• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So... tell me about wildies/wild crosses

MotherPanda

Warren Scout
I love wild cross bunnies - I see them pop up in local rescues now and again,

Can anyone tell me if a wild cross bun's needs differ to a fully domestic one? Do they really have different behaviour or does this just depend on how much handling/human contact they have had?

Just having a fun day bunny shopping online - should really get on with finishing the shed... but in this weather I just don't feel like it!

We've had a lot of wildie crosses pass through our rescue, and have two back at the moment.

They are amazing creatures. They are both wild and domestic, but neither wild nor domestic. They can struggle in captivity but wouldn't cope being free. they are generally very look but don't touch bunnies, but they can be fascinating to watch.

They can be amazing escape artists so need a fort knox type set up. They need space and hidey holes and also space to run. They are very fast as well. They also need high levels of stimulation (especially things to chew, natural things like branches and stuff like that).

To be honest, I find them beautiful. They can be the most amazing pets to have, but it takes a special home to take them in and help them thrive and be happy.

Your post gave me tingly shivers! I so want one (well.. no I want a warren full actually) but I feel like I would need a field to let them dig tunnels and run at full speed - which is odd, because I wouldn't think that say, a mini lop, would need that to be happy - makes me rethink my view on suitable rabbit housing!

Would you say that only a free range garden set up would be suitable for a wildie then? Do you find they are quite popular to rehome, or are people more interested in the flopsy-er kind of buns?

Also, I wondered if wild rabbits have a shorter life expectancy or are more prone to certain illnesses (imagining that there's a fox/car free/ poison free world with unlimited food and no disease etc...)

Thanks for talking!

I have semi wilidies - one Albino, one agouti and one white and agouti. Two live with their Mum (a dutch) and the REW has been rebonded with a 'flopsier' bun as she was being picked on. anyway, I have a 20ft by 15ft run for them, buried 2ft into the ground and a tunnel leading to their hutch in a stable. They are great to watch but very lively, very 'look but don't touch' buns and no matter how long you have had them, I don't think they will ever be 'nose rub' buns. However, they come running for their bowl of veg and fresh grass etc, they are fascinating to watch and I never expected buns to be cuddle buns, was happy with ones that I just feed that can live happily together in each other's company. The vet always says they are the healthiest buns ever (I have 11 total) and touch wood no problems which I am convinced is their wildie genes. The REW is more domesticated but still v skittish. She has calmed down a lot since she was removed from the bullying situation. I think of all of the babies, she has the most of the dutch mum....

wow batmobile - yours sounds like a fantastic set up! A stable! I wouldn't be able to offer that much space, so think I should probably carry on looking but not touching from afar... I am looking for 'garden buns' though, I like a cuddle like any bunny parent, but am just as happy to sit and watch - so that aspect wouldn't upset me.

That's fantastic to hear they are so healthy, they must be very happy :)

I had a wild rabbit cross a few years ago called Angel. She was brilliant, but pretty much the temperament of a wild rabbit, I could never handle hear easily, she never bonded with me at all... though she bonded with one of my other (domestic) rabbits.

Angel.jpg

24277732dadce37167361670a3823df0c2a92ee2e54172fec9ef557e.jpg

I had a wild rabbit cross a few years ago called Angel. She was brilliant, but pretty much the temperament of a wild rabbit, I could never handle hear easily, she never bonded with me at all... though she bonded with one of my other (domestic) rabbits.

Angel.jpg

24277732dadce37167361670a3823df0c2a92ee2e54172fec9ef557e.jpg

This is pretty much what mine are like - they are lovely, they know where their food is coming from but they never bonded with me...

I don't think you need a set up like mine. Plus the stable has other bunsters in too. The run was built for a lop by a farmer. I would say if you can offer an enclosed aviary, with loads of levels (even different sized boxes etc), logs and tunnels then you would be ok. Or obviously an enclosed garden. BUT they are escape artists and an enclosed large run would be better than a garden in some ways. I don't think you should dismiss it outright as wildies/ semis are often desperate for homes especially if you can offer them an above average space.

I know that one should never haggle on space, but what I am setting up in the garden is a 6x4 shed (which i'm meant to be making a second layer for, when the rain stops), and then an enclosed patio aviary 14x6ft... so that's at least 108sq ft I have to offer - does it count as more if i have a second level in the shed :D

I really want to be able to have happy rabbits though, would hate to have depressed rabbits - so would accept if I'm just not a suitable home for the wild ones.

I'm offering patio space - with a sandpit full of mud/turf, which I know a 'normal' bun would be very happy with (keeps their claws down too!), but not sure if rescues prefer to have bunnies on grass?

Thanks

that would be pleny of space for any bun - even wild ones. And yes the extra level counts as more space and they don't specify grass as a preference. In fact, it is better on concrete as they can#'t dig out. It happened to me - mine dug out sneaky little so and sos (it took the days) but luckily they went straight back into their run for dinner!! So a digging box but on concrete will be just fine.

I know that one should never haggle on space, but what I am setting up in the garden is a 6x4 shed (which i'm meant to be making a second layer for, when the rain stops), and then an enclosed patio aviary 14x6ft... so that's at least 108sq ft I have to offer - does it count as more if i have a second level in the shed :D

I really want to be able to have happy rabbits though, would hate to have depressed rabbits - so would accept if I'm just not a suitable home for the wild ones.

I'm offering patio space - with a sandpit full of mud/turf, which I know a 'normal' bun would be very happy with (keeps their claws down too!), but not sure if rescues prefer to have bunnies on grass?

Thanks

If you came to us with that, space wise, that would be amazing for them!

We find them REALLY difficult to rehome. I'm now wondering whereabouts you are :lol:

I had two wildie crosses as foster buns and they were hard work. This was the run I had them in during the day to try to help keep them amused then they were in a large hutch at night which they chewed all night long!

SDC12101.JPG

It was 7'x7' with shelves, things to chew and places to hide. Their chewing ability equals that of a beaver!

SkyStick.JPG

Thankfully they have gone on to a home which is perfect for them. They have since chewed six inches out of every wooden upright In their run!

I loved them and they were incredible to watch but I wouldn't want the responsibility of looking after them permanently.;);)

My heart just skipped with glee :) I was starting to panic that it wasn't big enough after all - I'm obsessed with space now - and keep tutting at hutches in pet shops.

I'm in Oxfordshire, my beloved rex Hazel-Rah died last year so I've taken a break from rabbits for a while but decided that now's the time to get them back - so I've been saving up, selling stuff on ebay to build up my rabbit funds and am building what I hope to be an adventure palace.

The plan is to make sure that the rabbits will be very happy amongst each other, even if I'm too busy to play in the day, as I work full time and have a 9 month old daughter (Hazel died the day I went into labour :( I was cleaning out her hutch in between contractions :lol:

Aw. It sounds like you'll offer a lovely home, but i'm really sorry to hear about Hazel-Rah.

You're quite a way for us, however, if you are interested in adopting our girls, we are willing to do things a bit different because they are so special, so we might be able to work something out if you wanted to. Feel free to drop me a PM if you are interested.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Ipswich.-Wildie-Cross-Girls-second-time-here

Also, if you wanted a 'colony' I know there are also another two wildie X girls at another rescue in Ipswich and maybe there might be potential for a collaboration and bonding into a quad :thumb:

Oh aliduncan what a beautiful picture! Were those full wild buns then?

Lots of things to chew on... check..

Better reinforce my shed then!

I should really get myself to bed - I keep dreaming about rabbits :)

A quad! *faints* - I'd love to, but I'm not sure I would be able to cope if all four became ill. I'm trying to be very sensible, and think that I might not be so well off in a few years etc... But then If I saw four gorgeous rabbits My heart might just take over...

:D:D:D

Sounds like you would offer a fantastic home to wildies and I really hope some are fortunate enough to find themselves with you.

These two were crosses, because of the review situation we never got to the bottom of their story though.

Last one, I promise! It's been lovely thinking about them again! I used to put their food in awkward places to try and occupy them. Bit like stroppy toddlers really, as long as they are busy and well feed they are generally happy. When boredom sets in, watch out!
Rosiegrass.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you so much for pointing them out to me Sky-O, but the deal with my husband is that I finish the shed and aviary before finding anyone to live in it - but will certainly remember them when It's finished :)

Will bookmark them... all the same...

Nighty night folks :wave:

I also have a half wildie and.completely agree.with everything that has been said.

Although mine doesn't like to be picked up at all (huge exclamation mark). He has bonded.with me, thogh. He will groom me when he feels like it. Generally follows me everywhere and will flop next to.me.on my bed.

His mother belonged to.a.friend of mine.She escaped and mated.with.a wild rabbit.
He was born in captivity and handled everyday.
His rabbit "social skills".are.amazing, he has a very strong bond with my other rabbits. He will groom them for hours. His wild instincts are.very strong. For example, he is very tidy and will only.poo in his litter box twice.a.day (morning and evening).
He is super intelligent and loves watching humans and has got no fear. I once had to leave him at the vets for the day and they covered his box with.a.towel to give him peace and quiet, but he sat on the side of the box not covered by the towel watching my vet, her dog and her receptionists....human television :D

From what I have heard he is pretty unusual. My vet has.got other half.wildies which come to her surgery, but she says he is by far the easiest to handle.
Also, he has me very well trained and will show me if he wants a door to be opened and I will gladly obey.

Thank you so much for pointing them out to me Sky-O, but the deal with my husband is that I finish the shed and aviary before finding anyone to live in it - but will certainly remember them when It's finished :)

Will bookmark them... all the same...

Nighty night folks :wave:

It's sensible to be cautious. I only mentioned four on the off chance. I'm sure that once its all finished there will still be some waiting. If, whilst you're making it, you want/need any specific wildie cross advice then feel free to drop me a PM or e-mail me (the address is on my website which is linked in my sig).

Back