• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Rabbits Fitting?

AmyJoyce

New Kit
Hi There,

My rabbits have both been having the same issue which makes me think that it might be environmental rather than individual, I really need some help.

They are 10 weeks old and both showing the same problems. They literally fall on their side and cannot get back up, we had one on our sofa this evening and she started doing it, when I tried to pick her up she was literally a dead weight, totally heartbreaking. But like 2 mins later she was bouncing around again... so confused as to what this is. When they fall on their side and try to get back up they are really struggling to get back up, they both easily do this 3-5 times a day, originally lasting for around 30 seconds but one time I recorded today on video lasted nearly 3 minutes!!!

We took them to the vet a couple of weeks ago and they put them on a 28 day course of Panacur thinking that it might have been a parasite from untreated hay, only half a graduation doses. We originally thought this was working but they have both been doing this all day today. I have a video I can send someone if they need to see.

Please help!!! I'm worried sick!! Has anyone seen this before??

Thanks
Amy

I'm afraid I have no idea. Would you be able to post the video online somewhere like photobucket or youtube, it might help someone who may be more knowledgeable with medical issues than myself.

My Darcy, 8 year old frenchie, suffers from fits too which are suspected caused by EC. He was treated for EC with panacur but the fits continued and got worse. Even once the EC is treated the after affects of it can cause other conditions unfortunately.

All buns with fits please get your vet to give or prescribe rectal valium. You get a box of 5. You need at least five to start with. As soon as your bun has a fit, give them the valium during the fit. This will calm him/her down and stop the fit and also stop more coming later hopefully. If fits are left untreated and happen frequently they can cause brain damage and coma.

I keep a calendar diary with a record of all Darcy's fits, the time, how long it lasts, whether a single, double or triple fit (one that stops then starts). I used this to show the vet to get the right meds and dosage sorted asap. Darcy is now on Epiphen solution liquid (anti-eplipsey/fit med). He has been on it for over 3 months now. He was having several fits a week which were long horrible triple fits that some lasted for 5 mins. Now we have the dose right 0.3ml twice a day (its a very strong drug) and he has not had a fit in nearly two months. Fingers and paws crossed I don't jinx it by saying that!

Darcy is also on a high daily dose of metcam for his Spondylosis in his back and arthritis in his hips. The metacam also helps his fits by reducing any swelling in the brain.

If you need any help/info just pm me. xxxxx

Had feeling I had posted reply but cannot find it:

fitting/seizures often EC related in young buns:

Are they on Metacam/meloxivet for anti inflammation of neural pathways etc as well as the Panacur? This is vital to dampen down effect whilst wait for Panacut to kick in.

Have they got the typical white eye that is frequently associated with EC/Fits in buns that got EC in vitro (which is how they will have got it at this age - forget the hay).

My Darcy, 8 year old frenchie, suffers from fits too which are suspected caused by EC. He was treated for EC with panacur but the fits continued and got worse. Even once the EC is treated the after affects of it can cause other conditions unfortunately.

All buns with fits please get your vet to give or prescribe rectal valium. You get a box of 5. You need at least five to start with. As soon as your bun has a fit, give them the valium during the fit. This will calm him/her down and stop the fit and also stop more coming later hopefully. If fits are left untreated and happen frequently they can cause brain damage and coma.

I keep a calendar diary with a record of all Darcy's fits, the time, how long it lasts, whether a single, double or triple fit (one that stops then starts). I used this to show the vet to get the right meds and dosage sorted asap. Darcy is now on Epiphen solution liquid (anti-eplipsey/fit med). He has been on it for over 3 months now. He was having several fits a week which were long horrible triple fits that some lasted for 5 mins. Now we have the dose right 0.3ml twice a day (its a very strong drug) and he has not had a fit in nearly two months. Fingers and paws crossed I don't jinx it by saying that!

Darcy is also on a high daily dose of metcam for his Spondylosis in his back and arthritis in his hips. The metacam also helps his fits by reducing any swelling in the brain.

If you need any help/info just pm me. xxxxx

I would really not recommend trying recatl valium with 10 week old buns - the buns rectal passage will be very small and very easily torn. Even with an adult bun this is hard to do especially during fits or even in between. We used to inject instead.

I would really not recommend trying recatl valium with 10 week old buns - the buns rectal passage will be very small and very easily torn. Even with an adult bun this is hard to do especially during fits or even in between. We used to inject instead.

Oh of course I didn't think of their age. Sorry. Xxxx

Hi Everyone,

I have finally managed to upload the video from the other day.

http://youtu.be/dj19LVy5IDo

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Amy

They are Blue eyed whites aren't they ?

Are they siblings ?

I think they may have a congenital idiopatheic epilepsy, BEW Rabbits are known to have a predisposition toward epilepsy.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

I would also want to consider the possibility of Encephalitozoon Cuniculli (EC)

Have you shown the Vet the video ?

They are Blue eyed whites aren't they ?

Are they siblings ?

I think they may have a congenital idiopatheic epilepsy, BEW Rabbits are known to have a predisposition toward epilepsy.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

I would also want to consider the possibility of Encephalitozoon Cuniculli (EC)

Have you shown the Vet the video ?

Hi, thank you for replying.
We haven't seen the vet since I recorded that video but making an appointment tomorrow.
Our normal vet is leaning more towards epilepsy but hasn't ruled out EC so we're taking them for some blood tests.

They are both white with red eyes and are siblings, 11 weeks old.

Thanks

That's so sad, poor bunny. I'd be very worried about them falling down the ramp (and injuring herself, maybe even breaking her neck or somethng), so would probably block the ramp hole unless I was there directly supervising.

I hope you can figure it out. I have a BEW who has had one seizure, and for some reason, seizures scare me more than most things, so you have my sympathy. I hope you can sort it out.

I really hope your vet can do something for your poor buns. Up close to the bun when its happening is even worse. They're totally contorted and whimper. :cry: I am so grateful that the Ephiphen solution is now working for my adult bun Darcy. He hasn't had a fit in ages now its controlled with meds. xxxxx

Back