• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues & all. Should I home a bunny who has been in a rescue long term ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
So hard when you decide to get another bunny. There are so many in need. It is all to easy to go for the cute bunnies, the friendly bunnies etc. I am thinking of a bunny who has been in a rescue long term.

What do you think ? Any advice :wave:

Lovely thought :) I would say let Cutie-Pie choose her own friend, but you lose nothing at all by looking at those who have been in there for so long, first.

I've always tried to rehome "hard to place animals" just because I hate to think of them in rescue for so long. Scarlet and Boo had been at RSPCA for almost a year and I also had a rat that was a cruelty case and allegedly really viscious (she was just scared).
I picked Ori out because I know REWs are hard to home.
I think if I can take an animal that others are unlikely to want then it's a doubly good thing.

Lovely thought :) I would say let Cutie-Pie choose her own friend, but you lose nothing at all by looking at those who have been in there for so long, first.

Thanks. I feel so bad for Cutie-pie, I know she is all alone and lonely. Mr Bennett could not be happier. He loves being a bachelor. Told James today there is no point trying to bond them again, it was never great anyway. He said wait until I get home before we make a decision. I have. :oops::lol: A friend for Cutie-pie.

I see bunnies that have not been rehomed for a year or 2 but most of them are far away. I want them. But as you say, it is Cutie-pies decision. Hope she doesn't reject another boy. ;)

I've always tried to rehome "hard to place animals" just because I hate to think of them in rescue for so long. Scarlet and Boo had been at RSPCA for almost a year and I also had a rat that was a cruelty case and allegedly really viscious (she was just scared).
I picked Ori out because I know REWs are hard to home.
I think if I can take an animal that others are unlikely to want then it's a doubly good thing.

That is wonderful.

I saw a REW on a link here who has been in a rescue since 2010. I know nothing about REWs. I am ashamed I don't even know what a REW is. I simply see a rabbit as a rabbit.

REW= Red eyed white bun :) (that's what hours of trawling rabbit related websites gets me!

When I went to the rescue for my second bun I was able to take Ruby with me and they had suggestions of which bunnies might suit her personality. Teddy and Ruby don't look so great together (they like chalk and cheese!) but they work well together. By the way, my Ruby looks just like on of your rabbits! What colour do you call it? I think the colour's almost like a siamese cat!

S x

REW= Red eyed white bun :) (that's what hours of trawling rabbit related websites gets me!

When I went to the rescue for my second bun I was able to take Ruby with me and they had suggestions of which bunnies might suit her personality. Teddy and Ruby don't look so great together (they like chalk and cheese!) but they work well together. By the way, my Ruby looks just like on of your rabbits! What colour do you call it? I think the colour's almost like a siamese cat!

S x

Thanks. Yes Ruby looks like Cutie-pie our girl. Her colour changes with each moult, but they like a siamese cat.

Yes Ruby changes colour all the time- when she was a kit she was white with a brown nose and ears! I was at the vets the other day and they said 'and what colour is she?' I was like ummmmm…!
x

So hard when you decide to get another bunny. There are so many in need. It is all to easy to go for the cute bunnies, the friendly bunnies etc. I am thinking of a bunny who has been in a rescue long term.

What do you think ? Any advice :wave:

ABSOLUTELEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that its great to re-home a bunny.

God bless the rescues and those like you who think of re-homing long termers.

Do it !!!:thumb:

Yes Ruby changes colour all the time- when she was a kit she was white with a brown nose and ears! I was at the vets the other day and they said 'and what colour is she?' I was like ummmmm…!
x

:lol::lol: Then I bet you get the fur floating all around the the house and wonder where it all comes from.

ABSOLUTELEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that its great to re-home a bunny.

God bless the rescues and those like you who think of re-homing long termers.

Do it !!!:thumb:

Thanks. My first two, brother and sister didn't have a home for 6 months. I have them for 7 and 8 and half years. Sadly the brother passed away first.

I see bunnies that have not been rehomed for a year or 2 but most of them are far away. I want them. But as you say, it is Cutie-pies decision. Hope she doesn't reject another boy. ;)

I think you should do what's right for you and Cutie-pie.

If you can adopt a bunny that's been in rescue long-term, that's great and a very admirable thing to do. :love: If those bunnies are a little too far away & there are reasons why you'd rather go to a rescue closer to home though, then I also don't think there's anything wrong with adopting a bunny that might easily find a home elsewhere - they all need homes. :D:D

Any bunny will have a great home with you. And I'll have to make you a new signature as well. ;)

By the way the colouring is called 'pointed'. You can have things like teal pointed, chocolate pointed etc. I think....

Any bunny will have a great home with you. And I'll have to make you a new signature as well. ;)

By the way the colouring is called 'pointed'. You can have things like teal pointed, chocolate pointed etc. I think....

:wave: When I first got her, she was definitely 'pointed' (that photo is of her when she was still a baby) but now the rest of her body is shaded with brown (but not as dark as her points), so there are no definite points??
x

Hi :wave:we are also desperate to rescue a girl bun for our boy bun. He needs to be neutered first though. Im wondering how long will we have to wait after neutering him to rescue a girl to bond him with? :wave: Thanks! So excited about giving a bunny in need a loving home :love:

Hi :wave:we are also desperate to rescue a girl bun for our boy bun. He needs to be neutered first though. Im wondering how long will we have to wait after neutering him to rescue a girl to bond him with? :wave: Thanks! So excited about giving a bunny in need a loving home :love:

Generally about four to six weeks for the hormones to die down and for everything to heal up nicely. :wave:

I adopted Peggy and Sue who had been at BARC for some time but didn't have them for that long before they both went to the Bridge, so my next couple of buns have been young buns, but one, Bumble, is a special needs bun (almost blind).

I would offer to bond for you (so totally neutral space) but I see your bun can't travel, but if you want me to come over for a day to help when you are bonding I am happy to do that.

I adopted Peggy and Sue who had been at BARC for some time but didn't have them for that long before they both went to the Bridge, so my next couple of buns have been young buns, but one, Bumble, is a special needs bun (almost blind).

I would offer to bond for you (so totally neutral space) but I see your bun can't travel, but if you want me to come over for a day to help when you are bonding I am happy to do that.

That is sad about Peggy and Sue. I got Cutie-pie at 5. I think Nancy was 3 and Sunshine I was told was 3 or 4 years old. The previous owners couldn't remember.:roll: Mr Bennett is the youngest bun I have had in years. He is about 2 years 3 months old now.

With our finances the only bunny I can't home is one with teeth or health problems.

Back