• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

friends poorly bunny

hi i am hoping someone maybe able to give me some advice, a friend has told me that her rabbit that is about 12 weeks old has been eating for the last few days fine,but this morning she said he has been off his food and not drinking, he even turnt his nose up at a carrot and she said he has got really severe diarrhoea. She is very worried and not too sure what to do. please could someone give me some advice to pass onto her.
Many thanks

It's imperative she gets the bunny to a vet asap, proper diarrhoea is very serious, as is not eating. Hope he's ok.

Your friend needs to take her rabbit to the vet urgently. Can't stress enough the urgency of the situation with a rabbit with these symptoms. If her vet is not open, she should be able to ring the number and there should be a message giving the number of the emergency vet. I'm afraid that if she doesn't act very quickly the outlook is very poor.

Have just remembered that you've posted before.

Is this the same friend who very sadly didn't take her rabbit to the vet and he died?

Your friends with the poorly bunnys should join the site instead a keep sending you to ask :D but if my bunny was only 12 weeks old I would have been at the vets already , has she gone to the vets with the bunny to get medical help :D

Your friends with the poorly bunnys should join the site instead a keep sending you to ask :D but if my bunny was only 12 weeks old I would have been at the vets already , has she gone to the vets with the bunny to get medical help :D

no she hasn't yet, but i have told her what advice you have given. And the problem i have is that everyone knows i have a fair few rabbits so they always come to me. I told her to take him to vets but just wanted to get it confirmed

Then if you have bunnys too you should no how quickly bunnys go downhill if they don't eat so if you have told her to take the bunny to the vets she should be way gone now to the vets before its too late for that little bunny :cry:

Thankyou everyone for confirming my advice i gave the lady but she text me this morning saying due to having no one to look after her children she couldn't get to the vet and bunny died. Makes me so flipping mad

You're not alone there. Take the kids to the vet too if all else fails!!!

Thankyou everyone for confirming my advice i gave the lady but she text me this morning saying due to having no one to look after her children she couldn't get to the vet and bunny died. Makes me so flipping mad

Wish this didn't happen so often. Poor bunny. Thanks for letting us know.

I don't know how people live with themselves knowing that they did nothing to prevent the bunny suffering.

Back