• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw / Hay bulk buy

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Does anyone bulk buy their straw and hay, sawdust etc online? I want to buy it in bulk because they go through it like something possessed!! The cheapest shop - bought I can find is Wilkos but wonder if people bulk buy it from anywhere? I can't store a bale really so compressed is better.

I'm thinking of popping to our local woodyard because they apparently give away free sawdust. I know it won't be dust estracted - is that bad?

Any advice / ideas welcome thanks :wave:

Sawdust and wood shavings are bad in general because they are usually made from pine which reacts with urine to release phenols, these can irritate a rabbit's delicate respiratory system. I use just newspaper and hay in their litter trays and change them regularly.

I buy my hay in a bale and don't bother with straw. Straw is low in nutrients so is only really useful as bedding to keep them warm and you can use hay for this too.

Well I work in an office and we have lots of waste paper - is normal paper OK to use? We don't read newspapers you see... I'll ask my in-laws to save theirs for me though... I think they get a newspaper every day.

I just rang a local woodyard about free sawdust but he says he wouldn't recommend for bunnies - too dusty! At least the stuff I get from Wilkos is dust extracted.

I think I will put some paper at the bottom of their hutch because their poo takes FOREVER to scrub off the bottom of the hutch! :oops: the little buggars :lol:

I wouldnt touch shavings, dust extracted or not, with a barge pole, for the reasons Elena has said and because it has been linked to problems with organs like the liver as well.

It depends how much you mean when you say bulk buy. If youre just talking about 9kg at a time www.hayforpets.co.uk is great, theyre cheap but the hay quality is second to none. If you are thinking more, Dust Free Hay works out well, but only if you buy a large amount, or its pretty pricey.

The cheapest good hay would be your local farm or stables - get a bale of horse hay which will be 15-20kg for £5-10.

I agree with Elena just buy hay for them unless they are outside in the winter when it gets really cold (straw keeps them warmer than hay)
I buy a bale from a farm near me for £4 If you are limited on space then get a bale on a dry day then bag it all up in the garden so it doesnt make a mess. I usually get 10 bin bags out of a bale. If you are limited on space then if you have any friends with buns or gpigs then buy a bale between you and split it. If you think about it you can buy a bale for £4 which makes 10 bags or a tiny little bag from the pet shop for about £2 which lasts 5 mins!

You can get hay and straw from hay for pets, they do a variety of bag sizes and it's relatively cheap in larger quantities.
I don't use any substrate anymore, I found it a waste of money personally. I just give them a tray and put in any uneaten hay from the rack before I refill it.

I'd also avoid anything sawdust/woodshavings-y. If you want something like that you could try aubiose or other hemp beddings?

You can buy hay and straw from here in bulk http://www.naturesownpets.co.uk/shop.html
I feed the hay under the 'bedding' section - just means its nice and long so good for teethsies!
You have to buy 5 4kg bags in one go - you can mix and match hay and straw to your requirements.
I've been buying them singly from a shop near here but recently found you can order online, so am awaiting my first delivery!
ETA - I used to buy farm bale hay, but it can be not great quality and so fussy/fussier buns won't eat it (or in my case fussy sheep!) It depends on the time of year, but when they are running short before the first cut of the year is taken,it can be very thick and stalky, almost like straw.

Last edited:
If you work in an office could you not ask your co-workers to save their newspapers?

Well I work in an office and we have lots of waste paper - is normal paper OK to use? We don't read newspapers you see... I'll ask my in-laws to save theirs for me though... I think they get a newspaper every day.

I just rang a local woodyard about free sawdust but he says he wouldn't recommend for bunnies - too dusty! At least the stuff I get from Wilkos is dust extracted.

I think I will put some paper at the bottom of their hutch because their poo takes FOREVER to scrub off the bottom of the hutch! :oops: the little buggars :lol:

You can use normal paper provided they dont eat it, as the ink may not be safe. magazine/gloss paper is a no-go. Its not as abosorbant as newspaper though and also takes longer to whip the moisture away from the surface.

Many people on here lino the floor of their hutch to make it easier to clean. Can I ask though, why are their poos sticking to the hutch? As that doesnt sound normal and may indicate a problem. Are they not litter trained, or are their poos soft/sticky?

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Think I'll order from nature's own, with the mix and match thing. Quite handy!!

I'll use up my sawdust that's left and call it a day with that.

I've just spoke to my mother in law and they get a broadsheet every day that they'll save for me :)

I should be OK then shouldn't I. I will cover the hutch floor with it & put hay all around. I've bought some Beaphar cage fresh granules for their litter tray because I'm sick of the stinky wee wee (hoping that will be less pungent after the spays!) :oops:

You can use normal paper provided they dont eat it, as the ink may not be safe. magazine/gloss paper is a no-go. Its not as abosorbant as newspaper though and also takes longer to whip the moisture away from the surface.

Many people on here lino the floor of their hutch to make it easier to clean. Can I ask though, why are their poos sticking to the hutch? As that doesnt sound normal and may indicate a problem. Are they not litter trained, or are their poos soft/sticky?

Will the newspaper be bad if they eat that? They literally eat EVERYTHING in sight!

They are litter trained but Bramble doesn't really pay attention to the fact! She poos wherever she's standing really.... :lol: I think she just treads it in! They do sticky poos sometimes but they're like lots of little poos stuck together, I googled it and it looks like this
URL
- apparently that's normal? I hope so! It doesn't smell or anything. Sorry btw if anybody's eating their dinner :lol:

It is normal, but you shouldn't really see them. They're called caecotrophs and are normally eaten as soon as produced by the rabbit. Them not being eaten is usually down to a problem in their diet - what do they get to eat? Include everything!

Will the newspaper be bad if they eat that? They literally eat EVERYTHING in sight!

They are litter trained but Bramble doesn't really pay attention to the fact! She poos wherever she's standing really.... :lol: I think she just treads it in! They do sticky poos sometimes but they're like lots of little poos stuck together, I googled it and it looks like this
URL
- apparently that's normal? I hope so! It doesn't smell or anything. Sorry btw if anybody's eating their dinner :lol:

UK newspapers should be fine to nibble as they are not toxic, but eating a lot of paper or cardboard can both cause and be a symptom of a sluggish gut.

Poos should not really squish in the way they can get stuck to things, if they are good healthy poos they should just crumble or they may squash but will be dry. If that makes sense.

That is a caceotroph (that might not be the right spelling) and it is not normal to see them in healthy rabbits. Rabbits should eat them straight from the bum, so you wouldnt usually see them. A rabbit leaving them normally suggests that things are not quite right in their gut, perhaps a gut slowdown, or a diet that is too rich or sugary, or if they are bad it can indicate more serious problems. I'd take note of when they are getting these and make sure they are eating adequate amounts of hay and their poos are generally big, crumbly and golden, as well as looking at the brand of pellets you give and what amount, and what herbs/veg/fruit you are giving, to make sure they have the correct diet. If they have a correct diet they may be more sensitive than normal buns to certain things. If you get these often I'd put them on a hay only diet till it stops, then slowly add everything back in to see if you can pinpoint the problem. Stress can also cause excess caceotrophs, as can dental problems. I'd definately get their teeth checked with an otoscope if you havent done so recently.

All my bunnies hutches/wendyhouses have vinyl flooring. Normal, regular poops are easy peasy to sweep up if they miss the litter tray. If you're having trouble sweeping the poops up then that means that they are not normal and indicates a problem to me. If they are squashed or look like bunches of grapes, then their diet needs addressing as there shouldn't be any of those left over in the hutch.

I buy hay from a farm, and also from Hay For Pets. I buy straw from H4P in the winter, and put it in the 'bedroom' area for extra warmth

I'm really worried now :cry:

They have:

Wilkos meadow hay
Wilkos straw (obviously not to eat but they usually have a munch)
Dodson & Horrell rabbit pellets
Nature's Nibbles carrot sticks (from ASDA, they hook on the side of the cage) they have one once a week as a treat
Fruit crunch from Wilkos. They are like tiny fruit shaped crunchy things. I give them a very small handful once a week. I can't find them on the website to link :(
Recently they've had dandelion (whole flower, stalk and leaves) and grass when they've been on the garden.

Not introduced fruit or veg yet, I was told not to until they're 6 months old.

Their poo is normally small round hard balls, no smell. I have seen a few of the caecotrophs around. If they're in their carry case (going to the vets etc) they did one in that last week and didn't eat it. I've found one or 2 in the hutch as well, uneaten.

If its only a very small ammount I wouldn't be overly concerned.
How many pellets do they have? Too many can lead to excess caecotrophs. Most people on here feed one to two eggcup fulls a day - I feed two per bun per day. It can seem like a small ammount but for most rabbits (excluding ones with health problems, old age etc) pellets are just an added extra to make sure they get a full range of vitamins and minerals.
ETA I've just looked at the pellets you are feeding and they are high in protein. They are for fattening/lactating mothers etc and this may well be contributing to the problem. I would suggest switching pellets - slowly of course. I feel Excel for sensitive tums - its very high in fibre so good for them.

Last edited:
I'm really worried now :cry:

They have:

Wilkos meadow hay
Wilkos straw (obviously not to eat but they usually have a munch)
Dodson & Horrell rabbit pellets
Nature's Nibbles carrot sticks (from ASDA, they hook on the side of the cage) they have one once a week as a treat
Fruit crunch from Wilkos. They are like tiny fruit shaped crunchy things. I give them a very small handful once a week. I can't find them on the website to link :(
Recently they've had dandelion (whole flower, stalk and leaves) and grass when they've been on the garden.

Not introduced fruit or veg yet, I was told not to until they're 6 months old.

Their poo is normally small round hard balls, no smell. I have seen a few of the caecotrophs around. If they're in their carry case (going to the vets etc) they did one in that last week and didn't eat it. I've found one or 2 in the hutch as well, uneaten.

Dont panic, it looks like a diet issue to me, it doesnt mean anything is seriously wrong.

First of all, cut out those treats, I havent seen them but commercial treats are ususally loaded with sugar - the healthiest treats are natural ones, like herbs for instance. How many pellets are you giving, do you weigh them or measure them? Am I right in thinking dodson and horrell pellets are really high in protein and are breeder pellets? What fibre content do they have?

How old are your rabbits?

Sorry for all the questions , just trying to get a better picture of things.

If its only a very small ammount I wouldn't be overly concerned.
How many pellets do they have? Too many can lead to excess caecotrophs. Most people on here feed one to two eggcup fulls a day - I feed two per bun per day. It can seem like a small ammount but for most rabbits (excluding ones with health problems, old age etc) pellets are just an added extra to make sure they get a full range of vitamins and minerals.
ETA I've just looked at the pellets you are feeding and they are high in protein. They are for fattening/lactating mothers etc and this may well be contributing to the problem. I would suggest switching pellets - slowly of course. I feel Excel for sensitive tums - its very high in fibre so good for them.

Thank you. Feel a bit better now. My OH says I overfeed them. I don't really let their food go down much at all. The bowl is always full. I bet that's the problem isn't it. You don't think I've made them ill do you :( :cry:

Thank you. Feel a bit better now. My OH says I overfeed them. I don't really let their food go down much at all. The bowl is always full. I bet that's the problem isn't it. You don't think I've made them ill do you :( :cry:

It's all about learning :wave: I fed Poppy like that for at least 3 years until I joined this forum :( I blame myself for her teeth problems more than her genetics because although I gave her hay she never ate it, only pellets :(

Bring the food down, I feed Donny and Lola a small handful between them now :) make sure they have loads of hay and it will get better :)

Last edited:
Dont panic, it looks like a diet issue to me, it doesnt mean anything is seriously wrong.

First of all, cut out those treats, I havent seen them but commercial treats are ususally loaded with sugar - the healthiest treats are natural ones, like herbs for instance.

How many pellets are you giving, do you weigh them or measure them? - a full bowl a day (i've now realised how bad that is!)

Am I right in thinking dodson and horrell pellets are really high in protein and are breeder pellets? What fibre content do they have? the breeder told me to stay on them. yes i think they're for breeders really. This is 'em - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=dodson+and+horrell+rabbit+pellets&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=719&wrapid=tlif133596725204210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4175593460957520387&sa=X&ei=Fz6hT4O_I5TT4QSNiZyXCQ&ved=0CGAQ8wIwAA#

How old are your rabbits? - 5 months & 3 months

Sorry for all the questions , just trying to get a better picture of things. seriously i'm really grateful for your advice and time! I just want healthy bunnies

Hope this make sense!

Back