• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More advice on Timon with GS please and update:(

hayley2126

Warren Scout
hey all

Timon still has not improved he has had bloods done is on an IV which he has just chewed though :lol: bless him. And is on metoclopramide, zantax, and metacam (no poos nor eating :cry:) tummy starting to make some noise's

here are a few questions which i hope you may be able to give some advice on

We can pick him up but they are recommending he stays another eve on the IV with round the clock care would you bring him home or leave him another eve on IV?

The thing is i know he would be less stressed at home and more likely to eat but I would end up taking him back in the morning as Guy Carter is in so should i leave stressing him out with what would be a 1.5 hr journey back this eve then back tomorrow and wait for Guy to see him in the morning and for his advice?

I can go and visit him in a bit which i will do either way and take him some creature comforts should i take the other two boys and put him in the carry cot with them for half hour (not sure I can with him on an IV never seen a bun with one? Again do i do this and stress out the other two with the journey as pumba just freezes and hates being in the car and I would be taking them to pick him up should i wait till tomorrow.

The thing is when i brought Belle home we lost her and i am so worried the same will happen i am rubbish with feeding and medicating and get myself in a real state about it which i no the bunster can sense and stresses him out i do try but am just not good at it but thankfully the OH is amazing and is off work tuesday so again if i pick him up tomorrow he will be here to help with all of that.

Any help to any of these questions and positive vibes would be very gratefully received

Thank you soooo much in advance

Personally I would leave him there if that's what they want to do when my little girls went into stasis she was hospitalised for 3 days , sending loads a get better soon vibes :)

no i havent but i am not sure if they would show us that this eve i could ask though its really also down to the travel and taking him back in the morning to see guy not sure what to do for the best :(

hey all

Timon still has not improved he has had bloods done is on an IV which he has just chewed though :lol: bless him. And is on metoclopramide, zantax, and metacam (no poos nor eating :cry:) tummy starting to make some noise's

here are a few questions which i hope you may be able to give some advice on

We can pick him up but they are recommending he stays another eve on the IV with round the clock care would you bring him home or leave him another eve on IV?

If they reccomend he stays I would leave him there.
:)

The thing is i know he would be less stressed at home and more likely to eat but I would end up taking him back in the morning as Guy Carter is in so should i leave stressing him out with what would be a 1.5 hr journey back this eve then back tomorrow and wait for Guy to see him in the morning and for his advice?

I would not stress him further with so much travelling

I can go and visit him in a bit which i will do either way and take him some creature comforts should i take the other two boys and put him in the carry cot with them for half hour (not sure I can with him on an IV never seen a bun with one? Again do i do this and stress out the other two with the journey as pumba just freezes and hates being in the car and I would be taking them to pick him up should i wait till tomorrow.

I'd wait till tomorrow. Let the vets do their work. Hopefully he won't be in much longer x

The thing is when i brought Belle home we lost her and i am so worried the same will happen i am rubbish with feeding and medicating and get myself in a real state about it which i no the bunster can sense and stresses him out i do try but am just not good at it but thankfully the OH is amazing and is off work tuesday so again if i pick him up tomorrow he will be here to help with all of that.

Do not feel bad for not been good at these things:) . Some people find the stress of it all too much. Doesn't mean you're a bad owner. He is in the best possible place right now x Hope he improves soon x

Any help to any of these questions and positive vibes would be very gratefully received

Thank you soooo much in advance

:)

Thank you Lee-anne that is so helpful when you say wait till tomorrow do you mean i should not pop and see him this eve?

Hi :wave:

Just spotted your post. Definately leave Timon where he is. Medivet are really good there will be peeps there all night to check on him & encourage him to eat. I think I met Timon when he was in for his injections or a check up, cant quite remember cos I was worrying about losing my bun Pipkin to bloat. Do you have another 2 buns, 1 called Pumba? Hope everything goes well for you.

[hey femi said he met you when he got back it was the 6th of jan i think because i had all my family up for a late xmas

i did bring him home (had not seen this before) but i did not plan to but i took a carry case with some litter in from his brothers and freash hay and he just hopped in and started eating the hay. He had not eaten anything for the vets so they said as they were stopping the iv and the hopital was hetic that they thought he would be better at home. I have to say i could hear the dogs houling from outside so think it was quite bad for him.

He has bitten through quite a few drips now :lol: and we are medicating on the clock. bit of a nightmare on introducing him back to his brothers as one of them lunged for him a couple of times (had i ahve known i was bringing him back i would have took them with me) so have not long been on a milk run to tesco with them all. since they have been back they do not seem to bad tons of grooming between two of them the other is still alittle unsure so the OH who you met is at the mo alseep next to them bless him but will be up to medicate in a few mins.

Do you live near here as it would be fantastic to kno another dedicated bunny lover in the area.

take care

hayley
ps hope this makes sense im shattered and not really with it

QUOTE=Kipper;5358252]Hi :wave:

Just spotted your post. Definately leave Timon where he is. Medivet are really good there will be peeps there all night to check on him & encourage him to eat. I think I met Timon when he was in for his injections or a check up, cant quite remember cos I was worrying about losing my bun Pipkin to bloat. Do you have another 2 buns, 1 called Pumba? Hope everything goes well for you.[/QUOTE]

ps not sure if i have made the right choice yet i just had to go with my gut /vet advice and from just seeing his little face perk up and start eating one he could smell his brothers

Morning Hayley, glad he's wanting to eat by himself again. Just keep up the flulds and all that you are doing anyway.

I think I would have done the same thing myself with the dogs etc because as we discussed, many bunnies even in routine situations would not eat if stressed by environment - particularly if they are not fully well. And you are reading his behaviour with your gut instinct and for me that can be very important.

I think that if you feel that it's going to be a problem today (can't remember if you are working today or not but if you are working and they can't be watched) then I'd try and split them side by side if you are seeing the lunging, baring in mind that he is 'the outsider' in some ways anyway, because you don't want to add injury to his ailments. But make sure that that can see/smell/hear each other. I know you are heading back to see Guy today so that is when I'd put them all back together and take them with. If you aren't working today, then I'd put them into a small area using something to pen them in, away from their original home (so as neutral as possible) if you can and make them be right next to each other until they settle down.

Rub your hands all over all of them and mix up the scent from their cheek glands etc so that they start to all smell themselves on each other again too. If necessary, I would do as you have already and put them in their carrier and keep them together even if it's just having them sit in the living room like that for a while so that they are forced to be next to each other.

You'll be just fine.

Helen

Hi

How's everything going today? Have all the buns settled down? Its always difficult to decide what to do for the best. I went through the same thing when Pipkin stayed at the vets she was there for over a week & it was noisy a lot of the time. Such a shame they dont have a quiet area for the buns especially as stress can make them ill & hinder any improvement. Pipkin stayed by herself as the vet needed to know for sure that it was her poo they were looking at & not Munchkins.

I'm in Watford by the way & its always good to know that another mad bunny person is nearby. Thats why this site is so good, non bunny people just think Im weird & cant understand how & why my buns rule my life.

Jai

Back