• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny won't take medicine :-(

Shelbey94

New Kit
Took cola to the vet yesterday to see about her poopy bum, the vet thinks it may be arthritis that is causing her not to clean it. She's also no longer allowed any vegetables daily and now only gets them every 3 days, she does get grass and hay everyday though. So the vet gave us metacam drops for her arthritis an which we put drop wise in her dry food, however she won't eat it presumably cos she's aware the drops are there. Has any one had the same problem or any ideas as to how to get her to take the drops?

I put mine on a basil leaf, or in a craisin (probably not recommended for a bunny with a sensitive gut), or in some banana (but same as the craisin). Failing that I syringe them and then give them a treat after. One of my stressiest buns has had to get used to Metacam and he now looks forwards to his treat after and it isn't a big deal for him, unlike it has been in the past.

I'm not too sure the syringe would be possible as I only feed her 3 times a week and my sister does 4 and she's not that great with stuff like the syringes, I may try the basil thing though thanks! If I was to try the syringe how do I covert the amount from drops to ml?

Does your bunny like pineapple juice (freshly squeezed), you could mix it in with a bit of that. I too have used the basil leaf to put the drop in and then fold it ove, making sure it doen's run out.

I'm not too sure the syringe would be possible as I only feed her 3 times a week and my sister does 4 and she's not that great with stuff like the syringes, I may try the basil thing though thanks! If I was to try the syringe how do I covert the amount from drops to ml?

I personally squeeze the amount of drops onto a plate or something and then suck it up with the syringe. However that does leave a bit of residue of the Metaca on the plate so they don't get the exact full amount of drops.

I've had the same problem before with my bunnies, I put it on their dry pellets (which they love), initially they turned their noses up but when they realised no other pellets were coming they ate them in the end! After that they were fine :)

Good luck! x

I take the syringe plunger fully out and drop straight into the barrel. Then tip it up so it doesn't shoot out when you put the plunger in.

She's never had pineapple juice before but that may be something to try! I'll try the basil leaf tonight and if she won't eat that I'll just have to percivere with the dry food, thanks for your help guys :)

As she will need her Metacam to help reduce the pain I think you should try to syringe it in to her to make sure she gets it - particularly if she isn't eating the foods you put it on.

Give your vet a call and ask her to convert the drops to mls for you - my 2.4kg buny has to have 0.5ml daily, as a guide.

There's not many bunnys that enjoy daily meds, and the first week of attempts may make you not want to do it, but they soon get used to the routine and learn to take it.
Personally I have 3 bunnies on meds, some daily, some twice daily, and at the rescue there must be over 60 animals that Louise has to medicate every 1, 2 or 3 days.

As they get older its good practice for them to get used to being handled for meds too, as there is always the likelihood as they get older that medication becomes part of their lives

We have just had to give Pebble her medication and she wouldn't take it unless we put it on pellets 1 by1 and feed her them but now she has had the full amount she needed :D:D

Dylan has to have metacam daily for his arthritis and he is now used to the routine. I syringe feed him his meds before he gets his supper. He is fine with it.

Furby has to have baytril and metacam at the moment and he has got used to it as well, although it wasn't easy to start with.

As I have pairs or groups of buns I couldn't put meds on their food in case one of the others ate it. I need to know I have put the correct dose in the correct bunny or I'd worry.

I have always handled all my buns a lot - which I know there are mixed views on - but it does make it easier when they need to be medicated or syringe fed. I live alone so need to make things as easy for myself as possible.

Glad you got the meds in :)

I've got to give my bun Angel Lapizole at the minute, the first time she took it no problem with the syringe, but now after a couple of days she's getting wise to it, and just sits there letting it drip out.
Some of it's getting in but lots isn't.

I'm going to try giving her a wee treat of thyme afterwards ( which is her fav ) and see if that helps :)

Back