• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping rabbits?

Disney

Alpha Buck
Is this the norm in the UK? I've never heard of a chipped bun in Aus. Buns from rescue are desexed and vacced for the calci virus (the myxo one is illegal here) but never seen a bun advertised as chipped.

I wouldn't say its as normal as chipping dogs and cats, no where near. I've never had a chipped rabbit, and its not something my vet has ever mentioned.

I'm just curious how you would chip a rabbit like a nethie..My vet recommended we wait to chip our Chihuahua until she was bigger (2.5 kg) and nethies are much smaller than that..

2 of mine are chipped but not sure of the benefit of it, rabbits would not automatically be checked for chips if they were found

2 of mine are chipped but not sure of the benefit of it, rabbits would not automatically be checked for chips if they were found

True, but sometimes they are checked. My vet's own bunnies escaped from his garden and he got a phone call from another vet practice to say they had them (as they were microchipped). He was most embarassed :oops: and relieved! :D

I'm chipping mine when my girl goes in for her spay in may. Mine are always supervised
When they're out but you can never be too careful, I think!

Our rabbits are both chipped. Pets get stolen as well as lost sadly and I think you have a better chance of getting them back either way if they are chipped.

I think it's more common in giant breeds, as occasionally they are stolen :( Digby was already microchipped when I rescued him :wave:

I am thinking of chipping mine, they are giant breeds. I think if a giant breed does escape they won't be mistaken for wild rabbits cos of their size and that makes them more likely to be caught.

I heard that microchipping can give a rabbit statica? Is that back trouble? I thought the chip goes into the fat nowhere near bones.

Both of mine are chipped, there were a spate of thefts from near where I live so it seemed a worthwhile precaution!

Alfie is chipped but only because he was done at the rehoming centre where we got him from. I think its a good idea tbh, I suppose they may not think of checking for chips but at least if they do you have a chance of getting them back.

Both of mine are chipped....I had the option when I had Roxy neutered so did that, and I asked for Rory to be done when he had his VHD vaccs.

Mine aren't chipped. They are indoors, upstairs and only go outside once or twice a year if that into our fully enclosed concrete garden. I don't ever take my eyes off them when they're out.
If they lived outside though, or even went out more (Charlie doesn't like it), they would be chipped

3/4 of mine are chipped. My first vet suggested it with George and Fifi and we did it without thinking about it. Sid got chipped at the rescue. We haven't done Poppy yet but we plan to. Somehow it does give me peace of mind. Over time you see stories pop up on here about "stray" bunnies being found, and I hope that if mine ever got out somehow and got picked up, someone would check to see if they were chipped.

Back