• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy sneezing...

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
She has gone to the vets today for another tear duct flush but I think it just made it worse.. We're going to take her for a check up this week to talk to the vet. Her sneezing is sounding snotty now and I saw something fly out of her nose, whether it was actually snot or the stuff from flushing I don't know, but it sounds horrible :( She can't stop herself so we have to calm her down and she's okay. She'll have 1 or 2 sneezing fits a day.

Are there tests for snuffles? Our vet said we don't need to worry unless we see discharge and I 'think' I'm seeing it.. She's had a course of baytril before but that did nothing, some powder so stop mucus from forming (or something) and now tear duct flushing. So unless the flushing is making it loose and making her sneeze more I don't know what it is, or what to do until we see the vet :( I hope it isn't snuffles but I have a horrible feeling.. I keep thinking it's her teeth but they said they're as good as they can be right now :?

Sorry to hear about Poppy.

The vet can do a test for "snuffles", called a culture and sensitivity test (C & S). They use something like an extra long cotton bud and put it up bun's nose to get some of the mucus. It is then sent away to see what grows.

My Honey used to sneeze a lot, with no discharge, until last summer when the discharge came. It took months of antibiotics to get rid of it, but now she seldom sneezes.

Sorry to hear about Poppy.

The vet can do a test for "snuffles", called a culture and sensitivity test (C & S). They use something like an extra long cotton bud and put it up bun's nose to get some of the mucus. It is then sent away to see what grows.

My Honey used to sneeze a lot, with no discharge, until last summer when the discharge came. It took months of antibiotics to get rid of it, but now she seldom sneezes.

Thanks :) I do worry about her.. I will ask the vet to do a test then, I have only seen that one thing shoot out of her nose once so it could have been the stuff they flush it with but it's hard to tell because she cleans her face while she's sneezing so maybe she wipes it all away :? Also since the first flush her eye has got a lot worse and you can see it running but I think that was the flush stuff too, I've been cleaning it away a few times a day for her.

Are the insides of her front legs mucky? If she is wiping the snot away herself, the insides of the legs usually get stained, and the fur matted.

Honey's snot was easy to see. Thick, horrid stuff :shock:

Are the insides of her front legs mucky? If she is wiping the snot away herself, the insides of the legs usually get stained, and the fur matted.

Honey's snot was easy to see. Thick, horrid stuff :shock:

No I don't think so, I picked her up this morning and her legs and paws felt all fluffy, her nose does feel wet sometimes but the vet said she could be sneezing because of her over active tear ducts, maybe it's going down her nose if that's possible?

this will be interesting for me to see what results are as one of my fosters is sneezing a lot. her breathing is sometimes a bit snotty but i haven't seen discharge or dirty paws. her nose is sometimes wet and the sneezing seems to happen more when she eats.
she is only about 9 weeks old and had a very bad start in lfe. she was dehydrated and painfully thin when i took her in and after a check up my vet says her chest is clear and hopefully with good food and tlc she should start to get better. but that was been 3 weeks ago.. maybe i am just impatient. :?

Sneezing Rabbits

Hello

I hope your bunny gets the tests done Why a rabbit sneezes can be quite varied. Rabbits, like humans can be allergic or can have respiratory infections. If the discharge is clear its likely to be an allergy however if its thick,white, yellow or green this is more likely to be an infection. Infections can be passed from one rabbit to another and back again, so need to get it sorted just in case! Good luck!
http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/blog/?s=runny+nose

Back