• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

Claire_r

Warren Scout
Please help! Our little bunnies will not go in there litter tray at all and feel the need to do it on the bottom tier of there cage.
We have tried moving their poop and cleaning all the cage and leaving a bit of already weed on newspaper in the tray but nothing is working.
Any suggeions?? :)

When you clean their wee, use white vinegar as that completely eradicates the smell and stops them wanting to use the same spot.

I found that putting hay in the litter tray to eat helps a lot. Rabbits usually poo and eat at the same time, so they will hop in the tray to eat and then use it for their business. And they will get used to it then as well.

Also, just keep putting them in their tray every 10 minutes or so, just to remind them where it is etc. It take a while but it's worth it!

Are your rabbits spayed/neutered? As that makes a big difference in litter training, as they might be marking territory etc.

Buns like to poop where they eat, so if you only put their hay in their littertray (and obviously change it often) that should help. Neutering also helps with litter training, so if they aren't neutered thats something to consider.
Having said that, some bunnies are just better than others. My old girl was pristine clean and went to the toilet in the same place everytime. My boys aren't so good though, we're still trying...

When you clean their wee, use white vinegar as that completely eradicates the smell and stops them wanting to use the same spot.

I found that putting hay in the litter tray to eat helps a lot. Rabbits usually poo and eat at the same time, so they will hop in the tray to eat and then use it for their business. And they will get used to it then as well.

Also, just keep putting them in their tray every 10 minutes or so, just to remind them where it is etc. It take a while but it's worth it!

Are your rabbits spayed/neutered? As that makes a big difference in litter training, as they might be marking territory etc.

Oh I will give the white vinegar a try I think. I try put hay in but they just sit on the outside of the tray and just eat the hay :)

The boy is neutered but the little girl isn't spayed yet but will be getting done in a few weeks.

Thank you :D

The advise with litter training is usually to start by putting the litter tray in the place they like to go- is there any reason you can't do this? Some times bunnies just don't like their cage arranged the way we humans want it.

Back