• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered male rabbit repeatedly mounting newly bonded partner...when will it stop?!

k1984

Mama Doe
Hi
Just needing a little advice really. In the last 2 weeks we have finally managed to bond our neutered netherland boy with a female rabbit (this has been a miracle due to 2 other failed bondings due to him wanting to fight all the time!).
There has been no fighting, and the two seem very happy together - sleeping together, eating together etc. They have been together for just over 2 weeks. However, the only behaviour that does seem to be happening frequently is him mounting her. I know this is part of establishing who's boss...but when will it stop? Or will it ever stop? I just feel sorry for her as it can't be pleasant having him jumping on her so much!

Advice would be appreciated. I would split them up, but other than the mounting, they both seem very happy with each other! I just don't want her getting poorly with stress or anything from him pestering her!

Thanks

Is your female also spayed ? My male has been doing this for over 3 weeks now it has been mainly at dusk and dawn but it's getting better now not as much both my male and female are spayed and neutered I think it's the time of year but if your female isn't spayed I guess it might be worse for her but I'm not 100% sure someone with a lot more knowledge will probably answer you , my female has been able to get away from him when they are in their house they have like 15ftx5ftx5ft and I added quite a few hidey places for her to get like some extra step stools and tunnels etc but I'm pleased to say its not as bad now as it was 3 weeks ago :)

He's simply letting his woman know that he really likes her!

Joey and BB have been bonded for 7 years, but Joey still tries to bonk the living daylights out of BB - who is totally uninterested and not at all bothered (although its funny to watch as she's 6 times the size of him:lol:)

When I have newly bonded bunnies I put little childrens stools in their enclosures - I remember Strawberry used to sit under hers quite a lot to get away from Rogers early amorous activity:D

Back