• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay on ebay,is this a good deal

Is 20kg the big round ones? The only thing I'd be possibly wary of is the shrink wrapping in case the hay sweats in it. I'd also be prepared in case it's not great quality but it looks to be a very good price if it's one of those big round ones! That's the price I pay for one of the square bales.

I don't think it's a bad price if you're collecting but will be expensive if you get it delivered. I think it will be a 3ft bale and I personally would ask how long it has been wrapped before buying and then if you buy it unwrap it as soon as it arrives. I store my hay in an old duvet, stops it spilling out and still lets are circulate.

That looks a really good deal, and best of all, it doesn't say that its a higher price to the Highlands, so I may buy some! :thumb:

Yep that looks good :) 20kg is a standard rectangle bale. Cheaper if you can find a place that does it locally though, as you wont have the postage charge.

I would definitely try and find a local supplier so you weren't paying postage. It is a good price per kg though, 70p say compared to H4P who are about twice that. But a local farm would be as low as 25p per kg for a 20kg bale costing £5.

Personally that is a rip off,

Just for the postage basically, bales in my area (kent) are abut £5-£6 and are easy enough to collect and that is feed stores, farmers do them much cheap from the field or last years stock.

Ah, if thats a square bale then yeah, with postage it's quite dear. I pay 5.95 (i think, it recently went up slightly) for one of those bales but that is local to me so I only have petrol money for a ten min journey to add on. Can you order (and store) more than one? If you can't find one local that might be the second best option.

Price is good compared to other delivered hay but you don't know what the quality will be like.

I think, if you struggle to find somewhere locally to buy hay in bales, then it's probably a good deal :thumb:

Perhaps buy a bale to assess the quality and go from there?

Back