• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Signs of Recovery *lil update*

Martin7

Warren Scout
Hi All..

I know I already have a post similar to this, but thought It might be useful for others as well perhaps to start it new..

but my bun suddenly stopped eating/pooping/drinking tuesday night.. (just a tiny amount of veg), he was in vets first thing yesterday morning, and they extracted hs front tooth, and gave him fluids, critical care foods, and metaclopromide.. (he was also moulting heavily but that seemed to of stopped now)

He still wont touch his pellets, but has been eating spring greens, plantain, and small amounts of mashed carrots since he got home yesterday (there was still no poops though) as anyone who read my other post knows. I had (as many do) and ridiculously difficult time trying to syringe critical care, or any type of food formula into him

Then about an hour ago he did a few almost pellet shaped pellets, followed by a big pile of mush, then a few more almost pellets.. he was in his tray for ages. he finally finsihed in his tray and hopped out and had a little drink. first time I've seen him drink since last week, as I think he was getting water from the carrots..

Now he's sitting on the step doing that thing they do where it looks like he's chattering to himself and then checking his bum every minute or so..

I'm worried because I havnt been able to get any critical care in him, and hes only been eating veg and plantain. he's back at the vets tommorrow anyway for post op check up.. and he seems more alert so I'm guessing these are good signs? reason I'm asking is because I don't want to really stress him out again, and probably fail at syringing him now it seems his tum is moving again and he is eating veg and drinking... in case it sets it back again sort of thing..he's back at the vets first thing tommorrow anyway for post op check up..

Thanks

Martin

Last edited:
If he is eating something for himself then I would not stress him with syringe feeds, it will be counter-productive. His mouth may still feel sore so he will prefer softer food. Also, if he is sore he wont want a syringe put in his mouth as he may fear it'll hurt more.

You could leave a bowl of made up Critical Care down for him, he may decide to eat some for himself.

As long as there is a bit of food going in and a bit of poo coming out I think allowing him (and you!!) to de-stress tonight will be the best option.

Good luck at the Vet tomorrow

Hi Jacks Jane,

Thank You... mann its an emotional rollercoaster.. they somehow always manage to find a way to keep you teetering on the egde of anxiey.. and always guess "whats up" if only they could speak.. stress? I Don't think I've slept for days, and just can't seem to focus on anything else... I have about 6 different types of foods of various softness and even some normal pellets laid out, 2 different types of hay etc, the lounge looks crazy if anyone came round now.. and a huge bowl of water, but he seems to be dirnking now more than anything, whearas up until this afternoon, he would just eat greens.....

heh, he came out of the vets with a nice clean bum, but because of his mushy poops earlier, that didn't last very long:s

there seems to be soo many dilemas and catch 22's with buns...

Thank You..

I've only really managed to get about half the recommended dose of metacam in him but about 1am, he ate a tiny bit of hay (he hasn't eaten hay for months) I never thought he could because of his teeth, so that was a total supprise, then about 4am this morning, he suddenly ran over to his pellets and started eating and seemed to eat them fine, and had a munch on some high protein protexin pellets too, then a little bit of carrot.

He's drinking lots, and been pooping all night, they were really mushy at first, but they seem to be getting a better consistency and forming more with each batch, and I some are deformed cecatropes, but he's active, alert, and been chilling too in a relaxed way.

I was meant to take him back this morning, but it was only to see the nurse for a general health check, but now things seem to be moving and hes on the up, I was worried about putting him through the stress of vets etc, as he's only just started to return to normal, so I just phoned the vets and she was fine with that. Obviously if things deterioate I will take him in, but so far he seems to be doing good. it was such a relief to see him eating again.

:)

Thank You Wendle:)

You know they often say, pets are good for stress, but when theyre poorly.. oh my!... takes on a whole new meaning. I did feel a little bad for not taking him in this morning but as things have only just started to pick up and he seems to be doing fine, and it was just a general health check with the nurse. I figured he do much better at home as were on a roll and he's doing all the right things :)

:)

Yeah I agree a trip in the car to see the nurse could well have stressed him out again and knocked him a back and as he's only just getting going again ya don't want that at least if ya start to worry again you can always rush off to the vets sending loads a keep getting better vibes over X

Yeah, he gets really stressed with vets, and gets that wild look in his eyes, plus he might think theyre gonna do something to his teeth again etc, and start poking around in there (which they probably would)... I did manage to have a good peek in his mouth when he yawned lol, and it looks nice and clean in there and no sign of infection etc. soo.

ahh a relief for us both i think..

:love:

Thanks Bink:)

And oh yeahh.. I've had such little sleep and it's been such a stressful week (as I'm sure many who had/have poorly buns know all too well) so I can finally relax a bit, I'm going to a load some movies up, and dive on the couch and just watch a load of films with nugs!.. that's my friday night sorted! Hope you have a great one too (and Everyone else:)

Sounds like you're great at reading your bunny and knowing what do to and what not to do to stress him out. I say you're doing really well and I hope he continues to improve. :)

Thanks Jenova,

I Think we all do really, being able to access all the support, and wisdom of other bunny owners here and all the vibes makes a hugeeeeee difference to the experience and very often the outcome too. but also because he's an indoor bun and totally free range and I'm with him more or less 24/7 we kind of attune to them... he still has me guessing and stressing a lot of the time, but I'm learning to trust my intuition more too with him, sometimes (many times) my minds said oh it's definately this or that with a lot of things, and it's never been that and always been what I felt instead.. , basically my mind just creates constant worst case scenarios for everything, which doesn't' really help the situation in any way at the end of the day and affects my clarity.. Still learning though, so its not without its panic lol... but I think it's something we all do really anyway with the things we hold dear to us.

he just ate another load of pellets and is chilling now underneath the radiator and cleaning his front paws..

Back