• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hoe much metacam should i give? vet does not like to give it

hayley2126

Warren Scout
Hey all my Timone has gone into GS he has had his teeth checked one looked a little funny so they filed it down but still no eating or pooing. His sugar glucose levels are 9 which is high i believe as when he was 7 we were given stuff to treat him. They have felt for blockage and they did get a second opinion but they said they could not feel anything. Guy are rabbit savvy vet was not in so had to see someone else who does not know much about buns but was very nice and did listen. Unlike one the other day who was not happy that we took all 3 with us stating it was very stressful for them to travel and next time maybe we should just take the one :evil: we did try and explain about breaking a bond etc.

The question sorry: The vet did not want to give metacam as she said it could make it worse if he has liver problems however there is nothing to state that he does. So we said we would be giving him some anyway and she was fine with this however she did not say how much to give the last time his half brother had some it was 0.6 but that was for an ear infection. Does anyone no how much you would give? We have phoned vet back but she is not available at the mo as she is in surgery so could be a while.

Finally she did say to give critical care but then did not give us any we can go back and get this no problem but we do have recovery should we give him this and if so how much? He is on metoclopramide has not eaten since last night.

We lost a bun to this so a little worried :(

Thank you in advance

sorry to hear your bunny is unwell. Such a shame Guy (presume Guy Carter) was not available. Personally, I'd take your bunny back to the emergency vet and insist on some pain relief and further treatment. It would be wrong to tell you how much Metacam to use because advice from a vet is clearly needed here.

I would at least speak to the vet over the phone and let them know that you intend to give Metacam and ask them the correct dosage. It all depends on type of Metacam (gog / cat), weight of bunny and how much pain relief the vet reckons they need. A bunny can have low dosage right up to rather high, so we really couldn't say.

As for the critical care / recovery, either would be good to get into bunny, just get him to take as much as you can x

he is not drinking either should he be put on iv as they are saying he will get his fluids through the water in recovery :( i can check this i hope on my ipad at vets now means i also have to take my other who HATES travelling another 40 mins drive and 40 back

If he's really poorly he may need to be admitted and have an IV. I hope the vet can help :( Sending lots of vibes xx

Sorry your bunny is so unwell. I don't have anything to add to what others have said, but thinking of you at this worrying time. xx

Hope you're getting some help now. It's sometimes very difficult to stand your ground with vets etc as we alsways assume they know best, but some vets really don't have much up to date info on rabbits, which is really unacceptable as rabbits are such a common pet.:roll: Anyway, sending loads of vibes..

Thank you all for your support he is in over night and I have insisted on pain relief so they have given it. There keeping him in as they want to give him an iv which I'm pleased about but will be picking up tomorrow even though they wan to keep him there till Monday. If guy carter was there I would not have an issue but I know when are last one was I'll and when became back he said to take her home as the stress of being in there was just as bad.

So I'll let him stay one eve and get fluids but then the rest I can do from here so think that's best. I just phoned and even though he had not eaten since yest they still had not fed him :censored: :censored: so phoning again in half hour to check they have done it.

I'm so cross at the mo as we all no how quickly their gut shuts down and they said they would feed him straight away that was 3.5 hrs ago!

Again thank you all so much means a lot please send our little man vibes and any advise is always more than welcome xxxx

Loads of vibes for your little man.

I really hope they get their act together and get some food into him, unless they suspect a blockage?

Hello
I hope your bun gets well very soon. Such a worry isn't it. I am in a similar situation myself, so know how you are feeling xxx
Hugs to you and vibes for your bun xxx

I've only just read this :( how is he today? Have you brought him home? Sending tons of vibes, I hope he picks up very soon xx

Back