• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pat has a tummy ache AGAIN

catxx

Mama Doe
Given her tummy rubs, will try and syringe some critical care in a bit - anyone got any tips on how to get the powder into stuff and then into the syringe? Need tips! She was fine, running around the garden, must have eaten the wrong bit of grass as she then went into her run and flopped :(

Sounds like she could be gassy from the grass maybe?? Do you have any infacol?

If feeding critical care, mix it to a thin paste with water in a lid or tiny bowl then draw it up the syringe in the regular way. Mine like the critical care from a dish unless they are feeling very poorly.

sorry, this will be a rushed post

please dont syringe feed unless you are certain that there is no obstruction or bloat

syringe feeds in those circumstances will make things much worse

if in doubt just syringe water until a vet has examined her

sending vibes

She's still bouncing around a bit, enough to run away from me :( keeping a close eye on her, thanks guys!

She was completely flat out in the hutch, so I called the emergency vets. Sadly the useless one was on duty (scruffed Bob last year >_<) so I just went there without Pat and picked up gut meds and painkiller to administer myself.

By the time I got home she bounded over to the bars with her brother and snatched a carroty from my fingers, then went for a very long drink of water :love:

I had given her some gut meds I had left over from Bob's episodes throughout last year, apparently that did the trick. Still going to the vets tomorrow though! Sorry Pat.

Popped to the vets this morning, was given an extra bit of gut stimulant and painkiller. She's lost a bit of weight but so has Bob and neither feel thin, most likely just from extra running about losing the winter weight! If she goes into stasis again they'll take her in for blood tests etc and check and see if something else is going on that needs investigating.

Maybe she just had gas? Doughnut was hunched in the corner not eating and I took her to the vets and she was bloated. All the injections and meds got her going again. I now give her bramble leaves to keep her digestion in good order and also dill as that's good for gas. Although recently she's turned her nose up at that so going to try other things. I know lemon balm is good but she doesn't like that, now started growing peppermint to give that a go. Anything to prevent another episode like before, too stressful!

As it happened right when she was out on the grass, the nice fresh stuff that's been growing in all this rain, that was probably the cause and gave her gas. They do actually have brambles growing in the garden to pick at as and when they want to. The garden was full of the blinkin' stuff, took out all but two lumps of it in the bunny's part of the garden.

Back