• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Roxxy chest infection....How?

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi well Roxxy was fine yesterday morning and did the usual running around can't wait for food with her brother and sisters and was fine when put in the run while i cleaned the hutches. She was alright when i put them all back and then later on i did notice she was a bit off when she didn't come running over for hay and she is usually the nosiest of the four. We got her out and gave her water by syringe, she refused any hay or veg but i had noticed she pooped. We took her to the vet earlier this morning and she is staying in for a few days because they told us she has a chest infection and nothing serious. I am confused as to how she got it when all her siblings are fine. I know they say the best cure is prevention but i don't know how she got it. I know they have started moulting again as the weather has warmed a little but nothing else is different. Has anyone got any thoughts?

Well monday afternoon we get told by vet Roxxy has to stay overnight but she has eaten some hay. We got called Tuesday afternoon and got told she isn't eating on her own and they are having to syringe feed her so she has to be in for another night.

I'm getting really worried now. I was alright with her being in the vets (as it is the best place for her with this illness) but the change from improving on monday to not eating on her own is getting me thinking the worst is going to happen. And the chest infection... i still don't understand how she got it. Could the weather have contributed? It has been changing from warm to almost freezing the last few weeks and with the on/off rain.

I really want her back home with the others. It has only been a few days but i am really missing her, it is strange going out to the others without her pushing to the front and being so nosey or being right there knowing exactly when i am coming along with hay/veg. Please let her get well so she can return home soon.

Lower Respiratory Tract infections are serious so your Rabbit will be requiring intensive care.

There is some information about LRTIs here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/PneumoniaRabbits.htm

http://www.vetbase.co.uk/information/respiratory-disease-rabbit.php

I hope that your Rabbit will recover well and be home soon.

Ok Roxxy is home now. We got a phone call yesterday and got her in the evening. She has some baytril (we've never had this for the rabbits before) to be given until it runs out which should be next wednesday. Roxxy has to go back next wednesday to be checked again.

I read up on those links but Roxxy didn't have any white gunky stuff coming out of her nose and we only got told a chest infection that wasn't serious. So i am confused, if it is pasturella wouldn't the vets have told us it was a serious condition?

Does your rabbit have a lower or upper respitory infection? When you say chest I assumed you meant lungs and therefore a lower infection, as I'm sure Jane did, which would imply a very poorly rabbit. An upper respitory infection whilst it can be serious (my bun was on meds for years) it can also effect some buns very mildly. Is your vet experienced with bunnies?

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

Back