• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ohh noooo!

pirplebear

New Kit
My daughters bunnies who we thought were sisters, have bred and produced 2 beautiful kits who are now 3 weeks old. Dad was neutered at that time and separated from mum before she gave birth..however..today we find she has had another litter!..I have read that rabbits have two 'horns' to their uterus and can carry babies in both, but is it possible for her to be 3 weeks pregnant and conceive again???. Also, what to do now as first litter are still too young to be weaned...

Of dear!

If dad was present at the time of birth mum can get pregnant again straight away, just an hour after the birth.

Gestation is approx 30 days.

Can't advise re the babies I'm afraid, I think sometimes all can rub along together but others mum will push the older babes aside.

Oh goodness :shock:

Sorry I have very limited experience of pregnancy and young bunnies, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give you the answers you need x

How many in the second litter?
If there's not too many mum might cope. Perhaps you could speak to a vet about possibly supplementing the feeding of the older babies so she has more milk for the newborns?
And make sure mum has unlimited hay and food.
Also you could supplement with foods which are rich in calcium like spinach to help her make more milk (introduced slowly so as no to upset her stomach) and alfalfa hay is high in protein.

I haven't disturbed the nest as am afraid she may harm them if I do.. is it ok to keep them all together, ?.. I am still puzzled to say the least that she has had a second litter, she has had no direct contact with her mate since before the first two were born..

Welcome to the site :)

This might be useful to read. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

Yes, she can get pregnant in her second uterine horn, although it would be uncommon. I would wonder if maybe the older litter might be older than you think? Is there any possibilty that could be the case?

If there is anyway to keep them together then you need to try, but you'll ned to keep an eye that all are feeding, that the younger litter are thriving and mum is not bullying the older litter and trying to make them leave. I would guess both litters are on the small side?

first litter born 30th March, so they are a month old..but mum and dad were separated before she had them at least a few days..but the gestation is right.... thanks for the link, very informative

Last edited:
Then somehow she got pregnant. The situation is a little less dire then because if you do need to separate them then you can. The link should explain the majority of what you need to know :)

Back