• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Angry - Rescue bun belle has 4 kits - they didnt make the night

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
Some of you may remember I took on a bun (rescued) from disgusting conditions - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Further-updated-photos-of-how-she-had-to-live.

Yesterday I told my fiancée I'm sure shes nesting and her nipples seemed large and hard, she'd got a very round tummy but still quite bony, he was like no we've had her too long,

Well this morning I've gone to feed them and there behind her is a little pink kit, check in the bed and there's another 3, all seem alive atm, not disturbed, (checked for dead ones)
I had to move 1 as it wasn't in the nest and was quite cold but still moving, (rubbed my hand in her urine before moving) we've left them all alone and will stay out the way.

The reason I am so angry is the condition Belle was in, and that stupid women put a buck in with her, right now im ready to get in the car and go knock on her door!!

Mums had kits before and adviced me to move the other one and put loads more hay in for her.

How can someone be so cruel and put her with a male, the buck was a REW that she also rehomed.

What should I look out for,
Ive never had kits before, never bred or had accidental litters, shes only 7months ish, poor loves been through so much!!

Last edited:
No wonder you are peeved!!

At least she is with you and will get the care she needs, rather than being in that hellhole of a hutch you got her from.

No advice on the babies as I just dunno, but good luck x

Thank you for the sticky thread,
Very useful,
Pretty much done everything it says on there, 3 look healthy happy and moving around the other that was cold and out the nest is moving more but doesnt look too good for it, but we shall see.

Oh no, poor girl :cry: At least she's had a month to recover and build up her strength. If she'd had the babies in her previous home... :cry: Hopefully she will be strong enough to get through this now. Sending lots of vibes for mum and babies xx

Shes back to her normal self, eating and drinking loads, so fingers crossed she will do ok, going to pop out and get some alfalfa hay this morning,

Hoping the little cold one will pull through too.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you, Belle and the kits - sending lots of vibes. Just read through your original thread about her - so much to go through at such a young age!!

It isnt what she needed, shes still got a long way to go before shes fully recovered, but shes made a lovely warm nest, with the little hair she has got.

Hi tere. Mum will look after babies - just give her extra food and veg if she is used to eating it. They love grass etc when they have babies.

Small mercies shes been with you a month to pick up some weight and strength to look after those babies.

Id be fit to bang on that womans door too...but it wont help the bunny and babies.**sigh**

Just love her and look after her.Noserubs from me too,poor little girl.

:shock: :censored:
Than goodness you got her when you did. She must have only been a few days pregnant then. Imagine if she'd been starved and in that filth while pregnant. :censored:

Belle has rejected one of the kits, twice we put it back in the nest and she keeps putting it back out, it was so cold, under vets advise we have taken kit away and warmed it up, have got some kitten formula and offered some, it had a small amount, used warm wet cotton wool and wiped over and kit had a poo, rolled over and slept, we went out and got a fleece blanket and some nesting wool, and it is in there.

Wiling the little one on so much, but know the chances are slim, it went from a motionless ice cube, to a warm wiggler nomming on the end of the syringe.

My hate for this women is growing by the second.

:evil::evil::evil:

What a nightmare, given my own explosion of kits following lies from the former owner of my foster bun, I fully understand your frustration. I hope that the wee orphan gets on ok and Mum takes good care of the rest. :evil::evil:

Belle has rejected one of the kits, twice we put it back in the nest and she keeps putting it back out, it was so cold, under vets advise we have taken kit away and warmed it up, have got some kitten formula and offered some, it had a small amount, used warm wet cotton wool and wiped over and kit had a poo, rolled over and slept, we went out and got a fleece blanket and some nesting wool, and it is in there.

Wiling the little one on so much, but know the chances are slim, it went from a motionless ice cube, to a warm wiggler nomming on the end of the syringe.

My hate for this women is growing by the second.

forget the formula ... hold mum on your knee and gently place baby near one of her nipples to suckle ... do this 4 times a day .keep baby seperate in its own little nest in between .
baby will have hardly a chance at all with formula from that age . best chance is mums milk ...

weve had lots of success like this with rejected basbies and even orphans with surrogate mums .

Someone as suggested now kit is warm to put it back in with mum and put a dab of vanilla on her nose, can anyone advise if this is the right thing to do?

I don't have any experience with rejected bunny kits, but with other rejected babies I have dealt with (usually lambs) there is usually a reason they have rejected them. Therefore it is unwise to put them back in with the mum - the mum will most likely either push it out the nest again, or even kill it.
I agree with trying to get baby to feed from mum, either directly or collecting milk and feeding it if she won't permit baby to feed. It's little ones best chance for survival.

Oh no, that poor girl :cry:

Yep I'd want to be knocking on that woman's door as well, I don't know the circumstances but there is no excuse, even ignorance doesn't work there is sooo much info on the internet.... :evil::evil::evil:

Good luck with the little one, thank god you got her out when you did :love:

Have you rad the sticky in health about litters? That might be useful.

Yes, you can put it back in, but roll it in mum's wee first to make it smell like her. However, if she has genuinely tipped it out then likely it has a fatal flaw that she knows and you don't yet know.

Back