• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with my pestering male!

brutalbaby

Warren Scout
So I got my male neutered back in March, and this week Ive put him together with the females, he doesn't fight them and they don't fight him, but he will pester them. Always trying to mount them, I thought he would of calmed down by now. I have his 2 daughters and the mum, and them 3 get on so well together, the mum gets on fine with the dad but she gets fed up with him trying to mount her all the time. I really wish it will stop.

Are all ya females spayed , my male has just stopped chasing my female after 3 long weeks of trying and I had them 4 years and they are both neutered/spayed and it's the first time in 4 years he's been like that :)

Are all ya females spayed , my male has just stopped chasing my female after 3 long weeks of trying and I had them 4 years and they are both neutered/spayed and it's the first time in 4 years he's been like that :)

No the females are not fixed. I though that maybe this could be the problem, but he really is just a pest to them, now when they are in the garden running around he is fine he wont bother, but as soon as they are in a more confined area he don't stop chasing them. What did you do, how did you manage to get them all to get on with out your male pestering them?

Getting the females spayed will help. Firstly will help hormones calm down, so should help the male settle. Also will help with their health - 80-90% of uneutered females have uterine cancer by the age of 5.
Also remember humping isn't just sexual, it's also dominance behaviour. My trio of boys were humping for 2 weeks until they had settled down together and established hierachy.

No the females are not fixed. I though that maybe this could be the problem, but he really is just a pest to them, now when they are in the garden running around he is fine he wont bother, but as soon as they are in a more confined area he don't stop chasing them. What did you do, how did you manage to get them all to get on with out your male pestering them?

You're just asking for trouble unfortunately.

He's trying to assert his dominance over them, they are unspayed so will be giving off all manner of pheremones (sp?) etc and enticing him to chase, part of the mating process.

His persistant pestering may cause them to flip, then fight and you could end up with very hurt bunnies, not to mention an expensive vet bill.

How old are your does? I assume you are aware of the cancer risks etc, but if not, might be worth reading up about :)

Well ya can't really stop them but it is lots better if the females are spayed ;) I just bought some extra step stools to put in both runs and house and 2 more tunnels so she could get under the stools or in the tunnels but he was only naughty at early morning and evening if and when ya can I would think about getting ya females spayed because there hormones will be high as well:D

Typo

Was it march this year ya male was neutered ? I believe you have to keep them separate for a length of time from females because they are still fertile for a certain length of time after a neuter :)

Last edited:
Just worked it out, it was the end of February that I got him fixed. I believe that it is 6 weeks that you have to leave them due to the possibility of him still being fertile. I do know the risks of the females being unspayed to cancer, my mummy doe is 3 and the babies 4months or so old. Obviously I couldn't get the doe fixed until she had her babies, and the baby ones being too young. Ive just got all their injections sorted, so that was a big hole in my wallet. As soon as I can afford to get them done will do :)

He's not trying to mount the little baby girls also is he , if he is he could stress the baby's I'm not sure someone with a lot more knowledge will probably be able to help you better than I can :)

He has tried chasing the babies a few times, but its manly the mum he is always pestering, One of the babies, Willow sits with him cleaning him. Jack has calmed a little bit compared to what he was the beginning of the week.

Back