• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffle bunny thread.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
This thread is for everyone who has a rabbit with snuffles.
I've noticed that when Grim seems to be bad with his snuffles, other rabbits on RU are bad as well. Today Grim is doing a lot better. :)

It's always a roller coaster ride for all of us, so we can share that together here. And I'm also going to make a note of the weather, temperature, humidity and air pressure. If anyone has anything at all they want to add or monitor, please add it. This can be a communal diary for all our snuffle buns. I'm hoping to see a pattern somewhere, so in the future I can predict when he might be bad, but if there are no patterns then it will just be a thread where we can all give each other support and discuss the ups and downs of life with a snotty, sneezy, lovable ball of fluff, and in Grim's case, pus. :love::love:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today Grim is on an up. He's relaxed although he's still audibly snuffly.

Weather: overcast/raining
Temperature: 8 dc
Humidity: 94%
Pressure: 1009mb
(From the BBC)

*subscribes to thread*

Boris got bad again 2 weeks ago but after a course of abx seems to be doing better :D He's just a little snuffly now, sneezes occasionally but doesn't have actual sneezing fits like before. No coughing either :) I've been trying to work out what could be causing him to have flare-ups and there seems to be a connection with humidity or possibly changes in temperature/climate. He originally fell ill in September sometime, when it all of a sudden went quite humid outside (and probably inside as well). He was put on Septrin and was fine all winter, and then as it started getting warmer and again, more humid outside/inside, he got worse again. I don't think it's a coincidence :?

*subscribes to thread*

Boris got bad again 2 weeks ago but after a course of abx seems to be doing better :D He's just a little snuffly now, sneezes occasionally but doesn't have actual sneezing fits like before. No coughing either :) I've been trying to work out what could be causing him to have flare-ups and there seems to be a connection with humidity or possibly changes in temperature/climate. He originally fell ill in September sometime, when it all of a sudden went quite humid outside (and probably inside as well). He was put on Septrin and was fine all winter, and then as it started getting warmer and again, more humid outside/inside, he got worse again. I don't think it's a coincidence :?

You should add the weather etc in Sweden too, to keep track of it. I always meant to start a diary but never did, now it's on RU I'll have to keep on top of it. :lol:

This isn't the time of year that Mischa and Nutmeg's usually flares up but would be interested to keep track of this thread. I've started using echinachea in their water in hopes it might help a bit.

Both my two are off to the vets tomorrow (yet again :roll: )

Not sure what the day data was but now in Aberystwyth it is:
9 degrees celsius
humidity 88%
pressure 1010mb

They came off the baytril sunday and their noses were still damp but they werent sneezing so I thought I'd wait a few days and see what happened. Earlier Anna was doing some sort of weird mini sneezing, I think she just was sniffing or dislodging some discharge maybe, (sorry if TMI). Then B had a sneezing fit of about 9 sneezes tonight too. B's breathing has been audible for the last 2 days.

And Anna just went for Barney too, first time in weeks, its always out of character when she does it.

They both have been off their hay for the last 2 days as well, not sure if thats related. They go nuts for their pellets, apple sticks, veg, oat hay and readigrass, but wont touch their main hay. As a result B is really going for paper and cardboard today. So teeth will be checked tomorrow as well.

I'm at the vets every two weeks, sometimes more. Pretty sure the vet either thinks I'm a hyperchondriact with them or not looking after them properly, as its just one thing after another with Barney and he keeps asking 'what have you done to them this time?'. Sigh...

My 2 snufflies are on marbocyl and metacam and they had a tear duct flush last week to see if that helped any. It hasn't :( Tilly likes to fling her mucus around or leave it in the middle of the rug for me to step in :roll: but Munch cleans his up with his paws. He's snorting quite a bit too with a permanent damp nose so we will be back at the vets again :( Which reminds me I'm low on meds and its a bank holiday weekend :shock:

ETA 8.c
Humidity: 85%
Visibility: Good
Pressure: 1009mb, Falling

Are the majority of snufflers house buns? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Somerset, on the Coast.
Temp Currently: 7 degrees C
Conditions: overcast/drizzling
Humidity: unsure, dont have anything to monitor it right now and the BBC site hates me today

Ginger condition; audibly snuffly also, 3 sneezing fits this morning alone :( but very bright and very 'Gingery' - slightly runny right eye, so could be dental time.

Nessar, could it be they hay is setting off the sneezing being dusty? I think Thumps_ said something along the lines of that with Benjie.

Today it's approximately 9 degrees Celsius where I'm at. Raining and very humid.

Boris has been a little worse today. Had a little sneezing fit this morning which hasnt happened in nearly a week. I've purchased a dehumidifier in the hope that it'll remove some of the humidity inside the basement and thus making things a little better for him. Also bought dried echinacea which he doesn't seem keen on, but will eat some of. If he stops eating this I'll get some extract and either put in their water or sneak into some food and give him daily. I'm not sure it'd help him at all but I figured it could be worth a shot. Might boost his immune system :)

Grim is a little worse. His eyes are more infected, big ball of puss came out of the left one when messaged. :(
He's been sneezing and had a little sneezing fit. A lot coming out of him.

Weather: overcast
Temperature: 8 dc
Humidity: 80%
Pressure: 1006mb

It could be the hay Jenova, they were eating a bowl of oat hay and readigrass before, and I find both quite dusty. Its also the only hay they'll properly eat atm :roll: Neither of them are eating enough hay still, but the vet isnt worried as they are still eating their favourite hays and everything else fine and there is no weight loss.

Aberystwyth as of 10pm is:
9 degrees
humidity 77%
pressure 1009mb

Anna & Barney have been good snuffles-wise today, but there was a lot of chasing early this morning. Anna also went for a dog (scared the living daylights out of it!) that sniffed her carrier at the vets. The rescue she was born at had dogs so she's not bothered by them and B doesnt care either, but it obviously got too close! I thought the stress of the trouble with her attacking Barney a while ago caused her snuffles, but I'm now wondering whether feeling ill/having snuffles is causing the aggression? Anyone had this?

Barney has put on weight, he's a healthy weight at 3.65kg, very proud of him. Vet doesnt want to keep putting them on antibiotics all the time, so as they are okay at the moment (damp noses and not that much sneezing) and the antibiotics didnt do much, he wants to try supporting their immune systems instead. They are going to have profibre pellets for probiotics, a vitamin and mineral supplement, echinacea, and dandelion (not sure why dandelion specifically, he was talking about variety in their diet and vitamins) along with the usual bisolvon and we're gonna see if that helps.

I also spoke to the vet about B's third eyelid showing, and he thinks it is caused by snuffles/stress/dust.

Last edited:
Boris has got worse overnight :( and is now back to breathing rapidly, sneezing loudly and coughing occasionally. As he was doing great just a few days ago after being on Septrin for approx. 2 weeks, I think it's due to the course being too short. My local vets are very reluctant to giving antibiotics generally speaking, I understand that they're cautious but I think it's getting ridiculous now. I have asked more experienced vets repeatedly if there is a problem with him being on Septrin for longer periods and they told me no, that's ok as long as it's doing something, which it is. What do you all think? Also this might be harder to answer because obviously each case is different, but how long should a course of abx be for snuffles? This time around it took about 6 days or so before his breathing got noticably better, the coughing stopped etc., and then another 4 days maybe before the sneezing became less frequent. I definitely think 2 weeks was too little, but again, inexperienced vet didn't want to put him on a long course straight away :roll: I'm gonna have to call them first thing in the morning and I fear it'll turn into a debate, so I need you guys to back me up/give me advice :( There is another vet about 40-50 minutes away who is supposedly rabbit savvy, but I'm a bit reluctant to taking him there when his breathing is this bad, it stresses him out so much and I'm scared it'll make him worse :( I'm contacting her for advice however.

Boris has got worse overnight :( and is now back to breathing rapidly, sneezing loudly and coughing occasionally. As he was doing great just a few days ago after being on Septrin for approx. 2 weeks, I think it's due to the course being too short. My local vets are very reluctant to giving antibiotics generally speaking, I understand that they're cautious but I think it's getting ridiculous now. I have asked more experienced vets repeatedly if there is a problem with him being on Septrin for longer periods and they told me no, that's ok as long as it's doing something, which it is. What do you all think? Also this might be harder to answer because obviously each case is different, but how long should a course of abx be for snuffles? This time around it took about 6 days or so before his breathing got noticably better, the coughing stopped etc., and then another 4 days maybe before the sneezing became less frequent. I definitely think 2 weeks was too little, but again, inexperienced vet didn't want to put him on a long course straight away :roll: I'm gonna have to call them first thing in the morning and I fear it'll turn into a debate, so I need you guys to back me up/give me advice :( There is another vet about 40-50 minutes away who is supposedly rabbit savvy, but I'm a bit reluctant to taking him there when his breathing is this bad, it stresses him out so much and I'm scared it'll make him worse :( I'm contacting her for advice however.

For snuffles I think they should be on antibiotics until all symptoms are gone and then for two weeks after that.
But Grim is on two types of antibiotics for life. He has baytril every day and penicillin injections every three days and will forever. It's not ideal at at all but it's the only thing that keeps the infection at bay. If I even stop the baytril for a few days he starts to have sneezing fits. I was really ill a while ago and didn't give him his medicine for a few days and it really hit him hard. The other thing is that by no destroying all the bacteria they learn to adapt to the antibiotics. So, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, by giving lots of short courses it can actually be worse.

I would ring the other vet and see if you brought him down if they'd be prepared to give a longer course if they thought it was necessary. It's so hard when you don't have a good vet. :( When my vet moved from the close practice another vet there couldn't understand why Grimlock was on all his medication and wanted to stop it just before Christmas. I had to argue and argue to let me have the repeat prescription. Now I always go to the better vet, even though it is so far away.

Grimlock is a little better today. I can still hear him breathing but he's not sneezing as much. :)

Weather: Overcast
Temperature: 7 dc
Humidity: 71%
Pressure: 1014mb

Thanks for replying! Back in December they finally gave in to letting him have Septrin for a month, which worked wonders and kept him healthy all winter. It's only recently, as it's got warmer and more humid outside and inside I believe, that his symptoms have returned. I'll speak to both vets tomorrow and push for another long course of abx, because these short ones arent working and make the problems worse if anything, when they do come back. Luckily he seems bright and alert and is eating well, which is the main thing :) He breathes quickly anyhow from what I think is scarring in his lungs :( so it tends to look a little worse than it is. It still is worrying however, I hate seeing him like this :( Keeping a close eye on him for now and spoiling him a little :)

Also, are there any other meds I could maybe combine the Septrin with to make him even more comfortable? He doesn't have any discharge but I was thinking maybe Metacam? He sneezes an awful lot and at times sounds like there's some swelling in the nasal cavities, making his breathing a little laboured (when he was at his worst last year he was mouth breathing :cry:)

Thanks for replying! Back in December they finally gave in to letting him have Septrin for a month, which worked wonders and kept him healthy all winter. It's only recently, as it's got warmer and more humid outside and inside I believe, that his symptoms have returned. I'll speak to both vets tomorrow and push for another long course of abx, because these short ones arent working and make the problems worse if anything, when they do come back. Luckily he seems bright and alert and is eating well, which is the main thing :) He breathes quickly anyhow from what I think is scarring in his lungs :( so it tends to look a little worse than it is. It still is worrying however, I hate seeing him like this :( Keeping a close eye on him for now and spoiling him a little :)

Also, are there any other meds I could maybe combine the Septrin with to make him even more comfortable? He doesn't have any discharge but I was thinking maybe Metacam? He sneezes an awful lot and at times sounds like there's some swelling in the nasal cavities, making his breathing a little laboured (when he was at his worst last year he was mouth breathing :cry:)

I can't remember who it was but someone was saying they always give Metacam to their snuffle bun because of the build up of gunk in the nasal passages and pressure on the sinuses etc. Grim has it on an off anyway because his eyes get quite swollen. it might be worth looking into or asking about. If the seprin works on its own I would just stick with that as he might be on medication for a long time it's best to keep it to the minimum.

Grim has been doing really well in the last 24 hours. :D
He's been lying down and really relaxing. Last night he was spooning Smoo and he looked so happy I didn't put him in the nebuliser because I just didn't have the heart to move him. :love:

Temperature: 15 dc
Weather: Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Pressure: 1007mb

Glad Grim is doing well :love: Barney was good this morning when I left, going to go home soon and see how he is. He sounded like a herd of elephants last night zooming about, its so loud, but even though it wakes me I'm so proud of him for doing it, I know that sounds silly but until recently he hadnt done that for about a year, so he's obviously finally feeling good in himself.

Is there any way to help clear their noses, other than bisolvon? He sounds like he's got a blocked up nose still, and the vet doesnt want to use antibiotics for a while and try supporting their immune systems instead, but I worry he cant breathe properly. Will they breathe through their mouths if they have to?

I'm toying with the idea of taking them to a vet that I know is very rabbit savvy, when I drop them off for boarding, as I know she uses a good one, anyone heard of Jason Burgess? But it would mean a 5 hour journey on the train (2 changes, so a total of 4 stations) then taxi to the vet (not sure where it is) then the vets and then travelling to the rescue, then them adapting to a new environment because they'll be in boarding, and getting used my absence. I think its too much for one day. But I feel I need to consult an expert with them, mainly Barney, as there is always something wrong with him, and I have a million questions to ask. Maybe its worth one day of horrible stress, I dont know :?

Boris is doing ok, has a runny eye which Bella looks after well :love: Sneezes and breathes quickly but seems bright and alert.

Phoned the local vets however and their final verdict is no more antibiotics. In fact they basically advised me to wait and then have him PTS if he gets worse (which he will without treatment) :evil: :cry: According to them it's not worth treating him with Septrin over and over if its a chronical disease, they kept saying it'd be irresponsible considering the risks of him becoming resistant. I'm so upset right now, I knew they weren't good all along but I thought if I had another vet's advice to back me up they'd at least consider it. But no. They dont give a :censored: anymore & wont do anything to help us now. I'm scared to contact the other one further away in case she says the same thing...because then I really dont know what to do :cry:

Back