• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Local anaesthetic for eyes - help please.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Grim's eyes again. They looking a lot less infected but still quite inflamed. I spoke to the vet about getting all the infection out before putting the eye ointment in and she said it just needs to be done, even if his eyes are sore. She also sent me some local anaesthetic drops i can use in his eyes when they're really sore to help him feel a little but more comfortable with me poking around in there with cotton wool. :(

They need to be kept in the fridge. As I live so far away from the vets I got my prescription posted to me which took three days over the weekend. At this time they were not in the fridge, unless royal mail keep their post in the fridge...

Now I'm wondering if they will still be as effective and I don't know if there's any way to test? I used them just now and when I put the ointment in Grim didn't flinch which he usually does so I think they're working... but I want to know for sure so I know he's not in pain when I give his eyes a really good clean.

They are: proxymetacaine hydrochoride.

Just looked it up in the BSAVA Small Animal Formulary and it said this:

Proxymetacaine (Proparacaine) (Proxymetacaine*) POM
Formulations: Ophthalmic: 0.5% solution (single-use vials).
Action: Local anaesthetic action is dependent on reversible blockage of the sodium channel, preventing propagation of an action potential along the nerve fibre. Sensory nerve fibres are blocked before motor nerve fibres, allowing a selective sensory blockade at low doses.
Use: Proxymetacaine is used on the ocular surface (cornea andconjunctival sac), the external auditory meatus and the nares. It acts rapidly (within 10 seconds) and provides anaesthesia for 25-55 minutes in the conjunctival sac depending on the species.
Serial application increases duration and depth of anaesthesia.
Topical anaesthetics block reflex tear production and should not be applied before a Schirmer tear test.
Safety and handling: Store in refrigerator and in the dark; reduced efficacy if stored at room temperature for >2 weeks.
Contraindications: Do not use for therapeutic purposes.
Adverse reactions: Conjunctival hyperaemia is common; local irritation manifested by chemosis may occasionally occur for several hours after administration (less likely than with tetracaine).
All topical anaesthetics are toxic to the corneal epithelium and delay healing of ulcers.
Drug interactions: No information available.
DOSES
Dogs: Ophthalmic: 1-2 drops/eye; maximal effect at 15-25 min,
duration 45-55 min. Aural/nasal: 5-10 drops/ear or nose every
5-10 min (maximum 3 doses if used intranasally).
Cats: Ophthalmic: 1-2 drops/eye; duration 25 min.
Small mammals: Ophthalmic: 1-2 drops/eye; duration 1 h in rabbits.

So looks like it should be fine as it was only 3 days :)

Ordinarily, I'd say that was a no no but the patient info leaflet for one brand has a disclaimer on it thats says:

•If necessary, the product may be stored at temperatures not exceeding 25°C for up to 1 month only, in which case a label bearing the relevant expiry date will be affixed to the carton label.

This is from here: http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/2784/PIL which is a brand that come in individual ampoule type things, if you have a different product the disclaimer moght not apply as the formulation could be different. You vet shouldn't have sent a medicine by post using inappropriate storage conditions in the first place, they should have sent it by courier with an ice pack.

Thank you both. I'm sure if it wasn't good to be posted they wouldn't have done it. And it seems it can be left out of the fridge for a month. :)
Just read it could cause loss of eyesight... then remembered Grim is almost blind anyway.

Back