• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Looking for a bunny friendly vet!

Hele

Warren Veteran
Hi, newbie here hoping for some help!!!

I got two baby bunnies a few days ago and am wondering if anyone knows of any good rabbit friendly vets in the Chichester or Portsmouth area? I really want to get my boys down there soon and make sure that they get all of their jabs and stuff as soon as they are big enough but know from experience that getting a good vet helps... I'll never forget my first rabbit's first vet explaining to us that there were very few things that he could do to help my poor rabbit (who had badly overgrown front teeth causing constant eye infections) because "well it's not a dog is it?" We did find a fantastic vet after that but sadly he is over 3 hours drive from where I now live.

Thanks, Helena

Someone will probably be online soon and see your thread and be able to help you :wave:

I would recommend Pablo Fuentes Bugnone at the Fareham Companion Care inside P@H - this is my vet

and Mackie Hobson at the Portsomuth Companion Care inside P@H but he is often abroad sadly as he is amazing.

There are several members on here who have vets in Portsmouth and Emsworth etc so hopefully they'll be along soon.

I use Purbrook Vets but I wouldn't say he was bunny savvy. He suits me as he is a one man practice and does his own out of hours work. He will research and ask colleagues if he is unsure on bunny matters and has taught me to do some stuff for myself, so I have stuck with him.

I think Debbie (purplebumble) uses Downland in Emsworth where there is a bunny savvy vet.

It's great there is another bunny lover living nearby. We sometimes have get togethers so will keep you posted. I'd love to come and meet your baby buns some time if you were all up for a visitor?

I use Purbrook Vets but I wouldn't say he was bunny savvy. He suits me as he is a one man practice and does his own out of hours work. He will research and ask colleagues if he is unsure on bunny matters and has taught me to do some stuff for myself, so I have stuck with him.

I think Debbie (purplebumble) uses Downland in Emsworth where there is a bunny savvy vet.

It's great there is another bunny lover living nearby. We sometimes have get togethers so will keep you posted. I'd love to come and meet your baby buns some time if you were all up for a visitor?

Oooh thank you, that's drivable, I think I'll look into both of them... but emsworth might win by being slightly closer. Healthy buns don't really like car journeys let alone sick ones! Though a vet that likes owners being a bit more hands on sounds like heaven, I miss Jason, he was my old vet in glos area. The last time I saw him was about 5 years ago and I still remember his name. He was seriously bunny savvy!

Of course you are always welcome to come and meet the boys! (but give me a few more days at the very least so that I can construct their new house and I can get rid of the hated cage)

I'd love to join in any get togethers, my family was part of a "hopper group" set up by the rwaf when I was little and I loved it! I was the youngster of the group as the only child so it would be nice to meet like minded people as an adult! ... I really must sign myself up to them, Rabbiting On was awesome!

I've met some lovely people through this site. It is great to be able to talk 'bunny' with people who understand - although we talk about lots of other stuff too.

Will let you know when we next organise something, although it is posted on General Chat anyway.

Will contact you again in a few weeks to see if you are up for a visitor. I love meeting new bunnies (and people too).

Back