• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips on bonding with a new bunny

Georgi

Young Bun
:wave: just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a nervous bunny to trust you, I've only had Cello since Wednesday so I know it's still early days!

I've tried lying on the floor to let her come over and explore but she never comes over, she'll relax and eat/wash herself if she thinks I'm not watching but as soon as she realises I am she stops and if I move (even if its not towards her) she often hides.

She's taken some food off me once through the run bars but all the other times I've tried she'll come for a sniff and then back off or Buzz will come and steal the food instead :roll::lol: I managed to get a teeny stroke in today before she moved away so we're making slow progress but I'm hoping there are some more ideas I can try to get her to trust me a bit more.

Thanks! :)

Hi,:wave:

I am sure you are doing things right, it just takes a little time and patience.

This is what I have been doing with my new female rabbit which may be of use to you?

My latest addition, Tilly was very timid when she came to me two months ago. I was told she was a friendly rabbit but she was so shy and practically jumped and scurried away whenever I went near her. I am fairly new to rabbits but realised that it would take her some time to get to know me and to trust me. I left her alone for the first week, other than to feed her and tidy hutch etc. Then, I started to try touching her but she did not like this but she would come up and smell me before running away. I tried giving her food to eat from my hand and when she accepted this, I again tried to progress to rubbing her nose. After about two weeks, she allowed me to rub her nose for a couple of seconds, which developed to a gentle head rub and then eventually, a stroke of her back!. Now she runs up to me and nudges me and loves having nose/head rubs and being stroked.

It has taken two months to get this far but I am so pleased that she now likes a bit of fuss and attention. However, she has just come back from the vets today after being spayed so I hope she will still trust me!

Good luck

Thanks for that, things have taken a slight set back with Cello as she went into stasis yesterday and really did not appreciate me having to syringe feed her :cry: She's eating and pooping much better now though so I think tomorrow I'll move her and Buzz back into their hutch and then we'll start again with getting her to trust me.
She has exceptionally bad timing, just as I thought I was getting somewhere with her.. and my exams start on Thursday :shock: Naughty bunnies!

Back