• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Babies...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
We have four does in one pen and a buck in another beside them. We had the buck in with the does for a little while to breed them and then took them out right before all four does had babies. There is no way that the buck could get back in with the does. This morning I went out and fed them and there were two new litters of babies. The older litters are nearly a month old. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Thanks!

How can you be 100% certain a buck didn't get to her?

If they mated repeatedly the litters could be varying ages.

He's in a seperate cage and I checked the walls and there were no breaks. Can rabbits postpone pregacies? It's been a month since their last litters and month and a half (roughly) since they've been with a buck.

He's in a seperate cage and I checked the walls and there were no breaks. Can rabbits postpone pregacies? It's been a month since their last litters and month and a half (roughly) since they've been with a buck.

If you chose to breed, you should have known all this beforehand. How many litters do you have??? :?

Will the babies be vaccinated and desexed before you vet their new homes?

If you chose to breed, you should have known all this beforehand. How many litters do you have??? :?

Will the babies be vaccinated and desexed before you vet their new homes?

We had one litter in Feb. Then four in late March now these two. And no they won't be vaccinated. They're meat rabbits. I've read a lot of stuff about breeding rabbits but have never heard of anything like this before.

We had one litter in Feb. Then four in late March now these two. And no they won't be vaccinated. They're meat rabbits. I've read a lot of stuff about breeding rabbits but have never heard of anything like this before.

We are rabbit lovers here...Why would you come onto a PET rabbit forum to discuss meat rabbits? This is more appropriate for a farming forum because I guarantee you're going to get very emotive responses here, and it isn't fair to us.

And no, I have no issues with people eating rabbit but this isn't the place to discuss it!

This is the only forum I've found that seems to have people who know what's going on. I'm asking a rabbit question, what does it matter what hte rabbits are being used for? Why can't you just answer my question?

By the way, I do have a pet rabbit, his name is Sabra

To answer your question

The most likely is that the Buck did get access to the Does when they kindled their first litter. BUT Does have two uterine horns and they can have a full litter in each one, essentially a 'double pregnancy' It is very unusual for kindling of the second litter to be 4 weeks later, but on rare occasions it can happen. If the two Does who have gone on to have a second litter are related it could be a rare genetic disposition to the 'double pregnancy' phenomenon. But as previously stated, it is much more likely that the Buck got access to the Does when they had kindled their first litter. An entire Buck can be very resourceful when in close proximity to very fertile Does.

To answer your question

The most likely is that the Buck did get access to the Does when they kindled their first litter. BUT Does have two uterine horns and they can have a full litter in each one, essentially a 'double pregnancy' It is very unusual for kindling of the second litter to be 4 weeks later, but on rare occasions it can happen. If the two Does who have gone on to have a second litter are related it could be a rare genetic disposition to the 'double pregnancy' phenomenon. But as previously stated, it is much more likely that the Buck got access to the Does when they had kindled their first litter. An entire Buck can be very resourceful when in close proximity to very fertile Does.

Thank you very much for the answer. I'll check the wires again, but I don't think he got in. Are those pictures at the bottom of your post your bunnies? They are very pretty! What breed are they?

Can we keep the replies polite please guys; if you have nothing constructive to add then please don't post. :wave:

I have heard of bucks mating with does through wire mesh if there's only one layer.

It matters what you do with the rabbits because many people here will find what you do emotionally distressing given they dedicate their lives to improving the lives of rabbits.
As with any animal a responsible person would have done their research before breeding and been aware of these issues before they arose. By not researching thoroughly you put your animals at greater risk.

Just because my rabbits are meat rabbits does not mean they don't have good lives. They have big pens they live in and I try to take them outside to the run once a week.

And like I said, I read a lot of stuff on rabbits and rabbit breeding before we even got the does. I take perfect care of the rabbits, they're happy and healthy. Do NOT talk down to me.

It doesn't matter what the rabbits are for because on this forum we should be helping anyone improve the lives of their rabbits. You all know we're the best rabbit forum for helping people so we shouldn't discriminate. People do eat rabbits. :wave:

no we shouldn't be rude but we are on here to discuss our pets i don't want to here about people breeding defenceless animals to eat:cry:

Back