• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I get soo anxious taking bun to vets.

Martin7

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone.

I was a regular member here a couple of years ago, but been a while really since I posted anything, and I couldn't remember my email or details etc, so rejoined.

And well I still have the same bun I did when I first registered a few years ago.

but the only difference being is now I am no longer with my partner and it was she who always managed to get my bun in his box.. so I had to take over!

My dental bun absolutely hates being picked up (he's totally free range in the house), and to get him in his box will sometimes take me the best part of a day of secretly hiding his box, making sure he can't smell it, then I kind of have to pretend to pet him and then quickly scoop him up which supprises him and put him in his box, but this makes me feel soooo guilty like I tricked him, but It's the only way, as soon as he realises his box is out I can never catch him and he gets so stressed out. This supprise method is the only way I've been able to do it, and a couple of times I've had to reschedule an appoint for regular check up because I simply couldnt catch him to get him there at the appropiate time. (have to get taxi's) so everything has to be timed so he spends as little time as possible in his carrier.

but before any vet visit, my heart sinks, even if it's just a regular checkup and my stomache goes into absolute knots and I get sharp shooting pains in my stomach, etc, I don't sleep the night before, It's like my anxiety goes into overdrive, and nothing I do seems to make it any easier, its like the worst feeling in the world. I literally have to psyche myelf up for it days in advance but it still horrendeous when the actual day comes.

I wondered if anyone else experiences something like this, as when I talk to my follks about it, they just think Im kinda nuts.. I know our pets pick up our vibe ,and my stressing and anxiety probably make the situation worse for both of us, but I find it almost impossibe to relax:s..

Thanks

Martin

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to RU! :wave: You are not crazy I assure you, I feel the exact same way about taking my buns to the vets! I try my best to be calm about it as they pick up on anxiety so easily and get even more stressed out because of it, but it's difficult :( When Boris got neutered I was a nervous wreck all day, couldn't eat or anything, and God knows what I'll be like when Bella gets spayed :shock: There will be tears, no doubt! It's not an easy thing to deal with if you're still somewhat new to rabbits etc. (new as in less experienced that a lot of people here are!) but sometimes you just gotta deal with it. Afterwards it feels great! :D And part of being a responsible rabbit owner is taking them for check-ups and seeking treatment for them when unwell, so you're really doing something wonderful for them that will benefit them in the long run, even if they don't exactly appreciate it there and then :)

Have you spoken to your doctor? I know it seems drastic but your bun picks up on your feelings.

I have generalised anxiety so the feeling you are describing when you have to take him for an appt I used to get ALL the time. Everyday. I now take daily beta blockers which help to reduce the effects you feel from the adrenaline, which is half the battle. I know you can also have them just on an as needed basis as well.

Sorry, I realise I should not have jumped straight onto the pill bandwagon - I will also tell you that cognitive behavioural therapy can be helpful as well, where you can speak to a counsellor about the triggers for your feelings and how you can use your thought processes to overcome them.

Hope that helps? Your doctor would be able to discuss all the options with you and I am sure I have not covered everything, just the things I have encountered during my own treatment.

Hi:wave: I get really stressed when taking buns to vets, I have 4 bunnies and so I have to visit the vets quite regularly what with vaccinations etc, I talk to my bunnies on the way in the car, and my son thinks I am mad, but my son is really good and my daughter cos they always help to get the buns in the carrier for me, but I always feel so guilty taking them to vets even though its for their own good!! I always think it would be lovely if the vet could come to my house instead:lol:

Hi Everyone, and thanks for the replies..

@Hi Oompa-Loompa, Thank You! It's good often just to know your not alone etc, and just telling someone etc can make a huge difference, I tried googling it but there didn't seem to be much information from the Pet owners perspective on anxiety etc. and the crying.. Yeah, I can relate to that.. I think I've probably done that a few times when he had to have a GA and full dental, coming back home while he was there was just heartbreaking for me, and my mind was full of "what ifs..." it's the longest day for sure... what you said is true, and we are doing because we love them and doing the right thing by them, so thank You for your kind words.

@Hi Kavanne, you know it's been so bad these last couple of times, I'm really thinking of going to see the doc about it and just explaining.. even if he can give me something just for vet day would probably work, or at least stop me transmitting my anxiety enough for nuggy to pick up on, to me its the most horrendeous feeling, I can only imagine what it must of been like to have to deal with that on a daily basis OMG!.. as it stands, I have to take him for a front tooth to be clipped about every 8-10 weeks, that was a huge task in itself coming to terms with that but it literally takes a few seconds, and hes' fine right away after it and eating but sulks for a day or so, and then a full dental under GA about every 10 months or so.. I can honestly say in a year, it's always those times which create the absolute most anxiety in me. and I have literally had nightmares about them:S.. Soo.. yeah, think it's probably worth a chat with the doc.

@Hi Scarlet, I often feel bad for my bun because it's just him and me, though I work at home so I am with him more or less 24/7, but I feel bad he doesn't have a bunny GF and I would love for him to have one and have another of his own kind, plus provide a home for a rescue bun etc, but I'm too scared to have to maybe deal with twice the vet trips and potentials for them etc, considering how anxious I get now which has stopped me from getting another, but at the same time I would love another one:s.. I've often thought be great if the vet could come here too, but he would never catch him.. as soon as a stranger entered or he smelt he was the vet, that would be it lol..

Thank You for all the replies, just sharing it really helps.. shame there's no kind of catnip for buns, or something that puts them on cloud 9 for a whee while so they just willingly walk into their box happy..:s

Hi Blue Vix...

hmm... I think I would be worried he might associate vet/fear with food, etc and maybe not eat? or eve if he did loose all fear, I wonder what would the happen the next time "the box" took him off to the vets instead..

Back