• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my female bun is pulling fur out and making a nest eek!

Ok my buns are over 2 yrs old, vet sexed them as females they are sisters and we love them vmuch, had them since they were 6-8weeks.
They live tog v happily, the black one 'Snuggle' is larger and was born blind in one eye, vet said she has no health issues. The smaller beige one is small and has always been more active. She also opens the doors on the run and nudges her blind sister in the right direction wherever they are.
So this morning went out to find a load of fur under snuggle and her with a mouthful and then watcched her pull more out from all over and collect it up and take it into the bedroom part. Is this maybe a hormonal phantom pregnancy or is this actually a clear sign she is about to give birth?
She has never done this before they have been tog since birth, any advice would be much appreciated, the kids are all watching her wondering what is going on!
Thanks in advance for any help

ok thankyou for speedy reply, I did speak to the vet last year about getting them spayed but they said there was no need as they were not fighting, they never mentioned infections/cancer ;-(
oh crikey they are such a worry, I think I worry/think about them more than the kids. My husband told me I clean the hutch and bedding out more than I change our bed, I did remind him we dont go to the toilet in our areas ...yet! I do change our bed weekly honest its just he has bunny envy!! I prefer to spend time with them first thing b4 work and after wrk and not him :D

Jacks-Jane I just wanted to say thankyou v much for your advice. My 2 buns have been booked in for next wed for spaying. St Davids a lovely vets in Cardiff recommended to me by a bun owner.
I have seperated them for last 2 days, just because I was worried one of them was being stressed out by the other. Also I wanted to get them used to separation for after the op. I hope that was the right thing to do, Pebble the smaller one had been holding Snuggle down and being dominant, she had made a nasty cut/nip mark on her back where she grabbed onto the same place all the time ;-( So separated and I must say v happy, they took it in turns to go into the run today, its pretty big and as it wasnt raining it was lovely to hear them playing with toys! I was gardening and whilst one was in run the other was running around helping me garden, then collapsing in a heap under the blackcurrant bush. Pebble 'helped' by digging in the soil flipping over and laying down, they were very funny! Think they were fed up of all this rain too. I have been letting them out even when its been raining to stretch and run about, I put a big bit of old wipe clean table cloth down in part of the run and their fleece blanket and they lay on that to dry out/rest.

Thanks again, I am learning about keeping buns, this site is fab, will be looking for aftercare advice, I am soo worried about them going in for their op already ;-(

Last edited:
Wishing them both loads of luck for the spays. When they're all healed up you can reintroduce them but it has to be done carefully. There's lots of information on how to do it on here for example doing it in a neutral place. I hope everything goes smoothly for them. :wave:

my beautiful girls are at the vets! Been speyed today, droppped them off this morning, I felt so sad leaving them. But the lovely nurse said they wont know a thing about it and for me to call this afternoon, collect at 4. I cant wait to get them back!

I know the nurse goes thru the aftercare when I collect them but I also know you guys have all the info needed, so what do I need to do!
I have as I mentioned before separated them, I am keeping them separated, then once they are over this op I will introduce them slowly and follow advice on here. My half blind blind bunny is defo miserable since they been separated, shes a bit lost, we spent ages coaxing her and cuddling her, she wouldnt relax, kept 'looking' for her sister who always nudged her in the right direction..awww they lived happily up until i separated them so I am hoping after this op they will again once introduced, I miss seeing them grooming and cuddling together. At the weekend they licked and sniffed through the run that was separating them.

Anyhow for the time being I have to figure out how to nurse them when I pick them up tonight, is there anything I need to get for them? I have a snugglepad, for when they were tog, but can go get another, they have their bunny blankets too. I also have an indoor hutch and am thinking they should be indoors tonight/next few nights till feeling better, I cant have both of them in that though.
Any help and advice would be much appreciated!
thanks again

Millions of Vibes for your two :)

Fingers crossed they heal up quick and can get back together soon x

Last edited:
That is good news :)

Moved this to here in case you missed it as I added to the last thread........

I would keep them inside tonight on some soft blankets, keeps them nice and warm and lets you monitor them. Get their favourite foods to tempt them to eat. Make sure the vet gives them some Metacam or similar pain relief.

ok i will thanks for that, just not sure if a large box is ok for one of them ,,I am trying to see if I can borrow another indoor cage of someone.

Doughnut was spayed last year, was so stressed.

She was given a weeks worth of metacam and also fibreplex so was painfree, also I think she had antibotics too. Stressed over giving it to her as it was twice a day for the metacam and she didn't like it and can't do the syringing. Put it on a bit of weetabix and she ate it! She liked the fibreplex taste, only discovered that later on though as could have disguised the metacam or baytril in it.

She's indoors and didn't eat for about 24 hours and then started eating all of a sudden. She wouldn't touch her pellets but most rabbits seem to like to eat herbs when they're recovering, also lots of hay to be made available. She returned to her pellets a few days later.

She drunk out of a bottle but I also put a bowl of water nearby so she could use that, but didn't, but I know it's easier for them.

When she got home before I could put her in her hutch for rest she had jumped on a ledge, nearly had a heart attack. Best to keep them enclosed so no jumping around.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

Please ensure she comes home with enough pain relief (likely metacam) for 3-5 days minimum, as having all that removed is rather painful for a bunny :wave:

Well done for having them spayed :)

Everyone's given you great advice.
You don't want them sitting on hay in case it pokes their wounds so towels or fleeces are idea. Get all their favourite foods and fresh herbs like parsley seem to go down well. The might not feel like eating for a few hours after they're home but if they don't eat by late evening/tomorrow you need to get them back to the vets. Make sure they have pain relief. They usually get an injection at the vets but make sure they give you some to take home too.

FAB thankyou all so much! I have lined the hutch with blankets, I was about to put a little of their own bedding in so it smelt of home but I wont do that now. I will get parsely on way to vets and once there I will get some pain killers for them, I asked on phone and they said the price included pain relief as they give it during op, but thats not for after, surely I can just buy it? I will defo ask for it, thankyou.

Got indoor hutch sorted,water,food, gonna buy parsley and make sure I get pain relief for them!
I am sure I will be back later to ask more, I think there will be no sleep tonight I am so worried about them already , cant wait to have them home for cuddles, is it ok to cuddle them or shall we just let them lay in hutch on blankets and stroke them? I have bunnie fleeced they usually lay on on our laps. Will put them in hutch as they smell of them ;-)
thanks again!!!

Doughnut had an injection of pain relief which lasted a day, so had to administer metacam the following morning and evening. Also antibiotics and fibreplex. You should be sent home with some, if not insist on some. As you know they won't eat if they're in pain and it's just plain cruel not to give them any. You wouldn't have a major op and not have pain relief.

I'm not getting at you btw, just annoyed with the vets if they are thinking it's OK not to give them any!!

I would try and restrict their movement for a while. Maybe stroke them if they are laying in the hutch. You don't want them jumping on your lap due to the stitches.

aw, well done for getting them spayed. you sound like a great owner and obsessed like the rest of us! :thumb::lol: x

Back