• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E-Cuniculi advice please

natsusakura

Warren Veteran
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice and opinions.

I have a lovely bun called Angel, and as I've recently moved into my own house i've been looking at adopting a rescue bun.
Found a bun that is perfect ( name's parley :) ), only thing is just found out he is being treated for slight head sway, possibly caused by E-cuniculi. I've been doing some research and what i've read and seen upsets me. I'd still like to give the bun a home despite his illness.

The only thing that is concerning me is that I would not want to deliberately expose Angel to something like this, as she is healthy bun with no problems.

Was just wondering what any of you guys would do, and if I get Parsley and manage to keep the e-cuniculi treated can angel still become infected with it?

All advice is so much appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, you live rather near me!

As far as I am lead to believe, if Parsley is being treated for EC, and if you give Angel a 9-day course of Panacur prior to introducing them then it should be fine, but an expert hopefully can come along and confirm.

I have had a bunny with EC when her partner was not affected at all.

Is Angel already spayed for bonding with her new partner, is he neutered - just curious?

You are like me, fall for a sad story....My two latest bunnies are from a rescue and both have / had health issues!

If Parsley has had full 28 day treatment with panacur or lapizole before you get her then she cannot pass on the parasite IF she has it. Most bunnies symptoms develop many years after the initial infection as they only pass the parasitic eggs in the first 3 weeks i think ( someone will put this right if I am wrong)after infection.

If it was me I would just make sure that parsley had had the full treatment before you get her, the head tilt may not go completely as this can be due to scarring in the brain etc but this does not mean they cannot live a normal life.

good luck

Welcome to the forum, you live rather near me!

As far as I am lead to believe, if Parsley is being treated for EC, and if you give Angel a 9-day course of Panacur prior to introducing them then it should be fine, but an expert hopefully can come along and confirm.

I have had a bunny with EC when her partner was not affected at all.

Is Angel already spayed for bonding with her new partner, is he neutered - just curious?

You are like me, fall for a sad story....My two latest bunnies are from a rescue and both have / had health issues!

Thanks for the advice! And Hamilton is only 15 mins away from me! Small world!

Angel is not neutered yet but will be getting booked in soon, just not long ago had all her jabs done. Parsley is neutered and has had all his Jabs too which is why I felt he'd be perfect for a husbunny.

I had some concerns after doing the research, there doesn't seem to be any proper definitive answers for this.

But after both your advice I think I am going to see if they will allow me to adopt him.

He's just too lovely not to. :)

Hi
I have a bunny with ec and his partner is fine! I would suggest treating your own bunny with panacur Befor getting ur new bunny.
Don't let the ec put u off parsley. My ec bunny now lives indoors with the dogs kids and cat.

I also live in Motherwell! Which vet do u use?

Hi
I have a bunny with ec and his partner is fine! I would suggest treating your own bunny with panacur Befor getting ur new bunny.
Don't let the ec put u off parsley. My ec bunny now lives indoors with the dogs kids and cat.

I also live in Motherwell! Which vet do u use?

I went to my vet and they gave me lapizole for Angel, just waiting on the guy from the rehoming place to get bak to me about Parsley!
And I actually stay in newstevenson, which still come under motherwell. I go to the Ark vet which is 5mins up the road from me. They are very good and so far seem to be very rabbit friendly.

How is your bunny with ec? I've been told that Parsley has slight head sway when relaxed, does your bun have this too?

If Parsley has had full 28 day treatment with panacur or lapizole before you get her then she cannot pass on the parasite IF she has it. Most bunnies symptoms develop many years after the initial infection as they only pass the parasitic eggs in the first 3 weeks i think ( someone will put this right if I am wrong)after infection.
ht1.jpg
jh88.jpg
test.jpg
huang10

What you're saying is exactly right from what i've researched.
There is just quite a bit we don't seem to really know about it.

Like I had never heard of it till I got told by the adoption folk that parsley had it and was treated for it.

I'm not sure I categorically can agree with some of what has been said however the majority of rabbits carry EC dormant and have no issues (in the same way they might carry pastuerella) so likely your girl is already a dormant carrier. EC comes out when the bunny is run down so keeping any bunny in good shape is really important.

That said we don't know greatly about EC and all vets believe different things. My belief is that EC is majorly misdiagnosed and that most cases of head tilt are caused by a non visisble infection (that will show up if swabbed). I've only ever had antibiotics for head tilt in my two who had it. Both improved exceptionally quickly in it (including a hirl who had had it for at least three months before coming to me). The antobio needs to be an effective one though.

I personally wouldn't have a problem taking on a bunny with head tilt. What I would advise caution in would be bonding though because the tilt and how rough it makes him feel can mask how successful a bonding would be without it and whatever happens might change if he starts to improve- either for better or worse.

I never thought about issues with bonding hmm. I haven't seen Parsley yet, but from what i was emailed he has head sway when relaxed, and they warned that it can develop into full head tilt.
So hopefully it wont cause any major issues in bonding the two?

I've been giving Angel the lapizole the vet gave me. Parsley finished his course on thursday there, so hopefully I can get him soon :)

Actually can't wait, got a lovely big area for them both in my living room.

One of our buns had head tilt caused by EC (swabs / titre / everything else done) and she has made a full recovery although 2 years ago her head was in a terrible position and she couldn't even stand. Buttercup was treated with a 28 day dose of panacur and an even longer regime of metacam all carefully monitored by our vet.

Squirrel her husbun also had a 28 day dose and was checked by our vet by default as he went with Buttercup for moral support when she had her regular check ups.

That was two years ago and Buttercup has made a full recovery and Squirrel has never shown any signs of EC. I do treat all our buns with a 28 days dose of panacur every 6 - 8 months (with the 10% solution) and all under the direction of our vet. Others here wouldn't necessary agree with this and I do agree that EC can be mis-diagnosed so a good vet is a must.

Good luck, let us know the outcome :wave:

following parasite treatment

Hi all

Following a 30 day stink of a daily anti parasite medication to my dwarf lop i have now found she is very active! im hoping in a good way - digging more moving things around etc is this normal following treatment?!?!?!?!??

If she is happy and bopping around then this sounds good :)
I had to give Angel Lapizole before I got Parsley just as a precaution, and she hated the syringe, wouldn't speak to me after I gave her it :lol:

Back