• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help avice required for our Rocky

Rockycoco

New Kit
Hi
I have a very poorly bunny called Rocky i noticed yesterday morning that he has lost use of his front paws and has lost his balanced. I took him to our local vet who gave us a diagnosis of E cuniculi. She prescribed a drug called panacur but wasnt hopeful of recovery. It is now nearly 24hrs Rocky ha eaten about 30 food pellets and drank 2 ramekins of water. His bowel movements are very sticky but solid. Whilst at the Vets i was quite distressed and didnt absorb all the information given to me. maybe you can help?
How long will the Panacur take to fight the virus?
Will Rocky get the use of his legs back if he manages to beat the virus? Is he in pain would it be better if we put him to sleep?
is it best to treat my 2nd rabbit for e cuniculi too? sorry so many questions.

i hope you can help me

A very worried owner"

Welcome to the site, I'm sorry it's under difficult circumstances.

What was it that led to your vet diagnosing EC? What tests did he run?

The Vet gave Rocky a good all over check feeling his body checked his heartbeat which was normal. She gave a pain injection based on the symptoms that his 2 front legs are limp. she gave me some Panacur to help? he has just eaten some nuggets and water too.

I always thought that it was hind leg weakness associated with EC but maybe I am wrong.

Anyways, I have had an EC bunny with hind leg weakness. She was treated with panacur and steroids initially, then the steroids changed to metacam. I would suggest that your vet should give you some sort of pain relief / anti inflammatory for your bunny.

If he is eating and drinking / pooing and peeing normally then this is a good sign. If it is EC that he has then it can get really worse before it gets better. Often it can take weeks for a bunny to get over EC.

Good luck x

Have you heard of any other illness where the Rabbit loses use of front paws? i thought maybe he has had a stoke.

From reading through articles I see that EC is most commonly associated with hind leg weakness, but has been known to show as front leg weakness.

Front leg weakness is not something that I would automatically put down to EC, to be honest. I have a bunny at the moment who has really rubbish front legs (his back isn't great either but his main problem is his front legs) and that was caused by a slipped disc pressing on his nerves (his back end seems to have a lightly different, although related, cause). I would be wanting to look at a variety of options, which would include EC, but I wouldn't automatically be presuming anything until tihngs like X-rays have been carrier out.

Will your bunny remain on any pain relief/anti inflammatory? Have you been given any to take home?

Thanks for your advice. Rocky is still passing urine and poo but the poo is very sticky but not liquid?

Back