• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual bunny loss

Kbundock

New Kit
Hi all,

I am currently heart broken over the loss of my rabbit last night, and I'm hoping someone here can help give me some closure and reassure me about my remaining rabbit

So yesterday morning, went upstairs which is where my buns are kept and all way fine. Went back up about 10pm and my female was not well at all. She was slumped at the front of the cage, really laboured breathing with her head tilted up trying to breath. I opened her hutch, she was very cold to the touch, she didn't run around like mad like she normally would. Then she came out and was really unsteady on her feet, she looked so confused and just kept running into things. She also wasn't eating, drinking or pooing. And she was grinding her teeth which I've read is a sign on pain? She had no teeth problems.

I of course took her to an emergency vet, he suspected a lung infection and wanted to keep her in over night in an oxygen tank. He gave her antibiotics, pain relief, a drip and something to help her digestion. I got a phone call an hour later to say she had a seizure and they couldn't revive her :-(

So I of course deviated and heartbroken. I can't help question is it something I've done wrong? Could I of prevented this somEhow? This came on so quick, it's been such a shock

She had a bladder infection 3 weeks ago which was treated with antibiotics, I only knew about it when she was passing blood. Are the two related at all?

Also is my other bunny at risk? He is kept in a separate hutch on top of her hitch.

Little bit extra info: she was about 5 years old, dutchxlionhead, unspayed, never had a litter and never had a sick day in her life til the past month

I am very sorry for your loss.

It is of course impossible for any of us to say what caused the death of your rabbit - and if you are very concerned I would suggest a post mortem.

I do however wonder if the blood in the urine combined with the fact she is not spayed, and the final symptoms of difficulty breathing MAY suggest cancer of the womb which typically causes blood in the urine and then in final stages the growths spread and press into the lungs.

Approx. 80% of unspayed female rabbits will die of cancer before they are 5 (hence the need to always spay female buns).

Of course as I say only a post mortem might confirm this and there could be many other causes.

Did the vet mention the possibility at the consult 3 weeks ago or do any tests for this or did s/he run tests on the urine to establish that it was an infection?

If the tests showed there was a urine infection then of course the cancer is less likely cause . .

No she didn't run any tests. She had a feel and because she seemed sensitive in that area she suspected infection or stones and because it cleared up with antibiotics it was just put down to an infection.

I didn't know that about does, I've kept buns for 12 years, mostly females and none have ever gone like this so 80% seems a bit high but maybe I've just been lucky

Surely spaying wouldn't prevent cancer as only the felopian tubes are tied of and removed, leaving the womb behind?

Thanks for the reply :)

i can offer no wisdom in this area, but i am very sorry for your loss of your bunny. it is such a saddness and feel with great sympathy. xxx

No she didn't run any tests. She had a feel and because she seemed sensitive in that area she suspected infection or stones and because it cleared up with antibiotics it was just put down to an infection.

I didn't know that about does, I've kept buns for 12 years, mostly females and none have ever gone like this so 80% seems a bit high but maybe I've just been lucky

Surely spaying wouldn't prevent cancer as only the felopian tubes are tied of and removed, leaving the womb behind? Thanks for the reply :)

When rabbits are spayed the uterus is removed.

Ah I assumed it was like a dog, makes sense then. Seemed weird how the vet didn't check for it? And also that antibiotics cleared it up and had no blood or issues for 3 weeks :-/

Thanks for the condolences, I'm lost without her :-(

Ah I assumed it was like a dog, makes sense then. Seemed weird how the vet didn't check for it? And also that antibiotics cleared it up and had no blood or issues for 3 weeks :-/

Thanks for the condolences, I'm lost without her :-(

So sorry you lost her. :cry:

(I thought that when spaying rabbits, dogs and cats, the uterus was removed)

with rabbits the whole thing is removed. You have been lucky in the past if you have managed to get unspayed females to a 'natural' lifespan of 10 + years.

the percentage obviously varies according to the age range included within the parameters. I think the lowest level taking all ages into inclusion is something like 60% but risk goes up with age.

Spaying is also recommended for behavioural reasons and for the sake of the bun (who will be hormonally driven otherwise) and so that they can be easily and happily paired with a (castrated) male bun for company.

PS should be clear I am not saying that is waht it definitely was - I have not seen the rabbit and am not a vet. Just that those symptoms would normally give warning bells for this. Any unspayed female with blood in urine would be a prime suspect for cancer.

Last edited:
Really sorry about your bunny...Wish I could give you some insight but I am new to the bunny world.
I know with dogs they remove the uterus as well. My bitches have been spayed and they removed their uterus.

Back