• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SORTED: need space for 40 rabbits and 40 guineas living in squalor

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
One of our Inspectors just contacted me. He has been alerted to a lady who has 40 rabbits and 40 guineas who are at her house and living in squalor. They obviously need to come out ASAP.

We are absolutely full to bursting, as are many other places but we are going to try and distribute as many as we can to other Branches/Centres.

Are there any people out there who are able/willing to help by taking in any? (By that I mean rescues, or people with rescue back up, we wouldn't advise individuals take on these rabbits because they are an unknown).

Apparently this lady started rescuing only a year ago and has now found herself well in over her head and unable to cope.

When the Inspector contacts me we know it's really serious.

Please, can anyone help?

Last edited:
where are they? Can transport be arranged?
Do you know health of animals?
Are any likely to be pregnant?

sorry for questions but if more info offers may be more likely:D

We "may" be able to help with guinea pigs after weekend

Questions are good.

I'm awaiting a detailed list of info on all the animals of things like sex, bonded, health, colour, age.

I have asked that she also let me know if any could be pregnant.

It sounds like she has three very yougn litters of rabbits (male not living with female, so these should not be pregnant again). Guinea pig wise she has them separated into males and females apparently, however, she has an 8 week old boar living with his three sisters and mum, so we can presume all those females are pregnant as well.

I can help with transport- just wondering if I may even be able to borrow the RSPCA van, but I wouldn't be able to drive all the way to Leicester. I'd be able to do a good first leg of the journey though.

Oh no, not another one :cry: Sorry I can't help, I'm full. I hope places can be found for all the bunnies and piggies xx

If we're not too far away we have an empty 5ft hutch that could house a couple of Guinea pigs. Sadly I've just sold most of my spare hutches/cages, otherwise I would have given them to anyone able to take in animals :(

I've contacted the rescues around that I know potentially might be able to help- PACT, Woodgreen and Cambridge Blue Cross as opposed to others who are localish to us that I have neard of.

Lillian, that's a very generous offer, thank you. I personally would prefer individuals taking any on to ahve rescue back. Do you have, or could you get, rescue back up?

Ps if marie at wood green or alan at blue cross proviided me
Back up in form of vets fees coould prob take a small bun for foster poss a couple pf the ypung ones. But only with back up as foster. We are full of permanent

Last edited:
Oh I have a dog crate that anyone localish could borrow if they need it :wave:

I don't know if any rescues around Surrey would provide back up?

Ok, 6 rabs (3 bonded pairs) and 13 guineas (including all the potentially pregnant piggies) will come to our rescue.

Leaving 34 rabs and 27 piggies.

Twigs, that would be marvellous either to lend out crates and/or to foster one. I wouldn't recommend anyone actually adopts any of these because we have no idea what the situation is, so I would never ask you to, don't worry. Would you be able to gently prod one of those people (I think you know them?) and maybe offer yoru services and also give them a gentle prod towards helping us/these animals? ;) Thanks :)

Lillian, that would be great if someone needs a crate, thanks. I'm wondering if you could maybe contacted the rescues around and see if any would take you on as a fosterer and also, generally if that rescue would be willing to help any more of the animals? Thanks :)

Ok, 6 rabs (3 bonded pairs) and 13 guineas (including all the potentially pregnant piggies) will come to our rescue.

Leaving 34 rabs and 27 piggies.

Twigs, that would be marvellous either to lend out crates and/or to foster one. I wouldn't recommend anyone actually adopts any of these because we have no idea what the situation is, so I would never ask you to, don't worry. Would you be able to gently prod one of those people (I think you know them?) and maybe offer yoru services and also give them a gentle prod towards helping us/these animals? ;) Thanks :)

Lillian, that would be great if someone needs a crate, thanks. I'm wondering if you could maybe contacted the rescues around and see if any would take you on as a fosterer and also, generally if that rescue would be willing to help any more of the animals? Thanks :)

I think that you or the RSPCA should be the ones to officially approach - as I really dont know the situation etc at the place they are coming from.

Would you like me to supply you (via PM) with the direct e-mail of the local Blue Cross manager and Marie at Wood Green: (their work e-mails obviously).

I could then e-mail separately if you wanted to confirm I could offer a temporary place if they will take on vets fees and advertise the animals.

Have you tried Caroline at the Rabbit Residence?

I have tried to contact them already. I've sent e-mails to a variety of people so far (as previously mentioned). No one has got back to me yet. If I don't hear from them in a couple of days then I will call all the people I have e-mailed. I haven't tried Caroline, but I will. Thank you.

We have 14 of the piggies now at our RSPCA and 6 rabs.

The guineas are the pregnant and young ones. One group of six boys and two groups of four girls. One girl clearly has something manky going on- looks a bit like mange. All look healthy ish.

The rabs are super cute. 6 pairs- two sisters, 2 brothers and mum and daughter. Looks to be a lot of lop and lionhead crossing going on- lots of lovely wayward ears and funny tufty manes. All are a healthy weight but the mum is hugely obese. One of the sisters has a nasty scab on her back, but whether this is from fighting, mounting or mites remains to be seen.

All of the animals are bright and alert.

The Inpectors were shocked with the conditions, so they must be bad. Apparently they are in inches deep on faeces with a layer of straw on top. All fed muesli (likely unlimited). The amount of flies and the stench was also shocking. If it's shocking to an Inspector, then it must be shocking.

Need to do anything we can ASAP.

I can foster if our branch can take some or if your branch can back me for vet bills. Have you spoken to us yet? If you do let them know I have a 6 x 3 hutch so can take a bonded group I guess. :(

Not sure if you/your inspector have contacted our area yet (Guildford), but my current foster is due to go to his new home next week - I am bonding right now - so I will have a spare set-up and could take a single/a pair of rabbits.

The local inspector brings my fosters directly to me, and I have made him aware that the hutch will be free, so if he/the branch is contacted they may be able to offer that space to you.

Thanks guys.

Jenova, as I understand it she has been told to write down details of each animal and e-mail it to the regional office who will then distribute that around to the other branches. I intend to get the info ASAP though so will pass on info. Could you talk to your branch and see what, if any, you can take? (PS, I'll be meeting your vet tomorrow :D ).

AnnieElms, thanks for the offer. As above with regards to who has been contacted, so I don't believe your area have been contacted at all. would you be able to check with your Branch and see what, if any, they can take? I wouldn't be able to bring them to you though, but I could do the first part of the journey, if that's any use?

Do you want the contact details for our branch, phone/email? We might be able to take some piggies and let them know I'll foster.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow. :wave:

Okay we've just had a very neglected cat in and D is very busy. Can I give her your number to ring when she's a little less busy?

Back