• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden Death

Very bereft this morning as our Dutch lop-eared rabbit unexpectedly died last night.

Bunny had spent the day in the garden as usual (it was a beautiful day so she'd been sunning herself), and when I went to put her in at around 7pm, she felt all loose and floppy. When I put her in her run it seemed like she couldn't get her legs under her, and she crawled towards the corner. I picked her up and she gave a little squeak and died there and then.

We're not sure what age she was - we've had her for three years, and we think she was at least three years old when we got, although she may have been older. Could this just have been old age?

Sorry to hear about your bun :(

Was she fully vaccinated against VHD? Could she have nibbled any poisonous plants while out and about?

Sorry to hear about your bun :(

Was she fully vaccinated against VHD? Could she have nibbled any poisonous plants while out and about?

Thanks.

She was fully up-to-date with vaccines, and we don't have any poisonous plants in or near our garden (or at least, nothing that she wouldn't have eaten before now!).

Thanks a lot, folks. Probably just old age taken her away - I hear Dutch lops (unneutered) only live for 7 years or so. She was a great bunny and is much missed.

Although I dont wish to upset you I would never call a rabbit of 6 years of age very old - and thus very unlikely to have been just 'old age'.

Dutch buns (and all medium sized buns) will live to 10+ years with good health. A 6 year old is really like us being 60 -past youth or middle age but not old enough to die of just being old

The fact that she was unneuetred would have made a very prone to cancer (all female buns should be neutered to protect against this - and the prevelance of womb cancer is what cases the 'artficial' low age range given that you quoted) but this would not cause such a very sudden onset or those symptoms you describe.

It is impossible to say what may have caused it without seeing your bun but I might suggest the following as possibles (amngst many others not listed):

The unusually lush grass we are having at present is causing a problem for a lot of buns even those who eat /free range on grass daily. it is simply TOO wet and lush and is causing stomach issues - leading to stomach bloating/gas etc

Likewise it is changing the balance on nutrients etc which may cause issues

Or it might have been something poisonous which growth has been triggered by the wet (the symptoms suggest something ike that)

Or something affecting the nervous system (E.C flare up, poison, stroke etc etc)

One cannot diagnose post mortem without a post mortem - but I just wanted to say that 3 is not old, and indicate the need to neuter - just in case you were going to get another bun.

Last edited:
I think you misread the OP's post.

She states that the bun was with her 3 years and was at least 3 years old when she got her.

I am sorry for your loss xxx

Although I dont wish to upset you I would never call a rabbit of 3 years of age, old - and thus very unlikely to have been old age.

I think you may have mis-read the first bit. Their bunny was at least 6 years old but exact age was unknown. They've had her for 3 years and she was at least 3 years old when they got her.

Very sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your sudden loss :( what a shock for you. At least she had a lovely life with you and happy 'til the end.

sorry - edited now. (blame pain killers for slipped disc for poor attention span!)

Though 6 still not old really.

Although I dont wish to upset you I would never call a rabbit of 6 years of age very old - and thus very unlikely to have been just 'old age'.

Dutch buns (and all medium sized buns) will live to 10+ years with good health. A 6 year old is really like us being 60 -past youth or middle age but not old enough to die of just being old

The fact that she was unneuetred would have made a very prone to cancer (all female buns should be neutered to protect against this - and the prevelance of womb cancer is what cases the 'artficial' low age range given that you quoted) but this would not cause such a very sudden onset or those symptoms you describe.

It is impossible to say what may have caused it without seeing your bun but I might suggest the following as possibles (amngst many others not listed):

The unusually lush grass we are having at present is causing a problem for a lot of buns even those who eat /free range on grass daily. it is simply TOO wet and lush and is causing stomach issues - leading to stomach bloating/gas etc

Likewise it is changing the balance on nutrients etc which may cause issues

Or it might have been something poisonous which growth has been triggered by the wet (the symptoms suggest something ike that)

Or something affecting the nervous system (E.C flare up, poison, stroke etc etc)

One cannot diagnose post mortem without a post mortem - but I just wanted to say that 3 is not old, and indicate the need to neuter - just in case you were going to get another bun.

Thanks very much for your reply.

I honestly don't think it's anything she would have eaten - although it has been very wet beside us, we have also been periodically blasted with snow and wind (at the end of April - seriously) so nothing much has actually had a chance to grow. There's also nothing else in the garden she wouldn't have eaten already at some stage.

We've just put it down to a heart or stroke issue, in the absense of evidence for anything else.

Back