• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molar spurs forming - help!

Pipkin01

Warren Scout
I apologise for not posting here for ages, been so busy!
Took Pipkin to the vets today for his Myxi and he was being very well behaved and let the vet check his teeth! His front teeth are fine however the vet said he is starting to form spurs on his back teeth :( He says no ulcerated sections yet however it needs keeping an eye on.
Pipkin is a nethie x (I think) so has a bit of a flat face which I know contributes to teeth problems.
Just wondering if anyone has tips to help wear these spurs down? I don't want to GA him unless totally necessary .
He currently eats bucketfuls of Oxbow orchard grass, small amout of Excel pellets in the morning and leafy greens (spring greens) and herbs in the evening. Would a different hay mixed in with his orchard grass wear his teeth down better as I know the orchard grass is quite a soft hay?

Thank you in advance, I'm already panicking!

I apologise for not posting here for ages, been so busy!
Took Pipkin to the vets today for his Myxi and he was being very well behaved and let the vet check his teeth! His front teeth are fine however the vet said he is starting to form spurs on his back teeth :( He says no ulcerated sections yet however it needs keeping an eye on.
Pipkin is a nethie x (I think) so has a bit of a flat face which I know contributes to teeth problems.
Just wondering if anyone has tips to help wear these spurs down? I don't want to GA him unless totally necessary .
He currently eats bucketfuls of Oxbow orchard grass, small amout of Excel pellets in the morning and leafy greens (spring greens) and herbs in the evening. Would a different hay mixed in with his orchard grass wear his teeth down better as I know the orchard grass is quite a soft hay?

Thank you in advance, I'm already panicking!

Hiya, I don't know what to suggest but I'll listen in on this because my poor Pebbles has small spurs developing on the back of hsi teeth too :( Vet noticed about 3 months ago but no problems since... fingers crossed!

I'm not a vet but have sadly alot of experience with molar spurs. I'm not convinced diet,as in hay etc is relevant as spurs tend to form on the side of teeth. Basically they sprout from the side of teeth hence the all too common damage to tongue if not spotted quickly. My understanding is that they form when teeth are misaligned and thus are usually a hereditary thing; often inbreeding is blamed. Whatever the cause they're common, stressful for all concerned, painful for bun and costly. They can be treated though, but only as in GA's alas.

It takes only one to form to totally affect the allignment of the mouth and thus more may consequently form. Milly was down to less than a week before we had a referral and now her teeth are all ground down quite far which thus slows the time molars take to eropt and make a real difference to eating. We're on every 8/9 weeks now between treatments. Alas bunnies with teeth problems tend not to be overly keen on harder hays-understandable really.

I am no expert but I'd think a head x ray may be useful so you can see exactly where the teeth are and how many are malalligned and thus likely to cause problems. As soon as bunny stops eating or makes noise with their mouth-(I think it's like people with false teeth moving their teeth around), you need to get to the vets asap. Whilst vets use tools to look into bunny mouths in my experience they often say nothing's wrong when there is. These tools are of limited use-symptoms are as ever key.

Back