• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice + Rabbits does that = rellocating to an outdoors bun

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Firstly this story isn’t as straight forward as I would like. Maple is my baby, I love her to bits and spend all my spare time with her, unfortunately I live on the fourth floor of a flat and the flats have recently become home to mice. I have panic attacks and the mice recently pushed me over the edge a little and I had to move back to my parents with Maple. Pest control have put mice poison down all around my flat so its not safe for maple at present for obvious reasons. My problem is that she is clearly going to attract the mice into the house with her constant supply of hay, straw and food (all of which is kept to a caged area not scattered around the flat – not that that has helped!)

I’m moving back to my flat tonight (I’m terrified and feel sick at the thought) but Maple is staying with my mum for the time being. My mum has a lovely big rabbit proofed garden that Maple loves and I wonder if im being cruel even considering bringing her back to the flat? She gets so excited when she sees me and always runs over and wants her nose rubs and cuddles, it broke my heart this morning saying goodbye to her for a few weeks. I know if she stayed at my mums she would be cared for with 100% unconditional love and care as my mum is amazing with her and very intuitive to her needs (although Maple has taken to barking at her when she picks her up so im not sure the love is reciprocated!!)

I haven’t broached the subject 100% seriously with my mum about Maple going to live there permanently but im sure she would be ok if I were to buy a decent outdoor hutch with attached run, and pay for her care and upkeep. But if she was to have to move outdoors, when and how would I go about doing this? She has only ever been outside for long periods in the summer months and I know she has recently shed all her winter fur… for what seems like the fourth time since November! Any advice would be really appreciated about how to best relocate her to an outdoors bunny. She could still have the run of the kitchen and hall during colder/wetter days/months as my mum is happy to have her inside when she is home so it’s not as if she would be abandoned out there. I know someone will mention getting a second rabbit especially if she is moved outside which I would ideally love to do but I know that would push my mum more likely to say no, that would be a subject I would have to broach after she had taken her on.

Wow ive really rambled but I could really do with some advice PLEASE!

xxx

Hi
Reading through what you have written I think you would be making a big mistake. It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with Maple and it would be extremely sad for you and for Maple to end that, you would miss each other too much. House rabbits can have a fantastic life indoors just as much as a rabbit that lives outdoors. I don't think you are being cruel bringing her back to the flat. I think to go outside on her own all of a sudden would maybe cause her to be a little lonely as she is getting more attention living indoors with you. If your mum doesn't live far away, can you not keep up the visits with Maple to your mums as a treat? Apparently moth balls help in keeping mice away as they hate the smell (sure there are other things that can help too that won't be harmful to Maple) Also you can get alarm plugs that help to keep mice at bay and you could put one in another room that Maple does not go in. (just make sure it is the plug that does not go through to all the electric wires of the house as this may then effect Maple, those ones tend to be a lot more expensive than the normal plugs) I have them in my house upstairs and although the rabbits are downstairs, they have occasionally run past them and not looked bothered by them at all, but don't think I would keep them downstairs near them constantly. Also, mice are attracted by all kinds of things and I don't think having some hay & rabbit food is going to be the main reason to attract them, they would be more interested in your food in the cupboards than hay or rabbit food. I know there are plenty of mice out and about in my garden at night and I know we have them in the loft in the winter time, but I have never had them come into the house. Hopefully your landlord has sorted the problem now.

I didn't think that mice were attracted to hay / straw, I didn't think that they ate that. If that is true then could you not just only give her enough pellet food that she would eat and not have any lying about?

I think more than anything its the fear of the mice in my house (irrational i know but not something i can control) and the fact im worried for Maple (fully vaccinated) but im worried they could hurt her or give her diseases.

My neighbour had apparantly been watching the mice for weeks before i first noticed droppings, she is so irresponsible, there are babies living on our floor who coudl be crawling aroundon mice urinated floors and picking up droppings. She has also seen them since i managed to get one in a snap trap so i know it wasnt just the one rogue. I think if i could work out how they were getting in and block that then i would feel more secure to bring maple back, its a new build so there arent lots of old cracks and holes like with an older apartment.

Does anyone know how true the wire wool and peppermint oil methods are? Apparantly they cant get through wire wool so i was going to block any holes with those wire wool sponges and put peppermint oil anywhere i think could have an access space but im not sure if its just wishful thinking that this may help!?

I dont want to give Maple up at all and ill do all i can to make myself feel secure enough to have her back but i would still appreciate any tips on how to move her outside in case i feel she needs to stay with my mum longer.

Thank you

I didn't think that mice were attracted to hay / straw, I didn't think that they ate that. If that is true then could you not just only give her enough pellet food that she would eat and not have any lying about?

Thank you. To be honest i dont know what attracts them or if hay and straw is a draw, im just going with my panicked thoughts! I dont think she was the main reason they entered the building as were on the fourth floor but im worried that if they know she has food that they wil just keep coming back. TO be honest her food is only down 5 minutes before she gobbled it all up but i dont know if her general smell attracts them? I keep her and my apartment super clean so there is no other reason for the mice to hang around. I hope I arrive home tonight and there is no sign at all from the weekend, then i will feel a little better.

Decking is a more likely cause of a place to get mice due to dropped human food :D

There is no link to rabbit keeping and mice, this was an arguement i had against my street when i moved in :roll:. In fairness i have a mouse now (unless my cat managed to get it) but thats got nothing to do with the rabbits, its simply "one of those things" :D

Back