• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wife to the vets?

dawnieb

Warren Scout
My boy Lucius has hurt one of his front legs, I've no idea how but now he's not putting any weight on it. :? I took him to the vet on Friday who gave him an anti inflammatory and pain relief and asked us to come back tomorrow. Lucius is bonded to Miriam and normally when they go to the vets they go together. Tomorrow when we go back the vet said if there hasn't been any improvement - there hasn't - hell have an x ray. He has to stay overnight for an x ray because it's at the other branch. I asked if Miriam could go with him and the vet said that was fine. I'm just concerned that if he needs a GA about what to do with Miriam. Should she be with him all the time? None of my rabbits have ever needed a GA before and I'm worried about breaking their bond. :( She has been looking after him even fetching him pieces of food!

She will be ok if you take her with him :D I always take mine together when one of them has anything done :D

Hahaa I can go visit my bunnys if they kept in overnight or a couple of days was like going to hospital with basil and coriander instead of grapes and flowers :D

Mine have always gone together, I think it helps to keep them calmer and it also means that you don't risk the bond breaking down because one of them comes home from the vets smelling funny. Once my vet has had to separate one of my pairs for a couple of hours so they could monitor what he was eating/pooping etc, but they basically put the other one in a hay-filled carrier inside the same pen so that they could still see and be close to each other but could monitor his input/output. As it was only for a short while, I was happy with that.

Thanks for your help guys, Miriam and Lucius went off tithe vets together tonight and I'll pick them up tomorrow. Bit nervous about Lucius having a GA but I'm sure he'll be fine:(

Back