• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Combined vaccine what my vet nurse friend just told me :/

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
I asked when the vets would be doing the com vaccine they just had it in and this was her reply

Hi hope you ok.Found out today that the new rabbit vaccine is for 'new' rabbits only,ie those for first vacc.Apparently if they've had the other vaccs before and then have the combined one,the VHD is not guarenteed to work.We thought it abit pointless but I suppose if all new bunnies have it from now,in afew years it will be better to be able to have just the one jab xx

That information isn't up to date. They originally said that they couldn't guarantee it but did further trials because so many people questioned this aspect. They have now said that rabbits vaccinated in UK, ie using the myxi vaccine we have here and not the one they have in Europe, will be fully protected with the new vaccine. I think it still says that they can't guarantee it on the data sheet that's probably just to cover themselves.

Has she got a bit mixed up? My buns have just had the combi and they're not 'new'.

Nope:? i said this
Thats strange as i know a few people whos rabbits have recently had it :-\
This was her reply
well perhaps the vet should read the leaflet :0!!!!

My vet told me that this was the case originally so they have 'increased' the VHD side of it so that all previously vaccinated rabbits are now fully protected with the new vaccine. The only ones who wont be are those that have previously had myxi and recovered, they will need a top up of the new vaccine when they first have it and then will be OK.

I have had my previously vaccinated bunnies done with the new vaccine this week and have no concerns :D

My vet told me that this was the case originally so they have 'increased' the VHD side of it so that all previously vaccinated rabbits are now fully protected with the new vaccine. The only ones who wont be are those that have previously had myxi and recovered, they will need a top up of the new vaccine when they first have it and then will be OK.

I have had my previously vaccinated bunnies done with the new vaccine this week and have no concerns :D

So are you saying that the datasheet Jane has linked to is now out of date?

No wonder everyone is confused! :?

The last information I had was that rabbit vaccinated with a vaccine for myxi that uses the real virus will have reduced effectiveness from the combined vaccine, but as pretty much every rabbit is vaccinated with a vaccine that does not contain the real virus they will be okay. :?

So are you saying that the datasheet Jane has linked to is now out of date?

No wonder everyone is confused! :?

That is what my vet was told at the World Small Animal Vet Association Congress the other week as i specifically asked about that aspect of it :?

Last edited:
They are refering to the myxi vacc used in the rest of the EU which is based on actual myxi rather than the different virus used in the uk myxi vacc. Rabbits in the UK won't have had exposure to actual myxi before unless they've contracted the disease.

They are refering to the myxi vacc used in the rest of the EU which is based on actual myxi rather than the different virus used in the uk myxi vacc. Rabbits in the UK won't have had exposure to actual myxi before unless they've contracted the disease.

Ahhh okay, so the data sheet is right but just not applicable to those of us in the UK.

My four had the combined vaccine on Friday and this is what my bunny-savvy vet said "the new combined vaccine will protect previously vaccinated bunnies (in the UK) with full protection against both myxi and VHD. However, in a bunny who has previously had either full-blown or cutaneous myxi, it is felt that they produce such a robust response to the new vaccine that it almost overwhelms the VHD element of it and produces a far less robust response against that disease". Therefore, she recommened that for Flora alone, who has had cutaneous myxi, a 'normal' VHD vaccine is given in two weeks time. She will await further research before deciding what we do next year.

My four had the combined vaccine on Friday and this is what my bunny-savvy vet said "the new combined vaccine will protect previously vaccinated bunnies (in the UK) with full protection against both myxi and VHD. However, in a bunny who has previously had either full-blown or cutaneous myxi, it is felt that they produce such a robust response to the new vaccine that it almost overwhelms the VHD element of it and produces a far less robust response against that disease". Therefore, she recommened that for Flora alone, who has had cutaneous myxi, a 'normal' VHD vaccine is given in two weeks time. She will await further research before deciding what we do next year.

This is pretty much what our vet said too :wave:

Phew...I have been reading this horrified! All of ours are due and the double vaccine seems easier stress wise on buns..no going back two weeks later! Baxter had his maxi jab before he came to us in march so would I need to have him done with just VHF?

The kitty's are all due too...credit card your help is needed!

Baxter had his maxi jab before he came to us in march so would I need to have him done with just VHF?

I'm not sure and would discuss this with your vet. But I'd imagine that he could probably have the combined vaccine, given that the 'old' myxi jab didn't actually contain any of the actual myxi virus but a similar pox virus so it's not like he'd be given a double-dose of the same vaccine. However, I'm not a vet.

That is what my vet was told at the World Small Animal Vet Association Congress the other week as i specifically asked about that aspect of it :?

I was told the exact same thing when I asked at congress, my basic understanding is that they have upped the levels in the vaccine since the first batch that was tested and they are happy that previously vaccinated or unvaccinated will be covered. She did say that in high risk VHD areas it is safe to 'top up' two weeks later as a one off but this isn't required as standard :thumb:

Prices

My bunny is 11weeks old and due to have his vaccinations next week and the vet has mentioned the new vaccine, should i use the combined or the single and does anyone who had the combined know what the prices are for the combined thank you

My bunny is 11weeks old and due to have his vaccinations next week and the vet has mentioned the new vaccine, should i use the combined or the single and does anyone who had the combined know what the prices are for the combined thank you

I'd go for the combined as it gives better protection against myxo and it only needs doing once a year. With the single ones you need to do the vhd once a year and the myxo every 6 months, so 3 in a year. This is reflected in the price of the combined vaccination, and it is more expensive than the single, but generally tends to be cheaper than having the 3 single vaccs in a year. The prices for vaccinations vary hugely with different vets and what part of the uk you are in, so I'd ask your vet what they charge.

This has already been discussed and brought up on numerous threads... they can't say the same problem will exist for uk vaccinated rabbits as the European because they've not done the research yet. The only way to test it would be to deliberately try and infect rabbits who have had both vaccines. Most UK based ones aren't the same as the ones they use in Europe though.

Back