• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice desperately needed!!

Hello

I've got 2 bunnies, Benjamin is neutured and Cottontails was spayed on Wednesday. She wasnt very well afterwards and would only take supremem recovery food in a syringe. Today she has started eating again but is still not herself and has remained in the cage, normally she would be in the house somewhere but she hasn't even tried to come out. I imagine she is still in pain but her post op check is not until Monday evening so I can not get any painkillers to her and she won't take the Zantac which the vet gave me to syringe her.

My main concern is how she is with Benjamin, he has been spending a lot of time with her in the cage, its like he knows something is wrong, and she will go over to him and groom him but if he gets up and goes towards her she runs away and hides in her den.

Whilst I was out this morning my partner said she was squeaking as Benjamin was chasing her around the cage and this only stopped when she went to her den (he is too big to fit in the den).

Is this normal behaviour? I'm just so worried as they have always got on so well and snuggled and played with each other, I hope that this is just a rough patch, perhaps the effect of the surgery as I know spaying is a lot more difficult on a rabbit.

I just want some peace of mind. I feel so sorry for Benjamin as he just wants to show her some love and instead may be feeling rejected :(

Thank you in advance.

Jo xx

Maybe she wants his company (hence the grooming) but is not feeling up to any physical activity just yet? My girl was spayed as a single before I rescued her husbun, so I don't have any experience of this I'm afraid!

Hope she feels better soon, I'm sure someone more helpful will be along soon.

Thanks, they are now thumping and Cottontails is clearly very distressed, I'm very concerned about her, wish I could make her all better. To make matters worse he won't come out of the cage so she isn't getting any peace :( :( :(

Is there any way you can separate them without splitting them up? Keep them in the same room, but shut him out of the cage maybe? That way she could get some peace but their bond wouldn't be disrupted too much?

If she is stressed about all his attention it could slow down her recovery. Distract him with a box of hay or something so she can have a rest?

Have you checked her stitches? Just have a look because my rabbit Binkys stitches came out / were chewed out by her or her sister - not sure who!

Can you shut him out of the cage for a few hours so she can rest? I imagine he can still she her/smell her etc through the bars? Just make sure he is comfortable as well.

I ended up completely seperating my girls because it was too risky with their stitches being near each other - but kept them in smelling/sight of each other and swapped bedding over etc.

I've literally just separated them. Benjamin is now downstairs with the cage and I've brought Cottontails up to our bedroom with the pet carrier, I filled that with hay and food and she can retreat there or under the bed this evening.

I cam upstairs to go to bed and they started, he was chasing her and she was squealing sounded like a guinea pig and I can't bear the thought of her being distressed, I think she has had a few traumatizing days and needs to recoup.

I know they miss each other but she is still in a delicate state. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind :(

Thank you for your advice, its greatly appreciated :)

Jo x

Aww hope you all feel better soon! If they are apart for too long you might need to take it slow when putting them back together, but in the meantime hopefully she can get some rest and get on with recovering :thumb:

There's loads of info in the behaviour and bonding section if you do need to reintroduce them gradually when she's better!

Good night :wave:

To be honest I dont think you should split them , it is very stressful for rabbits to be split from their bonded partner, and stress will affect her recovery, especially as she isnt eating. Plus, if the bond breaks you wont be able to rebond for about 2 months at least. She obviously cant be with him properly as that is stressful too right now, so I would have her in the cage and him out of it, provided neither one gets too stressed or obsessed with getting to the other - this is what I did when my pair were having problems.

Is zantac a gut stimulant, yeah? If the vet has advised you to give it you must, with her refusing to eat. It will help her gut get back to normal. Were you given metacam to take home?

I hope she starts to eat properly soon x

Squeaking or squealing is usually a sign of stress. I'd ensure she isn't in any post-op pain and keep them separate until she's fully-recovered, hopefully just a few days. I wouldn't worry too much about re-bonding them after just a short break from each other. In my experience in these circumstances they'll be happy to be reunited - once she's feeling well again and on the mend.

Hello and thank you all for your advice.

After a bumpy night, this morning we sat with Cottontails on my partners lap and I sat with Benjamin on my lap, they showed interest in each other and we were confident that they would be ok so we popped them on the floor together (not before Cottontails decided to pee on Warren, of course I found that very funny :lol:, but as that is unusual for her, I think it was because she was feeling a bit stressed). The pair of them then went into their cage and squidged themselves into her den and have spent the day snuggled and sleeping....tonight may be another story when they are active.

We did check her stitches and they look ok, in fact it looks very clean and tidy.

Jo xx

p.s I am trying to upload an album of pictures and I wanted to add a picture I took of them snuggling this morning for you all but I don't seem able to do it at the moment.

Aww I've only just seen this, I'm glad Cottontails and Benjamin are happier today :wave: Sending lots of get well vibes for her xxx

I hope you will be able to see these photos. I will upload some more shortly.

Cottontails is on the right and Benjamin is on the left.

BCT.jpg

BCT1.jpg

Aww is Cottontails the one on the right? She does look a bit worried bless her! :love:

ETA Ooops just seen that you did say which was which!! :oops: :wave:

Yes shes got the white nose. I am hoping they will be ok tonight, they are still snuggled in her den having been there all day!

She is also eating properly now and has managed to find all the dandelions and carrots I hid! She's always loved her food more so than Benjamin so she must be on the mend thankfully. I must admit I was ever so worried about her and about Benjamin as he so clearly missed her when she was at the vets. I can tell when he isn't his self.

Love my buns :) xxx

Back