round the first morning as Doughnut wasn't eating. After that I mixed it with her food. I discovered she actually loved the fibreplex so you will be given that too, so I syringed it onto a tiny bit of weetabix and then put the fibreplex on top! She only gets weetabix when she needs meds as it's so much less stress to put it on there as she loves it. Give that a go if you can't do the syringing or put it on some herbs.

I don't give Doughnut fruit but I know some people on her put the meds in a bit of banana or apple. Just don't give her something she's not used to though. The tiny bit of weetabix won't harm her as it soaks it up well and I just give a fingernail size if that makes sense!

I stressed so much about her eating and getting the meds in but after I tried the weetabix trick it was fine.

Poppys doesn't let you hold her so ill be doing that haha!
Your wee buns so cute btw! How old od she in your sig?

She's about 10 weeks there. She's bigger now but still very small for a mini lop. She's 1.1kg about 2lb 4, so only a little one and she's a year old.

I'm sure she'll be fine. Doughnut wasn't in any pain because of her meds which made me feel better.

A couple of days of worry far outweighs the worry of her getting cancer, you're doing the right thing and helping prolong her life.

Back