• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female bunny with firm rounded belly?

Cashew1992

Young Bun
The past 2 weeks I've noticed Jessica's belly has been getting very firm and rounded, There's no possible chance that she is pregnant as my male bunny was neutered 7 weeks ago and I've not had them in direct contact for a few months.

She is still eating and pooping perfectly fine I clean her litter box daily and there is always fresh pellets, her behaviour's not changed either and she is very active i'm just concerned I noticed it mostly what she stood up. I quickly snapped a picture to show.

But Any idea on what could be causing this?

2lbjczc.jpg

Thanks all :)

No she's not spayed, She is almost 4 years old. I am hoping to get her to the vets soon but I couldn't contact them today as its sunday.

My mum's starting to think it might be a tumour because I had an unspayed lone bunny when I was in my early teens and she had a noncancerous abdomen tumour when she was 3 years old

My 3-year-old unspayed doe has a bit of a round tummy but hers has always been like that; and it's soft, not firm. I don't know if it's because she's a little chubby or if it's just her body shape, she's quite heavily built and looks quite big although I can feel her ribs etc. without much of an effort.

Don't have any advice unfortunately but I hope she's ok :wave: She's a beautiful bunny :)

Last edited:
No she's not spayed, She is almost 4 years old. I am hoping to get her to the vets soon but I couldn't contact them today as its sunday.

My mum's starting to think it might be a tumour because I had an unspayed lone bunny when I was in my early teens and she had a noncancerous abdomen tumour when she was 3 years old

I think that is what Jane might have been thinking (sorry if I'm wrong).
A large percentage of females develop uterine cancer by the age of five if they are not spayed. I really hope it's not but I think you need to get her to the vet as soon as you possibly can. Hopefully if it is a tumour it won't have spread too much and it can all be removed. I think in this case babies would be preferable (rabbits can mate through bars). :(

Wishing you lots of luck and let us know how you get on.

Back