• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is the myxi vaccination illegal in Australia?

http://kb.rspca.org.au/Why-cant-I-vaccinate-my-rabbit-against-Myxomatosis_260.html

Myxoma virus is now widespread across the Australian environment which places domestic rabbits at risk of infection. There are two vaccinations against myxomatosis, but these are not permitted to be used in Australia.

The government argues that this is because the vaccines are ‘live-virus’ vaccinations, meaning they contain weakened forms of the virus; either the Shope’s fibroma virus or a cell-culture derived strain. Their concern regarding these vaccines is that the weakened viruses in the vaccine could spread from domestic rabbits to the pest rabbit population, immunising them against myxomatosis. Since the myxoma virus is still used to control wild rabbit populations in Australia (albeit to a lesser extent than other methods), the vaccine has not been approved for commercial use here until further research has shown that the risk of transmission of the weakened virus between animals doesn’t occur.

Basically. It makes sense really, to them I guess.

Ah I see. Sad, but logical I suppose, if that's what they want. I was just wondering :oops:

It is sad, there's so many people who have pet bunnies die because of it, and there is nothing they can do about it :( there are lots of petitions floating about the web though, to have a vaccine introduced, I always sign them if I see one.

They don't want immunity to spread to the wildie 'pests' :( It's horrible, they could of at least come up with a disease that kills rabbits instantly and painlessly rather than the horrible death they have with myxi :(

They don't want immunity to spread to the wildie 'pests' :( It's horrible, they could of at least come up with a disease that kills rabbits instantly and painlessly rather than the horrible death they have with myxi :(

Agreed, the wildies at the secure unit where I volunteer got a bit out of control recently, then they got myxi and were virtually wiped out, it was horrible finding them :( They are building their number back up now though :thumb:

Well as an Australian I can tell you rabbits can seriously damage farmers crops, so they release the virus in certain areas to help the economy.

I wish there were a better way, but sadly so far no avail. :cry: It's very hard for me as I 100% understand both sides.

Back