• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to find a friend for a special bun

Pegasys

Alpha Buck
I have a very lonely little Nethie here who is desperate for a friend. Jack is very special though, he is 8 years old and has numerous health problems so he needs an equally special bun friend. He lost his wife bun of 6 years almost two months ago, they were perfect together, she was the same age and size and had head tilt, they supported each other so much. I haven't been able to find another friend for him and he is not coping well alone :( He only weighs 900g, has arthritis, dental problems, a chronic URI, and recently had a massive bladder stone removed which required him to have a urethrostomy. He copes with everything so well though and takes his daily medication no problem, he knows when it is time and will take anything straight from a syringe if I just hold it out! Health wise he is doing well and is more active since having the stone removed but he sits staring at a wall or in corner a lot since being on his own :( I have been searching the rescues up here and have contacted them all I think, but they don't have any suitable buns. There is a little 5 year old bun on RR called Isa who I think I am in love with :love: but she is very far away.

I am just looking for some advise really, I have never had to consider adopting from rescues further away but I really need to find someone for Jack. What do people think about long distance rehoming? I am not sure if it would be a good idea to look at some of the English rescues that rehome nationally or if I should just wait a bit longer and see if any of the Scottish rescues get a small older bun in? Jack is very easy to bond, he is never grumpy or aggressive with other rabbits even if they are on his territory, so as long as the other bun had a gentle temperament it would probably work out fine. It is just the transporting that I would worry about.

A picture of my special boy :love:

DSC00774.jpg

Aww squeezes his gorgeous little cute face bless him he's beautiful , some rescues do long distance bunny runs to get that special bunny to a special home :love:

I think a thread like this is a good idea as you can weigh up all the options. It may be that there's a suitable bun for Jack in a rescue not too far away and you're not aware of her yet as not all rescues make it to RR (mainly down to the time it takes to list their details on there & rescues are all soooo busy).

If you feel that he'd be easy to bond then I think a long distance re-home is worth considering :love: A bunny run could be arranged with over night accommodation provided somewhere along the way so that the journey isn't too much all in one go :D Also, most rescues know the buns pretty well and so wouldn't send a bun they feel wouldn't cope with a long journey.

Ashley, bunnies seem to travel well, even my big Riley who is older and missing a leg (and is a large breed) managed a trip from Northern Ireland to be with me. Bunnies travel miles to get to sanctuaries, so i really dont think it is a massive thing, providing the bunny is not overly flighty :D.

I hope your search for the perfect bunny for darling Jack is successful.

Thanks everyone :D I wasn't sure if it would be fair to get a bun to travel for a longer period but I suppose if it is a bun that is not too stressed by travel then it wouldn't be so bad. I would need to be certain that the bun would definitely be suitable for Jack though as I couldn't bear the thought of them having to go back again or having to stay here on their own. I do have other elderly and special buns that I could possibly introduce another bun to, but they are too big for Jack and he just gets knocked around :(

I have spent this month searching for an older Nethie, but I am finding it very difficult :( I still haven't found a suitable bun locally and there are so many rescues further afield that I just don't know where to turn! I feel like maybe I am being too picky sometimes, but I need to know that the bun will be right for Jack. I can't put him through too much stress so the bun has to be gentle with other rabbits. I don't mind how they are towards people as long as they will be nice to Jack. He is just so sad and lonely just now :cry:

I have spent this month searching for an older Nethie, but I am finding it very difficult :( I still haven't found a suitable bun locally and there are so many rescues further afield that I just don't know where to turn! I feel like maybe I am being too picky sometimes, but I need to know that the bun will be right for Jack. I can't put him through too much stress so the bun has to be gentle with other rabbits. I don't mind how they are towards people as long as they will be nice to Jack. He is just so sad and lonely just now :cry:

We have two recent female Nethie additions to Honeybunnies and more waiting to come in :(

I saw the pics of Minnie in the photo section, she is lovely and looks so much like Baby. I also saw Magpie on Rabbit Rehome. Leicester just seems so far away, I am not sure how easy it would be to arrange such a long distance run? I don't drive but could maybe get a train some of the way. I haven't contacted Honeybunnies yet but I think I will.

I saw the pics of Minnie in the photo section, she is lovely and looks so much like Baby. I also saw Magpie on Rabbit Rehome. Leicester just seems so far away, I am not sure how easy it would be to arrange such a long distance run? I don't drive but could maybe get a train some of the way. I haven't contacted Honeybunnies yet but I think I will.

:thumb:

not sure if anything has been sorted yet but I am off down south end of this month and would be more than happy to bring the bunny back up with us. Just a option and yeah we are not taken any carriers with us down with us this time so NO KAY

Think I have found the perfect little bun for Jack, she is an older special needs Nethie :love: I have no idea what she looks like but she sounds like a perfect match for Jack :D The bun is in Warwickshire and I don't know how I am going to get her yet, so collielover I could maybe use your help if you are sure it would be ok! I still have to sort things out with the rescue and make sure they are happy for me to adopt her. They have already said she would be fine to travel so fingers crossed she can come and live with Jack.

Just found out she is a REW Nethie just like Jack :love:

Jack is doing ok thanks :D he had a dental a few weeks ago and sailed through as usual, he is such a fighter :love: It is obvious that he is still lonely though so I hope it works out with this little bun.

Back