• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cost of Dentals

Georgi

Young Bun
:wave:

Just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of how much a dental for molar spurs would cost. I know it would depend on the practice and how long it takes etc but I'm just looking for a really rough guidline so I can make sure I have enough aside if Cello ever needs one (she currently has some small spurs). I did try and get an estimate at the vets but the person on reception just said there was no way they could give me an estimate without the vet examining her, could be £20 could be £50 which does not sound right! :lol:

Thanks! :)

As a very approximate estimate a basic Dental under GA could cost anything from £80 - £150 + VAT

But it really would depend on exactly what treatment was needed. If Xrays were also required the cost could go above £200

Mischa's today was around the £140 mark. This included the consultation and metacam for at home pain relief. I think last time it was slightly less as he needed less done.

Scarlet's are about £100 a go but that's to grind back her molars rather than remove spurs. It all depend on the time taken and the issue is, althought they can have a look they can't really see properly what's going on until the rabbit is under anaesthetic and they can properly open their mouth and look, so it can be very difficult to give an estimate.

Well that's not as bad as I was expecting :) Hopefully she won't need one, but at least I'll be prepared if she does, must get her eating lots of apple sticks etc!

Thanks for the help!

Years ago they were about £80 but Grim's have hit the £140 mark now. But that is with all the medication to take home. :)

I pay £65 fof a basic dental that includes fluids but I have the normal meds at home. Anything else is added on. Although they didn't add anything on when they had to save Dopey 2's life.

Santa's used to be about £90 each for a basic dental. At the practice I used to go to before my current one, it was about £40 but they only used to file off any spurs, whereas at the one I'm at now they take the time to burr the teeth down and reshape them to try and keep them in normal occlusion for as long as possible. So while cheap doesn't always mean bad and expensive doesn't always mean good, I would expect to pay nearer £100 than £50 for a thorough dental which takes longer to do.

Santa's used to be about £90 each for a basic dental. At the practice I used to go to before my current one, it was about £40 but they only used to file off any spurs, whereas at the one I'm at now they take the time to burr the teeth down and reshape them to try and keep them in normal occlusion for as long as possible. So while cheap doesn't always mean bad and expensive doesn't always mean good, I would expect to pay nearer £100 than £50 for a thorough dental which takes longer to do.

In relation to this, normal dentals at my vets practice cost £85-90 however I pay 'fixed price' dentals because I have to have so many done so get a large discount. This applies to any bunnies at the practice who have them regularly. I guess therefore, not representative for your average dental but relevant for repeated dentals. Ours do that Santa says about burring and also reshaping where necessary.

The last one I had done was £120 I think, including an xray and metacam. The couple before were less as it was just a basic dental, but I cant remember how much exactly, about £70 maybe?

Fixed price @ £60 for dental where the molars are burred to the gum where required and any additional spurs removed if necessary. No pain relief included, just the GA and dental, as i always have the pain relief at home anyway and she's given a shot of metacam before she comes home with no charge.

Hi Georgi

My buns GA dental normally was around £90

Dental
Fluids
Metacam
(free nail trim)

He just had a tooth extraction last tuesday and it came to £81

Tooth Extraction
100ml Fluids
Pain Relief
Cricital care pre op
Cleaned his bum and trimmed any tatties
2 x packs of critical care to bring home
1 x bottle of metaclopromide
1 x bottle of metacam

I still can't quite work it out why it was cheaper as he seemed to have more done, and they gave me all the meds to bring home.. but I was pleasantly supprised when I got the bill.

Back