• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

1.08ml metacam for tooth extraction?.

Martin7

Warren Scout
Hi Folks!

I just looked at the instructions on the bottle I got today, and it says to give my bun who had a front tooth extraction today, 1.08ml of metacam tommorrow afternoon, but that seems an awful lot?

M

it depends on the weight of the rabbit and the strength of the metacam- the dog one is 1.5mg/ml the cat one is a third of the strength (0.5mg/ml). It doesn't sound particularly high though- I have used a similar dose of metacam dog (the stronger one) in a 2.7kg rabbit xx

Hi Lilbun, and thanks..

He's approx 2.5-7kg so probably about the same size.. I'm only use to working with drops out of the retail bottle of dog metacam.. he used to have about 8-10 drops out of the bottle if his pain was strong, and I found that an effective dose.

but the one the vet gave me is in a brown medicine bottle, it doesn't say if its cat or dog one though.. just says 10ml oral. Maybe I phone them tommorrow to confirm.

but they gave me a thin syringe which goes up to 1,0ml/cc but 1.08 would be almost a whole syringe full plus another load up to 0,8?

Hi Lilbun, and thanks..

He's approx 2.5-7kg so probably about the same size.. I'm only use to working with drops out of the retail bottle of dog metacam.. he used to have about 8-10 drops out of the bottle if his pain was strong, and I found that an effective dose.

but the one the vet gave me is in a brown medicine bottle, it doesn't say if its cat or dog one though.. just says 10ml oral. Maybe I phone them tommorrow to confirm.

but they gave me a thin syringe which goes up to 1,0ml/cc but 1.08 would be almost a whole syringe full plus another load up to 0,8?

Nope that would be 1.8 not 1.08 so too much according to your vets dose- 1.08 should be a syringe full plus a bit less than a tenth of a syringe (1 or 2 little lines less depending on the types of syringe).

Nope that would be 1.8 not 1.08 so too much according to your vets dose- 1.08 should be a syringe full plus a bit less than a tenth of a syringe (1 or 2 little lines less depending on the types of syringe).

Yes, this is right! Don't give 1.8 :)

You should be giving just over a syringe full. Which sounds reasonable to me :wave: If you are worried it won't hurt to ring the vet tomorrow as you don't have to give it till the afternoon anyway.

Thanks

I think it's just because it fills the whole syringe it seems like a lot sort of thing, but then the syringe is very narrow..

yeah ,I just tried a little experiment, and counted how many drops etc, back into the bottle.. and 1ml was about 26 drops (ish) though sooo tired so maybe try again tommorrow as he doesnt have it until tommorrow after noon, but from the retail metacam bottle I used to give him 8-10 drops and I thought that was a really high dose which is where my misunderstanding came from..

Does sound on the high end of a bunny dose, but he will be in pain. My Inca gets 14 drops just now, but vet has said that she can get up to 24.

One thing to watch is that Metacam is sensitive to light and putting it in and out of the bottle may reduce the effectiveness of it.

Recently its been discussed that the amount of metacam a rabbit can handle is almost double its previous belief so 1.08ml/day isn't actually massive at all, even if it is dog metacam.

We can actively use 1.2ml/day in worst case scenarios of dog metacam and thats on the 'old' rules about rabbits and metacam so i wouldn't be too concerned.

That said, i'd certainly confirm with a vet if you are concerned at all.

Thanks! :) and that makes sense..

It's been a while since he's really needed any, so wasn't really upto date on new research etc, I remember being confused by it all a year and half ago when he had a bad stasis then and I had to give it to him. Luckilly it's one of the few things he will take readily.. though I have to say it smells awful!

and yeah, I noticed metacam seems to go weird rather quick if its left out...

Back