• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please Snowy wont eat hay.

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, I am worried about my Snowy he has totally off hay altogether now, he has never been keen on hay since day 1 but now he would rather eat grass out of the garden or dried leaves, I dont know what else to feed him to make up for the hay. Can anyone advise please.

Grass is fine, it's just as good but you need to look at why he's not eating it. I think it's worth taking him to the vet to have his teeth checked as going off hay is usually a strong indicator of teeth issues.

Have you tried him on lots of different types of hay? I'm lucky, my 3 just eat anything, but some buns are fussy. Places like Hay4pets do sample packs of different types of hay you can try to see if there is one they prefur to the others.

Have you tried him on lots of different types of hay? I'm lucky, my 3 just eat anything, but some buns are fussy. Places like Hay4pets do sample packs of different types of hay you can try to see if there is one they prefur to the others.

Hi, I have tried him on all the hay there is unless i have missed one, hes tried all the hay you can get in pets at home, can anyone think of a different type of hay.

I buy meadow hay from the hay experts and the buns go crazy for it, but I agree with teh above post that it could be a sign of a tooth problem so it might be best to get the teeth checked by a rabbit savvy vet

i agree with other posters, that could be sign of dental issues, best to get it checked out and be sure of what is going on. also if you have tried all the other hays and he is not wanting any of it, i would suggest for the long term start growing your grass very very long and then hand cut it/pull at it (not mow it with grass lawn mower naturaly due to fermentation starting process) and then dry it. My bunnies are picky hay eaters also, but they love the smell of the fresh garden grass that you turn into hay yourself. i also had to show my bunnies tough love too, they would get only bare minimum of green veg and real grass until they ate same hay rather them wanting treats all the time. have to think of mine as spoilt children. lol.

Again it could be a tooth issue. Have you tried Readigrass (or something similar) it smells delicious and my lot go mad for it. Not quite as good as hay as it's shorter strands but it's better than nothing! :wave:

My bunnys love the Stalky hay from Dustfreehay and also the Ings hay I give mine a handful of readi grass as a treat now an again :)

Thanks for your posts ,I think he is just very fussy, because he will eat grass, nuggets,dandelions and blackberry leaves,broccoli stem, but will book an appointment next wk to get him checked out. Have just bought some timothy alfalfa and he is nibbling at it .

Back