• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy - off day/ UD Baytril & Fibreplex

Bink

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I haven't posted for a while, but knew that you would be the best to speak to about this:

Due to oversleeping, I didn't get outside to my four bunnies (2 x seperate pairs) today until 11.30 (I usually get to them between 7.30/8am for cleaning out and replenishing of water bottles & bowls, fresh hay etc). So felt like a bad bunny mummy in that respect.

Started cleaning out and noticed that Poppy, my 1 yr old lionhead was huddled up under a plastic stool in her house. I decided that this was okay as the weather is so miserable. I went about cleaning out and she has definitely been pooping overnight (her poos are dramatically different in size compared to her husbun Sid's). Poops looked healthy and normal for her. When I replenished the hay, Sid came running and ploughed in but Poppy showed no interest at all. I offered her some herbs and grass and she turned her nose up at this also. In fact, she scrapped up the blanket I had offered the food on and plonked herself in a basket in a different part of her house. She did a little bit of washing, which I take to be a good thing. But she then sat down and didn't move while I carried on the clean out (Sid hopping around, generally interfering with what I was doing as normal!). I decided I would watch and wait, as even in better weather she sits in a basket on top of the hutch during the afternoons.

I went and got on with some work for an hour or so, and have come back to find her in the same spot. Offered food again, rejected, gave head rubs, checked eyes, ears and bottom, all as they should be. Went away for another hour, came back and she's still snoozing in her basket. I am having trouble deciding if I am being paranoid (she does spend a lot of time doing this when the weather is better on top of her hutch where she can keep an eye on things, it's just usually Sid is doing it with her but today he is active as anything). My Mum thinks she gets down in the dumps when the weather is rubbish as she doesn't want to go out. I am inclined to think this too, as last week when the rainy spell just started she did the same thing.

There have been no changes to diet or environment, her relationship with Sid is unchanged as far as I can see, there are no new family members rabbit or otherwise, she is up to date with both myxo and VHD vaccs (Feb & March 12), there is nothing unusual to see in her appearance.

They usually get a serving of fresh vegetables around 4:30/5:00 which I will give as normal and monitor to see what happens, but I feel like I am getting into dangerous statis territory if I leave it longer than that (she has no history of this).

Just wondering what your thoughts were really - do you think she is having an off day? All my rabbits are superb at showing annoyance (Aren't they all?) so part of me wonders if she is cross about the weather and me being late out to them, but part of me will also never forgive myself if she is poorly. I have the vets number on hand with out of hours instructions.

Thanks guys,

Steph

Last edited:
Further to this, I have just been looking through my inbox which jogged my memory that when she was spayed (just under a year ago) it took her absolutely ages to get eating and pooping again (16 hours, totally on edge the entire time), though I was with a different vet at the time who hadn't given her sufficient pain relief.

I would say if ya bunny has been sat in same place all morning and not eaten I would go to the vets and get him/her checked out better to be safe than sorry and tomorrow is Sunday don't be worrying all day I would just ring my vet and take him/her down there :)

I would get her to a vet ASAP.

Lola's had a few incidences where she's not eaten so I've tried feeding her her favourites and kept her moving about (helps the guts) and after about an hour she eats something. Yesterday she was avoiding moving as much as possible and after 2 hours still wouldn't eat anything so she went to the vets. Stasis can make them go downhill so quickly that I wouldn't want to risk any longer.

I have spoken to the emergency vet who has said to try and give their veggies at dinner time as I would usually and if no interest then bring her in - which I will do. Am starting to think that I'm not just being paranoid. She is totally and utterly not her usual self. Will let you know how we go on. Thanks for your replies.

Hi I wouldn't wait to be honest if ya bunny hasn't eaten all day I would take him/her in to the vets now I hope she gets better soon :love:

Hey all... what an afternoon....

Poppy got worse as the afternoon progressed, just flopping, not moving at all, not eating, not drinking, no poops.

Got a taxi to the emergency vets, nowhere I'd ever been before, who were amazing to be honest. I was asked to give a history of Poppy's problem and the vet asked loads of in depth questions. Thorough examination etc.

Basically, and bear with me because I'm exhausted, her molars are sharp and there was a little bleeding around them when he looked in her mouth, though he wasn't sure whether that was the struggle he had getting the probe in. She had some discharge from her nose and a little from her eyes. All these things were noted at her vaccinations in March, but we were just told to keep an eye on it. Poppy's eyes had seemed better of late and I hadn't noticed anything around her nose, but when the vet gave it a good prod there was quite a lot of discharge today.

He felt her abdomen which was nice and soft apparently, and her temperature was unremarkable.

She has been given sub cut fluids, gut stimulant, pain relief, anti inflammatory and antibiotics (I did listen to the names, which sounded familiar, but I can't remember them for the life of me now). I have been given Baytril to admister as well as Fibreplex. While in the waiting room hanging about for the taxi, I heard a chewing sound, assumed it was Sid, but when I looked it was Poppy :p Since being home she has eaten some carrot, a little spring greens but has made a beeline for the hay, which has made my day.

In addition to the Baytril and Fibreplex I am to monitor her closely. If she goes downhill again tomorrow she should go back for an x-ray to check for gas/blockages, but the vet said this is unlikely because of how soft her abdomen was. Other than that, it is a trip to the usual vets on Monday to organise a dental.

Thank you for your replies, and if you could spare some vibes for my little one it would be much appreciated xx

Hey all... what an afternoon....

Poppy got worse as the afternoon progressed, just flopping, not moving at all, not eating, not drinking, no poops.

Got a taxi to the emergency vets, nowhere I'd ever been before, who were amazing to be honest. I was asked to give a history of Poppy's problem and the vet asked loads of in depth questions. Thorough examination etc.

Basically, and bear with me because I'm exhausted, her molars are sharp and there was a little bleeding around them when he looked in her mouth, though he wasn't sure whether that was the struggle he had getting the probe in. She had some discharge from her nose and a little from her eyes. All these things were noted at her vaccinations in March, but we were just told to keep an eye on it. Poppy's eyes had seemed better of late and I hadn't noticed anything around her nose, but when the vet gave it a good prod there was quite a lot of discharge today.

He felt her abdomen which was nice and soft apparently, and her temperature was unremarkable.

She has been given sub cut fluids, gut stimulant, pain relief, anti inflammatory and antibiotics (I did listen to the names, which sounded familiar, but I can't remember them for the life of me now). I have been given Baytril to admister as well as Fibreplex. While in the waiting room hanging about for the taxi, I heard a chewing sound, assumed it was Sid, but when I looked it was Poppy :p Since being home she has eaten some carrot, a little spring greens but has made a beeline for the hay, which has made my day.

In addition to the Baytril and Fibreplex I am to monitor her closely. If she goes downhill again tomorrow she should go back for an x-ray to check for gas/blockages, but the vet said this is unlikely because of how soft her abdomen was. Other than that, it is a trip to the usual vets on Monday to organise a dental.

Thank you for your replies, and if you could spare some vibes for my little one it would be much appreciated xx

Awww I'm glad she's doing better, lots of vibes for a continued recovery!! :)

Thanks Georgi, it's been quite a worry, the first bunny worry of this nature in two years of ownership!

Morning all!

Just to let you know, Poppy has eaten some carrot from me this morning, the hay pile has diminished significantly and she is much brighter, more like her normal self (except for this weather!!). I am about to do the clean out and search for poops. There are lots around, but I think they are Sid's.

Thanks all,

Steph

Also, been looking at ideas on how to administer the Baytril & Fibreplex without stressing her out. I've heard that Fibreplex is yummeh so that shouldn't be a prob, but dunno what to do about the Baytril. Can you really pop it onto veg successfully? Could I put some on a piece of carrot? That's what she seems to want to eat atm. She is quite small (1.74kg) so I could bunny burrito her, but I'd prefer not to if I can avoid this.

Carrot

I used to put it between 2 basil leaves and roll it up , I'm so glad poppy is lots better today :love:
I wouldn't give her too much carrot there's lots of sugar in it:D

Last edited:
I used to put it between 2 basil leaves and roll it up , I'm so glad poppy is lots better today :love:
I wouldn't give her too much carrot there's lots of sugar in it:D

Okay Wendle, thanks, will try the basil leaves as she normally likes those.

Well, I absolutely sucked at that. :roll:

Started with the Fibreplex, an initial interested lick but then nothing, so I tried it on a basil leaf - nope. Decided to go traditional and wrapped her up. Poppy is a very fluffy lionhead, I had no idea how difficult it would be to keep her wrapped up and find her mouth through her fuzz while standing behind her!! I got some in, but not all. The dreaded Baytril, I managed maybe 0.2 of the 0.4, and to be honest she probably got most of that from licking her lips afterwards :oops:

Am going to do Fibreplex again at lunchtime, but going to make less of a "big deal" out of it. Won't try Baytril again until dinner time.

Have just been watching her eat hay. There have been poops overnight though I haven't seen a vast quantity in the past few hours.

Have been monitoring Poppy on an hour by hour basis, and each time checking on her she has eaten something at some point, be it hay, grass or greens. Really happy about this. My boyfriend helped me with this round of Fibreplex and Baytril and it was much easier, she had the correct dose of each this time.

Going to take her to our usual vets tomorrow to talk about dentals and the events over the weekend xx

:thumb:That's great news hope she keeps improving sending loads a little nose rubs and get well vibes for poppy:love:

Seeming well again this morning. Was a little worried when I first went to see her and she seemed quite still and hunched up, but is eating grass and hay and exploring now that the sun is out (hooray!) I work from home so will monitor her throughout the day. We are seeing the vet at 5.10 but will go sooner if worried. Going to post some pics of her soon because I love her and this has scared the life out of me the past few days!!

Back