• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not a good day today...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
If anyone followed my other post, you know my does recently had 4 new litters. Well we lost one whole litter (4 babies) since last night. On top of that, we lost one of our month old babies... He had been playing just 2 hours before I found him when I went to freshen their water. He wasn't even cold yet... I have no idea what happened to him. He was always so friendly and playful. He was the first of his brother/sisters to come up and sit on your feet or jump in my lap. I hope he's in a better place now at least...

Lost two more today... Including my pet Sabra. I have no idea what is going on. Nothing could get in the pens, but it looked like something chewed on Sabra. I feel like crying...

sorry have not caught up with other posts - could it be the mother being stressed at all - they will kill and nibble on the kits if stressed

sorry have not caught up with other posts - could it be the mother being stressed at all - they will kill and nibble on the kits if stressed

These were a month old already... I don't know if something could have gotten in but Sabra was the only one who was chewed on. I don't know if the straw could have had something on it or anything like that... I keep checking on them every hour, it's really worrying me and I won't get to check them after 3 today cause I have to work and I won't get back till after dark.

When you say he looked "chewed on" what do you mean? Could it be myxi?

I'm really sorry you've lost so many in such a short time! :(

When you say he looked "chewed on" what do you mean? Could it be myxi?

I'm really sorry you've lost so many in such a short time! :(

I don't know what that is. I haven't gotten to check on them in a little while since I wasn't home all day today, but Dad said they were doing well when he checked them.

Are the mums vaccinated at all?

No, none of them are vaccinated, we do organic so we don't want any chemicals or meds in the animals. But they're all healthy.

So sorry to hear of this.

Might be worth an idea going to the vet to make sure what killed sabra wont affect the others..

-hugs-

This really doesn't sound good to me. I think you should maybe pack in the breeding until you can establish what the problem is. This could be some disease spreading through all your rabbits.

Another thing to think about.....I know you breed for meat, which I really don't agree with, but if I did then I certainly would not want to eat a Rabbit with some form of disease.

I don't know what that is. I haven't gotten to check on them in a little while since I wasn't home all day today, but Dad said they were doing well when he checked them.

No, none of them are vaccinated, we do organic so we don't want any chemicals or meds in the animals. But they're all healthy.

You don't know what Myxi is?? If that's correct and i havnt misunderstood then I really think you ought to do more research before keeping/breeding any more...

Sorry to hear about the babies.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Binky free babies and Sabra.

From a few things that have been said and the times of posting, I'm guessing the OP is in the USA....... is that correct courtneydale? If so, I don't think the disease is as prevalent over there and this article suggests there isn't a vaccine. In which case, it's not surprising that they wouldn't have heard of the disease or vaccinated for it. :wave: In any case, please remember that this thread is in Rainbow Bridge, so please show a bit of tact when posting.

Myxi is myxomatosis and this explains a little more about the disease.

It's difficult to say what happened though; it could be something like myxi (although very rare) or is it possible that some kind of predator got in? If possible, I would suggest getting a post mortem done on at least one of the rabbits but I think it has to be carried out within a certain time after death so it may be too late.

Last edited:
I have seen pictures of OPs set ups and they are brilliant and very spacious, she is very caring towards all or her rabbits and she was distraught at these deaths. I'm sure she will be doing her best to find out what has happened to the bunnies :)

R.i.p babies xx

From a few things that have been said and the times of posting, I'm guessing the OP is in the USA....... is that correct courtneydale? If so, I don't think the disease is as prevalent over there and this article suggests there isn't a vaccine. In which case, it's not surprising that they wouldn't have heard of the disease or vaccinated for it. :wave: In any case, please remember that this thread is in Rainbow Bridge, so please show a bit of tact when posting.

Am I talking to myself on this thread? :wave:

Please don't jump to conclusions - nobody knows much about this member, where she comes from or how her rabbits are kept so don't assume the worst. She has just lost several rabbits, including her pet, so by all means show some sympathy or give some useful advice as to possible causes but now is not really the time to criticise or judge. I've removed some posts; the next person who decides they want to ignore the warning will earn themselves an infraction.

Last edited:
Thank you KarenM and Ally&Poppy<3. Yes, I am in the USA. I wasn't going to mention that until someone asked because of the backlash I got from mentioning they're meat rabbits, thought that would really set people against me. Like I posted in my other thread, I read several rabbit books before we got the does. No more of the older rabbits died, we're thinking it might have been something in the straw that was put in with them. We've lost a few of the newborns and I'm looking into weither something could have gotten in and preyed on them.

The babies that are still alive are nice and big, healthy looking and very active. Hopefully that's a good sign that the worst is over.

We've lost a few of the newborns and I'm looking into weither something could have gotten in and preyed on them.
I'm sorry you're having such an awful time.

Have you got a vet who understands rabbits? In your situation - multiple rabbits, litters and breeding - like Karen I would suggest / arrange a post-mortem to try and establish what is causing the deaths. It could be a disease, it could be something in the straw - perhaps get the straw analysed as well for contamination?

If you can't establish what is going on, you may face more losses over time and that would be heartbreaking. Hope things improve for you and your rabbits.

I found out what was killing the babies. We had a rat in the building and it was eating them. Actually it was one of my pet rats that had escaped from a hutch I was keepign them in outside. Needless to say, this rat won't live much longer. Next time dad goes outside he's going to take care of it.

Back