• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alec is getting better

Kwani

New Kit
So we changed Alec's bedding from pine to paper litter (the stuff for cat boxes) as was suggested by the pet store and Alec no longer has any mucus coming from his nose and his sneezing has lessoned. Do you guys think it is possible that he is simply allergic to the pine bedding? I will not be using it ever again anyway and once this litter is gone will be switching to hay bedding but I am really curious... I mean he still has the diarrhoeal from the penicillin but I cannot see how 2 days of penicillin would cure the nose or do you guys think it was that....

He is still very stressed when handled, but who can blame him considering how we have to inject or force medicine down him so much. it was nice today though handling him and just giving him strokes and cuddles.

What great news that he's improved in such a short time!
Pine bedding is a known irritant for small animals respiratory systems so I'm sure taking it away has helped him, definitely the right thing to do.

Have you spoken to your vet about the diarrhoea though? I've got very limited knowledge of bunny medicine so it could be normal with penicillin, but I would be concerned.

Pine bedding can cause all manner of problems, respiratory being the main.

Re the diarrhoea though, is it actual diarrehoa or excess caecotrophs?

Penicillin in itself could upset a buns system - how is it being given to him?

I just saw this. There are only certain types of wood shavings that should be used. TBH I now use just hay or sometimes straw with newspaper underneath to soak up the excess. The paper litter isn't bad though, I used the one from pets at home for a while for a bunny whom they said had an allergy but actually turned out to have an underlying respiratory infection that had caused scar tissue in the lungs. He would get cold like symptoms every time he got a bit stressed. I would says its worth getting him swabbed to rule out pasturella (bunny snuffles) if you haven't had that done already. It costs about £50.

Back