• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ernie has Suspected EC :-( - UPDATE. Blood test results back.

Hello
Ernie has been unwell for a week now and to cut a long story short - he had blood tests done today for suspected EC.:cry:

I have been advised to give Panacur to him and Eric and Honey as well for 28 days, starting today.

Until the blood test results are back, I won't know if it is EC.
COuld anyone tell me please, should I be bleaching everything in the shed? I am taking the legs off of the hutch in the shed tonight, so he can't jump up and down.
I don't know much about EC, so what can I expect if he/ they have it?
What quality of life to rabbits with it, have? Will he be able to live in the shed, as long as it is made comfortable for him. He lives with Eric and Honey.
Is it something that can be cured?
Will he be on Medication for the rest of his life?
So many things going through my head at the moment, but trying not to panic until the blood test results are back.

Last edited:
What are his symptoms as EC can manifest itself in a hundred different ways from kidneys to brain dysfunction. The blood test in itself is not the be all and end all as it only shows if bun has been exposed to EC and they estimate that at least 50% of the domestic bunny population has been exposed but that does not mean they have any symptoms. Bit like humans and chickenpox - chickenpox lies dormant in our nerves after infection but can ressurect itself in later life as shingles so test a human for chickenpox and if they ahd it as a child they will test positive but this does not mean they will get shingles - hope this explanation makes sense I know what I mean:)

Bunnies can live quite happily with effects of EC it all depends on how severe it is. Damage to brain that neurological improves with medication but cannot necesarily be cured.

There are loads of peope here who are really really clued up on Ec and I am sure they will be along to offer loads of advice.

I have read that you need to bleach living quarters twice during treatement for EC, I think it was at 21 days and then again at end of treatment at 28 days but again someone will be along with more info.

What symptoms does he have?

I have had a head tilt bunny with EC and a hind leg paralysis bunny with EC, both fought through the illness and recovered well, although Kermit was left with a head tilt. EC is a hard illness to go through, recovery can take weeks, but bunnies can get through it.

It doesn't matter what the EC results say, you are still best to treat for it anyways. Panacur & Metacam are the usual. I would also want antibiotics if bun had head tilt in case of an ear infection. x

Thank you for your repsonses.

He doesn't have head tilt but does stumble sometimes. On the other hand when he has been in the garden he runs around and jumps over the logs we have:?
The vet has taken blood and the results should be back today.
We have taken the shelves that they all like to climb on, out of the shed and as of yet the legs are still on the hutch (they will be sawn off this weekend) but we have made it easier for Ernie to get in and out.
I am aware now that I need to bleach clean during the panacur treatment. Does that mean the walls and ceiling of the shed? And what about carpet tiles? Can they still have them in the shed. I will replace them each time I bleach clean. It's just that Honey was an indoor rabbit for 9 months (on carpet) and she never has liked lino in the shed. SHe doesn't like to walk on it. SO I would like to keep carpet in there if possible.

So, at the moment, he is having all the below syringed:
1 gradient of Panacur a day ( Honey has 2 grads and Eric x 1)
Metacam Twice a day
Zantac - Twice a day
Fibreplex - Twice a day
Critical care - Twice a day.
He is also eating some hay and eating spring greens and has been eating Dandelions.
Today I pick up some Emaprid for him.
In the main he seems brighter, but not sure if that is because of all the meds etc.
His poos are still small, but today they are brown and dryer instead of black and wet:p

He was wobbly again this morning when I put him down on the floor after his meds and I am trying to get video footage so the vet can see. Every time we have had him on the floor at the vets he hops around normally!
If he does have it, then we can deal with it. I would never part with any of them because of it.
I just hope we have caught it in time, as the first vet I saw, said there was nothing to be gained by having a blood test or x-rays and that because he had started pooing, to just continue as I was:evil::evil::evil:
Anyway, we will see what today brings and cross each bridge as we get to it.
Thank to Jane for the links, I will have a good read now.

I can't help with your questions :oops: but am sending some more vibes for Ernie. xx

I have just seen our vet about Ernie's blood test results and they show no signs of EC.
This however does not expain why he has odd moments of falling and stumbling.
The vet is going to speak to the Pathologist about the blood tests and also John Chitty (an exotic pets Vet)
It may be possible that Ernie has a neurological or Spinal issue, but until my vet has spoken to the people above, we can not go ahead with any other treatment. I have to call him on SUnday to discuss his findings.

The vet also said that I need only treat Ernie(and Honey and Eric) with a 9 day course of Panacur. WOuld that be okay or should I go ahead with a 28 day course?

All the other meds Ernie is having are continuing for the moment until we know more.
Thank you all again for you advice so far.:D

Last edited:
Back