• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbit had a fling with a wild rabbit and had a baby, no info on it anywhere

last year, my lionhead doe toffee escaped and got out in the feilds behind my house, she couldnt have been out of sight for more than half an hour. we got her back quite easily and put her back in the hutch with her guinea pig roommate, releived that the whole thing was over. low and behold, a month later we find two little babies in the hutch, one is dead but the other is very much alive. we were baffled over where they came from, initially unsure if the babies were the guinea pigs or rabbits, but closer inspection revealed they were defenatley rabbits. My mum suggested the guinea pig who we thought was a girl must be a boy after all and had mated with her. It took me so long to convince her that was defenatley not what had happened. Finnally, the penny dropped and we realised she must have had a cheeky fling with one of the wild rabbits behind our house in the few minutes she was out of sight when she escaped. we took toffee and her new baby who we named buttons inside the house and seperate from the guinea pig, and hoped for the best. I straight away turned to google to find out what to do in this situation, surely it had happened to someone before? but i found nothing, most sites told me it was impossible for cottontails and domestics to breed because of a different number of chromosones. Luckily, toffee was a great mum and with only one baby and a whole lotta a milk, buttons grew big and strong. He's now a year old and just as tame and good natured as any domestic rabbit, the only indication of his heratige being his appearance. He looks mostly like a wild rabbit, apart from a ginger tinge on his brown coat and ginger fluff behind his ears, like his mum. Has anyone heard of this before because the 'chromosone' information is quite obviously a load of ****, and people should be made aware that if their female bunny escapes in a rural area, this could happen :)

Another good reason why all rabbits should be neutered ;) It's essential in healthy females due to a very high instance of uterine cancer. :)

Wildies and half wildies can have 'difficult' temperaments but it doesn't sound like you are having that problem. :)

yeah they are both neutured now, but at the time we hadnt had her long and didnt see it as an imediete issue, as she was housed with a female guinea pig :)

Whereabouts in the world are you? I thought that within europe, because the pet rabbits are the same kind of rabbit as the wild rabbit they could and would breed.

Domestic rabbits are geneticlaly identical to the wild European rabbit that we have in the Uk. There are many wildie X rabbits around through situations very similar to this.

i'm in the UK :)

cottontails are american and a different species and cannot interbreed. The European wild rabbit on the otherhand is what domestic rabbits are descended from, so of course they can interbreed just fine.

It happens a lot, and as Elena says, is just one more good reason to neuter, as well as all the health and behavioural benefits.

What a naughty little bunny...did you warn her of the need for safe sex or getting pregnant? Looks like you should have had 'the talk' with her earlier hehe. Anyway hope the little bun is ok. I suppose it also means you won't be getting any rabbit maintenance from the father since you don't know who he is!

In the UK domestic and wild rabbits can breed. Do mum and baby live together now they're neutered? They are so much happier with their own kind. As are piggies. :wave:

yeah toffee and buttons have now been neutured and are housed together, the guinea has moved in with my sisters two guinea's and is the happiest i've seen her :) i agree that they are happier with their own kind, toffee used to hump the guinea pig when they where housed together, she was just such a horny rabbit lol

yeah toffee and buttons have now been neutured and are housed together, the guinea has moved in with my sisters two guinea's and is the happiest i've seen her :) i agree that they are happier with their own kind, toffee used to hump the guinea pig when they where housed together, she was just such a horny rabbit lol

awww its nice they all had a happy ending :) yes, rabbits are notorious for bullying guinea pigs (humping is usually a sign of dominance rather than trying to have sex).

Back